• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired XX: ***MagIRC65***MONSTER**Pulled**

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Sale:
MagIRC65
This light is a variation on the Mag*** theme. I'm not really sure what to call it. Mag447? MagIRC? FrankenMag? It's built using AWRs Hotdriver specifically built by AWR for use in the big IRC lights and uses the 65W Osram Halostar IRC bulb. It's built in a 6D Mag body with a 3D extension to hold 15 4Ah 1/2D NiMH cells delivering 18V nominal. The Hotdriver is set to 18.75 volts. With freshly charged cells, it holds 18.75 volts at the bulb (until my probes began to melt). I placed aluminum foil between the insulation and the inner surface of the Mag body to reflect IR back inside the body instead of being absorbed by the aluminum tube. The foil and refractory insulation are absolutely necessary to extend run time. This light is truly impressive in it's size and power.​
There are no marks on this light. It is flawless.​

Included components:
6D Mag Black​
3D extension​
2 x Osram Halostar 64447 Bi-pin bulbs​
Camless MS reflector​
Boro-float lens​
AWR Hotdriver, IRC spec​
KIU ceramic socket​
Ceramic refractory insulation​
Stubby tail spring with fix​
15 x 1/2D 4000mAh NiMH batteries​
PVC charging tube​

Not Included:
Charger ($30 additional)​

Shipping will be via UPS ground. I have no idea what shipping will cost because of the odd size. After purchase I'll PM the buyer with the actual shipping costs.​

img1746vn5.jpg

img1747xi3.jpg

The first :takeit: gets it.
PayPal: [email protected]

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Re: FS: ***MagIRC65*** MONSTER $445

Does it come with a free shoulder harness and complimentary first month's visit to the chiropracter? =D

Wow, that sucker's huge. Must be a loooooot o' lumens coming forth from that baby.

- FITP

Illum

Flashaholic

JimmyM said:
Shipping will be via UPS ground. I have no idea what shipping will cost because of the odd size.

um, according to my experience....

I had a mag 3D and 6D shipped from NJ to FL, the postal for USPS priority is $7.70 they were shipped w/o batteries in a tube container thats 94.2 cm long 8 cm dia.

hope this helps....

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll throw in a piece of rope and some duct tape if that will sweeten the deal. :grin2:
Oh, this thing throws a wall of light! Check out the 65W IRC threads. With the ceramic insulation and 1/2Ds, it throws for a while too. At 10 minutes the head was too hot to touch but it hadn't shut down yet. I giggle every time I turn it on.

Illum_the_nation.
It does help. Thanks. I'm more a fan of FedEx or UPS, but this gets me in the ballpark.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shipping might be cheapest in two boxes. One Flat-rate box for all the cells and whatever else will fit (heads, tailcaps) and another for the bodies.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: ***MagIRC65***MONSTER**Price Drop**

NICE MOD.
Happy selling !

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyM said:
This light has been pulled from sale. I've got bigger plans for this light.

9 li-ion D cells? I can't think of anything that would use that much voltage.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
monkeyboy said:
9 li-ion D cells? I can't think of anything that would use that much voltage.

No. Not Li-Ions. A more powerful bulb. ~175W.

BUT, (9*3.7) 33.3V would run a 600W landing light with some REAL authority. However, the D Li-Ions I'm getting won't support the 20+ amp draw. I'd have to build a 9S2P pack. That would require an "over-under" style Mag tube arrangement. A real mess.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't be running voltages that high in a Mag body. I've got a couple of 64458 bulbs out to AWR to look into. The numbers look promising. Overdriving at 18v turns into ~7400+ lumens/~170W. At 10 amps these 1/2Ds hold 1.2+ volts for about 20 minutes.

Illum

Flashaholic
JimmyM said:
I won't be running voltages that high in a Mag body. I've got a couple of 64458 bulbs out to AWR to look into. The numbers look promising. Overdriving at 18v turns into ~7400+ lumens/~170W. At 10 amps these 1/2Ds hold 1.2+ volts for about 20 minutes.

not to ruin your fun, but consider the possibility of thermal runaway or venting of lithiums when running that kind of current on a hot bulb

not to be picky, but safety comes first:grin2:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
not to ruin your fun, but consider the possibility of thermal runaway or venting of lithiums when running that kind of current on a hot bulb
not to be picky, but safety comes first:grin2:

Sure it does, but 10A is only 2C. The cells should be minimum of 5Ah. Some folks push 18650s to 2C and farther. All the cells have a PTC and protection PCB. I'm not too worried.
The post you responded to was regarding 1/2D NiMH cells anyway.