Drive from San Diego to San Fransisco

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
We are vacationing in California next week. We are planning to drive from San Diego to San Fransisco and have two days to do the drive.

What would be a good midway point for the overnight stay? I also suspect that the entire drive does not have to be on the coastal route. What routes should we take to make this drive fun and relaxing?

On the way back from SF to LA, we will take the I-5 and will have to complete that drive in a day.

There we will do usual LA/SD stuff such as LegoLand, Universal and may be touch of Mexico etc.

Thanks for any suggestions and/or tips
- Vikas

D

**DONOTDELETE**

San Diego has a great zoo..
There's a Seaquarium down there too, somewhere..l would think you would want to stay near the coast as much as possible, it's more beautiful further North, don't forget to stop for salmon, (I mean to eat, not crossing the road:>)...cooler by the coast if the weather hottens up again..

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you only want to partway on the coast, You might go through Fort Liggett Hunter. Either drive up Route 1 until you get to the Nacimiento Ferguson Road near Lucia. I think it first road between the inland and the coast between the north end of Big Sur. There may be an inland road at Cambria to the South. If not, the next inland road would be at Morro Bay.

There is an inexpensive historical landmark in the center of the fort that used to be a cowboy outrider bunkhouse for the Hearst Ranch. It is privately run as a guest house. Reservations are usually available a week in advance even in the summer. It is off the beaten path and quite worth an evening. Rooms are massively oversize in this adobe/masonry structure. I forget the name, but this should provide enough clues to figure it out.

I think you'd have trouble booking places in Big Sur at this time, although you could book in Monterrey or Carmel North of Big Sur.

You could also book around Cambria near the Hearst Castle.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
What would be a good midway point for the overnight stay? I also suspect that the entire drive does not have to be on the coastal route. What routes should we take to make this drive fun and relaxing?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think driving in CA and fun and relaxing is an oxymoron!
wink.gif
Then again - it could happen - if everyone stayed home so you could have the road to yourselves...

Being a CA native, life long resident and driver of all 3 cities probably makes me a little jaded - but it can be done. Pick a time going through LA when you won't be in the morning or evening traffic - it won't be pretty. A weekend might be best. The same goes for Orange county - which is half way between SD and LA.

Taking the coast route will take at least twice as long as freeways - you'll pass through a lot of small towns with lower speed limits and winding roads. From SD to San Clemente, you go along the ocean on 5 - a major highway - so you'll get the coast without much fuss.

Then I suggest you go inland, cut over 405 through LA and over to 101, which again, goes along the coast for a-ways, starting at Ventura up to Santa Barbara. At that point, there's no choice - you go inland.

Stay over night in San Luis Obispo at the Madonna Inn. Every room is unique - check out the website. That will be around a 300 mile drive - you could even take a sidetrip to Solvang and eat at Anderson's - famous for their split pea soup.

For the rest of the trip - drive up the coast on hwy 1 to SF. This will be slow going, as it's a majorly winding road. Stop in Carmel and maybe if you're lucky, you'll see Clint Eastwood around there!
cool.gif
Then you can either finish the drive up the coast or move inland on 101, arriving in SF after 200+ miles.

On the way back from SF to LA, we will take the I-5 and will have to complete that drive in a day.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This drive will be the most boring, but it's fairly quick: 5-6 hours, depending on speed and how many times you stop. Try not to go back on a Friday. I did that once and almost went nuts - there must've been 1000 trucks that day - doh!

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
One word: Amtrack.

Travel light, see the countryside, spend your money on enjoying yourself. Rent a car if you need one at the destination.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, you wanna stop in San Luis Obispo / Pismo Beach. Spend the day on the waterslides or driving on the beach. Just don't drive your car down to where you see the dune buggy's & trucks.

When You check into your motel, call ahead to Hearst Castle and arrange a tour on the way north. It's an hour or so up hwy 1 (San Simeon) and there are several tours. It also makes for a nice day stop before your arrive at your next destination - Carmel / Monte Ray..

Yeah, you could go inland and get to drive faster but you won't see much and you'll get bored of 100 degree heat real fast. You decide, you're on VACATION

Enjoy..
cool.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Artie Choke:

Reservations at the Madonna Inn usually need to be made far in advance, particularly if there is a particular theme room you want.

Even if you can't stay there it has the most interesting urinal in the state. Even women guests queue up to see it when it's not in use.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by lemlux:
Artie Choke:

Reservations at the Madonna Inn usually need to be made far in advance, particularly if there is a particular theme room you want.

Even if you can't stay there it has the most interesting urinal in the state. Even women guests queue up to see it when it's not in use.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I suspect if you're not picky, a room could be found. And I totally forgot about the bathroom! I won't say a thing - ya gotta experience this one on your own!
wink.gif

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
come on guys - Morro Bay - there is nothing even close - charming little fishing town - great harbor - otters on the sand bars - cool bookstores - cheap hotels. What more can you ask?

http://morro-bay.com

I used to sail for money on the West Coast between the Canal and the San Juans 15-20 times a year - Morro Bay was my all favorite south of the Oregon border.

Best - Michel