Dorcy 1AAA current?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the old models Dorcy 1AAA overdrove the LEDs at around 50 mA. The new lensed models with white reflectors seem to drive them at less (half?) current.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
vetkaw63 wrote: "Can somebody tell me how much current the Dorcy 1 AAA light flows?"

Thank you for asking this question - as it made me go measure the current draw at the battery - and this revealed something I did NOT know....

Preface -
there has been 3 generations of the Dorcy 1AAA model 41-4234,
see:
A Classic Revisited - Dorcy 1AAA (link)

There is a "new" version which has been called here "gen 4" -
however I think Dorcy probably regards this as a different model - as it actually has a different model # 41-4222 - see

a New Dorcy 1AAA (link)

Dorcy 1AAA Family portrait -
NewDorcySz.jpg

The currently available model 41-4234 is gen 3 a lensed/spot version with diamond patterned rubber inserts -

Current draw reading at the battery -

AAA alkaline battery at 1.543V open-circuit -

model 41-4234

gen 3 = 0.15A
gen 2 = 0.30A
gen 1 = 0.28A

model 41-4222 "gen 4" = 0.14A

Last edited:

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Is this just a resistor at .015a and if so can the resistor be removed/replaced to allow say a tenth of an amp - .1a or higher? or say .5a for some real juice. I bought one of these at Wal-Mart and it just doen't have very much output even in the dark, I hoped it would be twice as bright as it is. I don't need tons of run time 1 hour or 2 woud be fine if I could up the output. I got gen 3 but I went there hopeing to get gen 4, I'd like to keep it but not if I can't tripple the output, they also had some cool Dorcy Lanters for $2.67 see my post here if that interest you. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/142233

SuperTorch

Enlightened
I got to looking at the electornics can't I just by pass and do a direct drive or will that burn up the LED? I can't really tell how it works with the aluminum body as a conductor?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
SuperTorch wrote: "I got to looking at the electornics can't I just by pass and do a direct drive or will that burn up the LED? I can't really tell how it works with the aluminum body as a conductor?"

May be I've missed something.

A single AAA battery is nominally 1.5V and that is well below the required Vf for a typical 5mm white LED as in the Dorcy 1AAA
(so direct driving the LED with a single AAA probably would get very dim results,
and no where in danger of doing the LED any harm - unless you beat it with the battery
tongue.gif
) -

The circuit is a step-up - which as the name implies steps the voltage from the battery up to the designed voltage (normally just a little above the rated Vf)

and yes, the alumium body is the conductor.

Latest posts