Help picking out headlamp.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Would like to consider the following criteria.
1.Around $100.00 USD
2.Comfortable to wear
3.LED..ONLY
4.Use rechargeables only.. protected 123 or 18650 or other rechargeables considered.
5.Want more light output that discount store brands.
6.No belt battery pack must be self contained.
7.Not looking to light up the woods but enough light that my FT01 is not in constant use.
8.Multiple settings would be nice.
9.Run time of 2 to 4 hours.
10.A blue or green tint is ok so as not to spook game, I hog hunt at night.

I appreciate any & all input.
RM

Brum

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... The criteria don't match up.
Let's see:

1. Around $100USD - PT Apex won't do that, Brunton L3 will.
2. Comfortable to wear - PT Apex, Brunton L3(!!), Petzl Myo XP will do that. Make sure you put the topstrap on. You'll have 2 barhairdays but it'll be much more comfortable.
3. LED
4. Li-ion rechargeables - PT Apex Pro, and I believe a Streamlight headlamp will do that. Otherwise it'll be AA or AAA. The Brunton L3 has an external D-cell carrier.
7 + 8 + 5 = Multiple outputs with a 3W high beam and a 4x5mm flood beam --> PT Apex. The L3 will provide a LOT of output, don't know if it's decently dimmable.
9. Runtime. On high, there aren't much normal store headlamps that will accustom such runtimes. Just the L3 with external bat pack, I believe.
10. Dunno about this.

The above mentioned Tactikka is also a good candidate, as it matches a few of you're specific needs, but it also lacks a few. But honestly, I don't think that there is a light that has all the points you mentioned.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Okay good info.
I'm not as concerned with the $ amount as I am quality.
I put in 100 just so no one would think that I wanted something for nothing.
I believe after doing some research that I want one that has a power regulator built in,also i'm gonna give in on the batterys being in with the headband & say that a belt pack would be ok if necessary. I may have to do some searching as I am gonna stick with rechargeable batteries. Does anyone know if the green or blue filters that come with the tactikka xp put out any useful light or just close up map reading type light? Please keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks..RM

Hog

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda leaning torward the Apex Pro & protected rcr123's.
Anybody got one that runs this setup?
RM

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Apex pro. With the protected RcRs the light will go out on you with no warning. It is very light weight and comfortable. More comfortable than any headlamp I own (and I own them all)

Have you read the safety thread about LiIon batteries? Its pretty scary thinking about them on the back of my head. I'm thinking about returning it. It is a Lux lottery winner though so I am reluctant.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/106242

Last edited:

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link on the safety info.
Pretty interesting.
RM

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Re:Apex pro CPF dealer.

Any CPF members that carry this line at reasonable prices?
Hog

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine at brightguy. If you are interested I'll sell you mine at the same brightguy price, but free CONUS shipping.

It has a real nice bin LED. Its brighter and has a nicer tint than my Regular Apex.

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Re: Daves offer.

Thanks Dave but found one here locally from a guy that really needs the buisness. I have a bit of a soft spot for the small stores that have to compete with the big chains so i'm gonna pay a little more. I dertainly do appreciate the offer & all the advice & input. Apex pro will be shining in the deep woods this weekend on protected rechargeables.I'll post how I like it compared to my old 2 led brinkman 3aaa..
naughty.gif
HOG

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

according to your specs:

Streamlight Argo HP

is your best bet... followed up by the Apex Pro which really hasn't become fully available yet...

Your going to need to run the 17670/17650's... or primary cr123's

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hog said:
... I dertainly do appreciate the offer & all the advice & input. Apex pro will be shining in the deep woods this weekend on protected rechargeables.I'll post how I like it compared to my old 2 led brinkman 3aaa..
naughty.gif
HOG

Keep an eye on the runtime and have a backup available. The protected rechargables will kick out with no warning after about an hour. Its best not to stress the batteries by using the low voltage protection circuit so recharge early and often. It probably is a good idea to use it once and time it to see how long they last.

When you are ready to mod to a Ubin and a reflector PM me and I'll give you some tips. Or just search CPF.

TMorita

Enlightened
Heck, why choose...they're like Pokemon. Gotta get 'em AWL!

Toshi

(2 BD Moonlights, BD Zenix IQ, Petzl Zoom, Petzl Micro, Dorcy 1 watt 3AAA, 2 Rayovac 3-in-1s, Garrity 3-in-1 3AAA, Garrity 3LED, EG 0.3 watt, Pelican Headsup 2630, 2 RR 0.5 watts, 2 Energizer coin headlamps, Cyclops Atom, etc...)

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the assistance.
Dave I will take your advice & get a run time right off the bat.
I plan on using RCR123a..protected 900mAh, unless that is not a good idea?
Hog

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Re: Apex Pro is here

Had a little delay getting my pro here but it has arrived.
Can't wait for it to get dark to try it out.
Quality & finish appear top notch.
On my bald head though I look like a collective from the borg.(Star Trek)
Hog

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Re: Apex Pro is here

I have to say this is an awesome light.
It has plenty of adjustment for comfort, and the light options are remarkable.
It gets a double thumbs up.
Hog

Hog

Newly Enlightened
Maybe unprotected

I gotta say Dave is spot on when he said the protecteds will die without warning. Anyone know if the unprotecteds will give a longer run time.
On high I only get 30 min with my protecteds tried 2 different sets both fresh charged & only 2 months old.
Hog

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hog - I've been thinking about getting this light also and have a question: are the RCRs you are using 3.6v or 3.0v? I have some 3.6v already and if this light can handle the extra voltage, then I'll probably go this way, otherwise I'll get the AA model and use NiMH.

To answer your question - I believe unprotecteds will give a slightly longer runtime but you have to keep a much closer eye on your timer because running them down too low can damage the batteries and cause problems.