Wiring a rechargeable light in a vehicle?

superduty

Newly Enlightened
I have a streamlight ultrastinger that I am going to mount in my truck.

Streamlight recommends wiring to unswitched 12v so that it charges all the time.

Mag recommends switched 12v power for their magchargers.

I realize I have a streamlight so why not just follow streamlights recommendations, but I want to understand why it should be unswitched and what are the drawbacks of using switched power.

I am gonna guess I wont be using this light very often, just want it to be ready to go when needed- maybe a few times per month?

FWIW - my driving habits are as follows - Mon thru Fri: about 15 minutes to work, truck sits for 10 hours, then 15 minutes to get back home and truck sits for 14 hours. Figure, twice a week there will be additional driving.

On the weekends it will vary, but I figure I drive enough to charge the light for use.

I think streamlight says the charger has a .1 amp draw. Not sure if that will cause any problems with the truck battery if using unswitched 12v.

So what are your thoughts on this issue. pros and cons of the different ways of wiring it.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
a switch is cheap insurance (i.e. what happens when you go on vacation). Since its low amp low draw I would def go for cheap little switch. I know its more work, but it will suck if you have to go back and fix it

superduty

Newly Enlightened
When I said switched I meant switched by the ignition. Apparently streamlight doesnt like the idea of the charger going on and off everytime you start and stop the vehicle. I did not mean a switch in line to it.

If I do wire it to unswitched power, it is always simple to just unplug the cradle from the wire when going on vacation or when the vehicle wont be driven for a while.

So what are your votes? switched or unswitched?????

hburner

Enlightened
Superduty,

I had the same setup in my truck for over a year. I vote for going for the unswitced. As long as it is not charging you are not really pulling anything at all off the battery. As long as the truck does sit for say a week at a time you will be fine. I never had a bit of trouble out of mine and I had the US straight wired and the Strion straight wired also. Matter of fact I still have the Strion charger mounted in the truck and wired in even though I do not have the light anymore. Your best bet is to go straightwired, HB.