EDC and the Winter Effect

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that the weather is cold and we have more dark than light, well at least in the Northern Hemisphere, I don't find myself carrying an extra light in my jacket pockets. I do find myself strapping one of my favorite incans to my belt (E2d, E1e, and 9P) and jacket pocketing a full spares carrier. The dark drizzley nights are just made for enjoying your incans. Especially when one has a full spares carrier on hand. My LEDs are in hibernation until the warm weather returns.

Anyone else feel this way?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the same lights no matter the season. I still for the most part prefer LEDs, mostly because of their battery life. Why would that change because of winter? In fact with longer/earlier nights, battery life if more important if anything.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same like me, no differences due to seasons. Reasons to change the lights are only different tasks.

Best regards

____
Tom

bray

Newly Enlightened
im with ya man. i never thought about it but i do use more incans in the winter but regardless lop se in the pocket

Gatsby

Enlightened
I carry my Strion more often in cooler weather for a couple reasons - first I have a coat with pockets that make it practical to keep it with me; second it gets darker earlier and I like to have the throw and power when walking to my car - incandescent cuts through ambient city light a lot better than my HDS. Since it's rechargeable I don't worry a lot about battery life!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I always have either my Fenix L0P, Fenix E 1 or my Huntlight FT-A3 on my key chain with my car keys, reguardless of the weather.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see that...a good SF in its EDC position and a SC in your jacket pocket, especially if you are outside a lot or just prefer incan light. We all have our preferences. Until a modamag draco shows up my actual EDC is still an old ARC AAA. My nylon briefcase is usually close by with an HDS etc. and spares carrier. If I go to an outdoor area at night I carry either the HDS or an A2 depending on where I'm going. Big HotWire goes in the truck at night no matter what.

All of my lights get used more this time of year. The greatest change in use is the HotWires for yard sweeps, parking lot sweeps, fishing and hiking.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Instead of just carrying my Arc-P AAA, I carry my SureFire L1 in my jacket pocket as well.

CandleLite

Newly Enlightened
Winter is all the more reason to carry LEDs since they are used more in the longer nights and have better runtime. Have two in the car, one brighter 1W ,with strobe in case I have to attract the attention of other drivers, and a 2AA 3 LED for long runtime. A photon on the keychain and a Fenix in the pocket of the winter jacket. Must be prepared!!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although is does not get much below freezing were I am located, it is good to know my lithium-ion powered FF3 can withstand cold. I've had alkaline lights die on me in frigid weather until I warmed the batteries up. The Fire~Fly also makes a great hand warmer on burst :)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Now that the weather has turned cool it's time to clip the RR 2AAA to the inside pocket of my jacket. Sometimes the Arc LSL will go in the pocket instead. Of course there's always some manner of small Fenix in my pant's pocket and now the old Arc AAA on the keychain.

Geoff

Max Brightness

Enlightened
In summer, the Arc-p AAA is the main EDC. In winter, HDS U60 is the main EDC. I will throw another in my bag or coat pocket (A2, L2, L1 are favourties for this). I like having the larger light for easier carry with gloves.

My A2 is my favourite evening walking light all year round, and I really enjoy it during wet evenings.

gallagho

Enlightened
Which lights get hotter on the outside in general? LED or Incan?

I'm thinking of hand-warmer potential!! It's pretty chilly here in the UK!

Owen