Anyone know where I can find h4 auto bulb bases?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a hold of a HID kit, everything is complete except that the HID bulbs have no bases. I was thinking of getting some halogen bulbs and drilling them out to fit these bulbs, but if someone knows a source for just the bases I would greatly appreciate it.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should have came with the kit. Unless you got the universal. I recomend contacting the maker of the HID kit. Let us know how it turns out.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ya know, for somone who wants to be a future engineer or automobiles I have a dumb question...HID bulbs are highly sensative to shock. I could understand some type of shock absorbing system being built into new cars but how are conversion kit HID bulbs protected from shock?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well..this kit wasn't bought, my friend gave it to me, for some reason there is no base and wiring harness ( which is why he did give it to me). Saaby, I always thought HID bulbs were more resistant to shock becacuse it doesnt have a filament?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well resistant when they're off but if you drop your lightcannon (HID mind you) you'll have to replace the bulb, as I understand it they become very delecate when they're on.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light cannon is especially fragile mainly because of the small and delicate arc tube in its tiny 10 watt lamp- as small as they get. 35 watt D2s type automotive halide lamps are constructed to a much higher degree of durability, largely because of the vibrations that naturally occur in vee-hickles but also inherant in the higher power design (thicker quartz glass envelope, etc).

As far as I know, the state of a halide lamp (off or on) does not adverseley affect its durability. It`s the control gear you have to watch. Some older DC inverter-ballast designs had a high output resistance, meaning that with no lamp to keep things under check, the output voltage rose to dangerous levels when the power was applied- enough to breach wiring/socket insulation and potentially cause excessive currents and heat- burning the fixture. Today`s designs are probably better, but still some ignitors could fire even with no lamp, and those things can give 30Kv or more which at the very least, will hurt like f**k
shocked.gif

But with the proper base for the lamps, you shouldn`t have to worry about shocks. They are more than adequate to cope with everyday use.

grin.gif

Latest posts