For those that EDC, what do you use your light for most?

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I am just getting into the start of a light collection and am trying to decide which one will work best for me for EDC. I have gotten by till now without ever carrying a light and can't think of many times that I wish I had one around. Just curious, what do you find yourself using them for?????

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dark places! LOL

All kidding aside, they usually don't get any daytime use. They are on me just incase.

kelmo

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work: in the warehouse/storage where it is dark a lot. In large boxes. Inside machines or equipment. Under cars to look at parts, numbers, damage, etc.

At home: basement & storage room where my only light is very dim and partially blocked by boxes. Back yard/garage. Any room I'm just walking through and don't want to bother turning on the lightswitch (sometimes they are not in convenient places). Jogging at night.

Terry_Dodson

Newly Enlightened
I use mine everyday, looking inside PC's and the like. I use it outside for my dogs, and see what is around outside. I even helped a guy at a theatre that dropped his cell phone :grin2: not to mention other people are always borrowing also.

Roccomo

Enlightened
I use mine in and around the house at night. Also use the light for looking at anything closeup that doesn't have enough light on it already. Also fun to play with.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally looking in dark places...things like changing scart leads on the back of the TV and stuff that you would struggle with in "normal" low-light conditions.

Mooching around the house at night without having to switch on lights and dazzle my sleepy eyes.

Navigating to the electric cupboard when my leccy goes (I'm on one of those card meters).

And of course shining them at any noises you encounter when on your travels at night.

Once you have a few nice flashlghts you will find that you use them for the sheer sake of it.

CFU

MikeF

Enlightened
The most important usage I use my Lionheart for is making sure there are no overhead power lines or obstructions before raising the mast or Satellite dish on my work trucks. My work shift is 3:00am-12:00pm, so a good part of my shift is in the dark. I edc many lighting tools both in my pockets and in camera and tool kits.

Coop57

Enlightened
I deliver meds (non narcotic) / pickup blood/urine samples at doc offices early in the morning. I have about 10 different stops. Some are well lit and some are very dark. I edc my trusty L1P in my right front pocket. It gets most used. I have a SF e2e with L1 head in a Ripoff holster on my belt. It is nice but gets used less. The L1P just seems real handy.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Whatever low power needs arise day to day. I just carry a single AAA light of various brands for EDC, so my use of that light is just the small jobs. The key is having it with you for those unforseeable needs.

Geoff

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
Nuwai QIII with UCL: Walking the dog, checking dark corners, illuminating my car's keyhole.
My Peak Matterhorn has a Mag Solitaire lanyard, attached to my keyring and I let it hang out of my pocket all the time. So when it's dark I usually don't hit the light switch at the stairs in my house, but I turn on my Peak and walk up-/downstairs with my Peak hanging out of my pocket illuminating the stairs.

hburner

Enlightened
I get a kick out of using my C3 with the P91 when the maintenence guys are working in an electrical panel and are using their AA mag or a cheap led light. I will walk up and light up the whole thing! Bad thing is they want me to stand their and hold it for them while they work, NOT. It really screws them up when I turn it off and their all that is left is their weak light so I quit doing it. HB.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
I use mine for work. I'm a Cabinetmaker and Cabinet Installer, and doing lots of remodels these days. 9 of 10 jobs are major remodels, and when I come in to install cabinets, there often are no lights yet.

I've also become accustomed to using flashlights around the house most of the time. I find I'm using the house lighting less and less unless doing something that actually requires it such as dish washing. I even seem to do loads of laundry lately with a mouth held light rather than turn on the house lights. Also, showering by bounce light is nicer for some reason......more like camping or something.

My EDC are rotated occasionally with HDS EDC, Fenix L1P, LIP/123, L1T/123, L0P/L0P-SE and my Chinese Clones get a ton of use. I have one on a keychain, and another sometimes on a neck lanyard. They produce just the right amount of light for finding screws in hinges, and pencil marks inside dark cabinets without blinding me.

I worked for several hours in a laundry room with a gazillion cabinets going wall to wall and stacked on top of each other on both ends of the room, and had no lighting whatsoever. My HDS provided the bounce light needed for nearly a whole day of work in the dark.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I work in an IT Technical ServiceDesk, so not much use for lights at work apart from when my own PC dies!:laughing:
At home, my edc's are in use around the house, outside and basically in any place with insufficient light for the task at hand.