Mag85 Amp draw question

nickz

Enlightened
I have a mag85 I built some time ago sitting here that I just now checked the amperage draw on. With cbp1650's it draws about 3 amps plus or minus a bit. I have read elsewhere here that the amperage draw should be in the 4-5 amp range.... Any ideas what is going on here with this light?

The light is setup right now as follows:
cbp1650's
modamag 3D-9aa
Fivemega PR to bi pin socket
WA1185

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amps equal volts divided by resistance, so you may have a lot of resistance in your light from the bulb holder and stock switch.

litho123

Enlightened
The 1185 bulb draws 3.15a @ spec. + or - 5%

On overdrive, it draws in the range of 3.30a - 3.60a.

It will never be in the 4-5amp range.

With the resistance in the stock Magswitch, it does effect the performance of the light ... so your figure of 3+ amps sounds about where it should be.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
No way a Mag85 is supposed to be in the 4-5 amp range.

3.40A at start settling into 3.30A is very good. 3.15 - 3.25 is just fine. Below 3.00A is not good. In that case, Josey's resistance suggestion might be correct. Josey knows Hotwires for sure. It could be the modamag batt holder. It could be that if the fivemega lamp holder has received a lot of lamp installations/de-installations it might be the problem. I would suggest that you may have a cell gone stupid...possibly bad. Cycling your cells might work.

Of course, the obvious is a question. When was the last time the batt pack was fully charged?

nickz

Enlightened
Well I just checked some things out and it seems some of my resistance is the modamag holder. I tightened things up a bit with a few thicker magnets. I am going to try swapping cells tonight to see if I have a bad one in the mix. I do feel better to hear the amp draw should be in the 3.xx range. I think I'll pick up a new fivemega battery holder for this light as my modamag holder is getting pretty worn. THe pack was I figure at about 70% capacity so that is likely part of the problem too. I think I have been taking too much cold medicine to think clearly lately.

My ROP Hi draws about 4.2 or 4.3 amps on the same switch assembly so I think I have eliminated that from the equation. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

nickz

Enlightened
Thanks for the help on this one everyone. I was beginning to worry as it was the last of the 9 cells I swapped out that put me back up to 3.40 amp draw. Working much better now. Now to see if I can get this cell conditioned and working again by chance.