Flashlights for your kids?

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
We show off our lights, but how many have passed this bug onto our kids? What lights do your kids carry, or keep?

My 13 year old has a headlight for chores (PT, forget the model), a MagAA in her favorite color purple, and a yellow G2. Would love to find her one of the purple A2's I have seen on this site! She is getting a little Arc Camo for Christmas, which she will go crazy over because it is different:)

After reading the safety threads, I am re-thinking kids and CR123a's. Not sure, really.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A few years back my son received a PT Attitude, Dorcy AAA, and Dorcy AA. Sadly I was unable to awaken any latent flashaholism in him. He's 17 now and far too cool to care. At least he humors me.

Geoff

DrJ

Enlightened
My kids are pretty young so they mainly play with lights, (hmmmm...I guess I do that too....), my girls like to do shows (like Highschool Musical type things) and some 3*LED AAA $5 lights with red, blue and green LEDs are very popular for that sort of thing. When we go camping, they like anything easy to use that puts out decent light. They like to learn about new things including lights, but don't really have much real use for them yet....

I gave them squeeze lights, so those are the ones they actually own...generally no CR123's for the kids, and I'm going toward using only single cell primary CR123 lights myself...(most of my go to lights are rechargeable now anyway...lights that are just going to sit have primaries)....

Last edited:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
My three year old daughter has a Princess Incadescent and a Princess Led. She loves flashlights:)

clara_flashlight1.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 8 yr old has a 2aa garrety modded with smjled(mini mag clone but with a side clicky) ,Long runtime, A xnova 7 led clone. For xmas he is getting a 5 D Rayovac woodsman( He really wants this bad) I stay with Regular alk or nimh for the kids.He also wants a Ergo rave multi color light,Ill have to look at the BST forums,havent seem one in a while.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I do think a Mini Mag, Incandescant or LED is an excellent Light for a child, and for that matter, dollar value wise, is a solid Light at a nice price point.

vic303

Enlightened
My monkeys love flashlights and are constantly stealing my L1P and my FT02xj. Son has a SafeLight, and youngest daughter has a Dot-it.

BayGleam

Newly Enlightened
I got my two kids (10 and 7) the Energizer Folding LED Light for reading during car trips and camping trips. Got them at my local Target for $6.99 each so it won't hurt too much if the lights get lost. These folding lights work well for our intended purpose and so far have proven to be pretty durable.

My 10 year old also has one of the County Comm $1 squeeze lights attached to her backpack so she'll always have light available when she's searching its contents. Great light for the price!

My kids now come to me asking to borrow one of my flashlights instead of turning on a lamp when they're looking for things they need in darkened parts of the house so I think I'm subconsciously and inevitably converting them.
rolleye11.gif
grinser2.gif

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
My three-and-a-half year old loves playing flashlights with me - especially throwing shadows on her bedroom wall.

So I tried lending her my Minimag w/Nite Ize, but found she is amazingly proficient at stripping it to peices. She even gets the LED unit out, the 'o' rings and the plastic lense. . . then I have to put it together again. I decided not to make the loan permanent.

She prefers keychain LEDs, in various colours - I find the $1 Photon clones are hard for her to switch on and they don't look all that childproof to me. So I get her those chunky dollar store keychain lights that are too large to actually go on a keychain.

I'm toying with the idea of getting her something bigger for christmas, something LED with a couple of D cells. . . so I'm watching this thread.

She does prefer anything that's brighter. It's like magic. She's just drawn to it. And it's no good talking to her about runtime!

Her sister's favourite light - she's one-and-a-half - is my 2aa ruberbodied Eveready Energizer w/SMJ LED. The rubber body means its chew-proof and can be hammered on the floor.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
I don't have any kids yet but one day I would love to pass on all of my hobbies to some offspring...I have a 13 year old sister who I try to talk to about flashlights and knives and she acts nice about it and listens but I know she doesn't care, lol...but my parents are the same way...they just are happy that I am happy...lol...My friends love my knives but don't care about flashlights no matter how hard I try to get them into them...so all I have is you guys to talk about flashlights with...

skillet

Enlightened
My sixteen year son old has:
1 - 6P w/BO 3W drop-in
1 - Q3 w/TV1J
1 - Blue MM w/Niteize 3Led drop-in and Kroll
1 - Energizer 3Led Headlamp modded with Nichias
various multipurpose lanyards

My 14 year old son has:
1 - SL ProPoly 4AA Lux3
1 - Silver MM w/Niteize 3Led drop-in and Kroll
1 - Blue Dorcy 1AAA Led
1 - RiverRock 2AAA
various multipurpose lanyards

My 12 year old daughter has
1 - Black MM w/Niteize 3Led drop-in and Kroll (purple lanyard)
*** Unlimited accces to her brothers' lights (and mine I would reckon) cause she's the baby and a girl to boot... :) **

Gordon aka:skillet

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 3 year old has my L0P, and the 5 year old has a Soli with the new SMJLED. They also have a $.84 walmart light with PR2 SMJLED to share. They really like my old ExE modded head also, but it is bodiless right now and doesn't do them much good.

schiesz

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4 year old son has access to all my lights, but prefers to keep the E1L by his bedside. Technically the E1L isn't his though.. He also has a 2C Mag LED.
My daughter, just turned three has the coolest modded hot pink mini-mag, however she usually turns to her Crayola crayon 2AA multi color light..
Both kids have Eternalight derringers too, they use those outside when camping.

PB220890.jpg

swampgator

Enlightened
My two year old has an old Minimag of mine as well as one of my Fulton Angle Heads.

I posted this before but it bears repeating. I was thumbing through a Harbor Freight flyer the other day and he says, "hey dad, look at those cool flashlights!" My wife rolled her eyes and said, "a two year old version of you!"

So yeah, I passed my bug on to him.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to keep my 4 year old away from my brighter and nicer lights as she will break them and blind herself but I like to give my old mini mag and a triple 5mm LED light to play with. She is a bit like me and just loves to play with the lights.