What is the brightest LED setup I can buy for a 2xAA maglite?

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Hi there. I'm new to the forums. I have a few flashlights already. I just recently got the 2C and 3D 3W LED bulb from Maglite in the local store. Now that I've got both units on power saving energy LED's I'd like to get my 2AA and 1AAA flashlights on LED's. More the 2AA right now because I bike a lot and I need something to signal to the left turn and right turn traffic when they're turing so they can see me as often drivers seen to be in inattention with the radio/looking the other way.

I use a 2C w/maglite 3W retrofit LED right now with 2xAA batteries in C cell adaptors and this works fine when I'm riding to beam into the drivers window so they see me. I'm not just relying on the 2C but my bike has front/back lights and I've got a reflecting vest that covers me front/back and the sides. I'd just like to have a smaller package so I can dummy cord to the backpack then sticking the 2C in the back pocket. Seeing as it's getting colder now the fingers get a bit colder so reaching back to the backpocket for the light does not always work.

What I would like to know is what is the brightest LED mod I can put into a 2xAA maglite? Does anyone have links to this? Also what is the run time as well. I am primarily using the light for a quick on/off spotting while riding and not always on as I have my own main headlight. Can someone list me say from the most powerful to the weakest mods with links? Thank you in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

Zero_Enimga

greenLED

Flashaholic
Zero, welcome to CPF!!

The brightest drop-in for a Minimag would be something from the Sandwich Shoppe; I'm guessing a NG917 with a T-bin LuxIII (Luxeon LED). Or maybe you can get someone to build you a LuxV pill and you can run it off 2x14500 li-ions. :devil:

Will either setups be really practical? Nope. Will they be bright? Yeah. :devil:

The best guide for what's available for the 2AA minimag is AuroraLite's "dummy guide for minimag modding" (do a search with all those keywords and you'll find it).

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Zero, welcome to CPF!!

The brightest drop-in for a Minimag would be something from the Sandwich Shoppe; I'm guessing a NG917 with a T-bin LuxIII (Luxeon LED). Or maybe you can get someone to build you a LuxV pill and you can run it off 2x14500 li-ions. :devil:

Will either setups be really practical? Nope. Will they be bright? Yeah. :devil:

The best guide for what's available for the 2AA minimag is AuroraLite's "dummy guide for minimag modding" (do a search with all those keywords and you'll find it).

The question is HOW MUCH does it cost tho? I hail north of the 49th parallel and the 2C/3D 3W LED retrofit drop-ins by Maglite cost $27ish over here. I think they wanted $28 for the MAglite 2xAA in the 3W factory modded flashlight. Now I've got like around 10 odd flashlights aroudn the house with about another 5 flashlights (at least 3 are unopened Maglites of 2AA or 1AAA) in the new bin area. So I don't think I'd be wanting to buy new flashlights in a while but use what I have already. I love the Maglite size and perfect size grip if you have winter gloves on while riding. I was thinking of buying a drop in solution then breaking out the soldering iron.

Zero_Enigma

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
GreenLED,

BTW I do recalling seeing your nick a few times in the past few months. Good job on on the dealers listing. I think I was checking something on the web which lead me here then I got to that chinaqualitygoods site from there. Too bad I'm low on coinage else I'd get me a beaming light saber in a small package.

Zero_Enigma

Spordin

Enlightened
For what you'll end up paying for retro led's, plus reliability issues, I think you'd be better off buying a low cost replacement. Maybe a 1 or 2 AA Fenix from Fenix-store. No charge for shipping and you'll probably save money in the long run. Just my opinion.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Those sammies are around $70. :)

Some cheaper options, and still plenty bright, would be one of the new MagLED minimags. They make them in the 2AA and 3AA flavors, which you've obviously looked at. The 3AA is brighter, but from what I've seen the regulation (or lack thereof, I might say) is not good. I haven't used either of them, but I see other people saying good things about them, and they should be around $30-ish. Not top of the line, but not bottom of the pit either.

:thinking: Any particular reason why you'd want to stick with the minimags (I can think of several)? I ask because there are other brands that make good quality lights as well. Streamlight is one of those (their 4AA Luxeon Propoly is nice), Underwater Kinetics (UK) also has a similar 4AA light, and then there are the Fenix lights, which continue to get rave reviews around here.

How big of a light would you consider? I keep recommending Pila lights to people because I think they're excellent value for the money - built like tanks, variety of accessories (including a great 3W Luxeon module), good warranty, versatile battery options, etc. They are, however a bit larger than a minimag (even the GL2 will seem much beefier than the minimag, but it'll be many times better).

I almost forgot: I'm glad to hear the "specials" thread was useful. Spread the word. :)

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
A common theme here is whether it is worth it to mod/upgrade the older 2AA MiniMag. The fact that there are many good 2AA lights out there to be bought at affordable prices doesn't make the choice any easier. Terralux has some really good drop-ins, although they cost around $20. You can buy one here: http://batteryjunction.com/mikitwi1walu.html

Given that I've seen the new 2AA MiniMag LED at around $23 at Wallymart, doesn't make the Terralux that cost effective. But if you've already got an old MiniMag, you could always pose the question of why not.

If you can wait another couple weeks, the SMJLED2 MiniMag Drop-in is suppose to be available. Here's a thread about it:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127907&highlight=trueblue

That drop-in should be more cost effective. So yup, there are many options out there...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zero_Enigma welcome to CPF.

It might be a good idea to put down Canada in the location spot of your profile.

Bookmark this thread
More Canadian light discoveries
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97002

Most drop-ins for the minimag are either not very bright or they cost more than a minimagLED. Add customs and custom brokerage charges!
Link to purchase
http://www.led-replacement.com/2aa_mini-mag.html
http://www.pocketlights.com/ledbulbs_for_mini_maglite.asp

Walmart Canada sells a North49 2AA 6LED flashlight for C$10 which is as bright as the Nite-ize and TLE-10/20 drop-ins.

I found in most casas it does not pay to upgrade a light. The TLE 10/20 rigel upgrade is US$14.95 . For US$8.25 you can buy a complete Rigel light from Fifthunit.
http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-20.html
http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.972.html

Spordin

Enlightened
Forgot the part about you being N of US, so the no shipping charges wouldn't apply. I still think you'd be better off cost-wise with a new light, or maybe wait for the SMJLED2.

*Retired*
Spordin said:
Forgot the part about you being N of US, so the no shipping charges wouldn't apply. I still think you'd be better off cost-wise with a new light, or maybe wait for the SMJLED2.

Information on testing of the SMJLED2 bulb is found here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128801&page=1&pp=20

It is a bit of a different critter, but you should get the idea...