LOOKING FOR THE BEST XMAS GIFT TO GIVE

randomact

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a all around amazing HID light that will impress even the unimpressable. So far I ave seen some x990 and wolf eyes. I was hoping to keep my light selection somewhat compact but super powerfull. Can someone here recommend the ULTIMATE bang for brightness for the BUCK.

I would love to have something that can light up a room and blind an intruder if need be temporarly. Please let me know the TOP A LIST for the lights in this REALM. Thanks alot in advanced

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the BB, if you really want to intimidate, but I dont' know if you can get one by christmas is the only problem.

The only negative to the HID's are the startup time if your trying to instantly blaze the eyes of an intruder, you could also consider the LED's that Eletrolumens are selling. The light is instantaneous and 1000 lumens from their K-2 stunner.. he also makes a 12 LED light thats 1300 lumens, but I don't see it on his site for some reason.
The instant initial brightness from an HID may startle and intruder, but as it drops brightness to build to full over the next 10 - 20 seconds could be enough time for them to regain enough site to get away. "if you really want to catch them!"

Someone can correct me, but the Short arc lights are also instant on, but they tend to really get up in price for what your getting in total lumens. Thier power is thier ability to focus down to an almost laser type pinpoint "several feet wide" with total darkness surrounding... so its easy to lose your target if your not careful.
I think thats the main negative to using them for helicopters.. I suppose the good its that no one gets startled except the intended target.

You also have to ask.. "just how much quality" do you want, and how big can it be?

If you find an HID with really quick startup, the bulb life usually suffers alot and they are "extremely" expensive... with a few exceptions, but that doesn't matter to many since the life is still very long.

There are some cheapys out there that throw alot of light, and you do get alot of light for the money, but your still getting what you pay for, but if your on a budget, its still a bargain. the AI
If you want smallish and very cheap.. the 7Watt LED for 20.00 bucks is nice, only 120 to possibly 200 lumens...

Lots to consider.. the HID benifit is that while many other types of lights "unless the light is regulated", start getting dimmer as soon as it is turned on, the HID's stay full brightness for their entire run time.

Hope I just didn't confuse you more!:banghead:

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
randomact said:
Can someone here recommend the ULTIMATE bang for brightness for the BUCK.

I'd say the 24w microfire warrior but if money was no object I'd go for the Helios.

If you don't care about runtime then go for one of the insane 100W incandescent maglite mods.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
randomact said:
I am looking for a all around amazing HID light that will impress even the unimpressable. So far I ave seen some x990 and wolf eyes.

So far, you may have already seen the best bang for the buck.. if you price HID's..... 399.00 for 3200 lumens with two batteries is not bad.. the Xevision is 5600 lumens, but twice the bucks and the BB is 8500 lumens and another 400 on top of that "providing you can get one".

If your going to give it as a gift... I expect you don't want to spend that much.. unless your really loaded.....if so, please PM me for my christmas list! :laughing::laughing:

Anyway... have we mentioned the Costco light yet?.. that is now being sold by harbor freight?... not a bad light for not too much.. but a really big reflector....
I personally don't know how good it or the AI is.. but I've seen my Xeray next to a Thor before.... put it this way.. I felt kinda bad.. the guy "was" really proud of his thor, till I turned mine on.. then he started making excuses for it.... it made me feel good, but bad all at the same time.
There was no comparison.. I bet you won't see any beam shots of them next to each other either "at least that I can recall".. the Xeray consumes it, you can't even tell the thor is on if you overlap the beam with the Xerays. I shutter to think what a BB would do.

Not everybody can afford the Xerays.. but they're nice if you can!

Here is another light that doesn't cost too much...."Hammacher Schlemmer"
Here is a light from Cabelas thats even cheaper... "The Cyclops"

Here is a pretty good thread for you to dig around in.... you've already heard my opinion.. in post # 106, there is another that defends the X990... and I agree, its a nice light for the money...and since your wanting to impress someone.. look at post # 182

Last edited: