the disposable aluminum led flashlight has arrived!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
bought it at the fort wayne hamfest.
$3.00
paper thin body with the guts loaded from front and crimped in.
9 leds direct drive with only current limiting the cheap shazam batteries.
very crude board and soldering.so messy i was surprised that
1. all 9 leds worked
2. it didnt short the batteries and blow up(yet)

danielo_d

Enlightened
Can you give more details?

For starters...
GotPix.GIF

And what type of batteries and how many?

Kinda interesting... disposable.

Tnx!

Danno

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
I think you'll find that's a totally different torch.

5th Unit has 3AAA carrier, and everything unscrews.

Great for modding. I've got a few of these.
looks close but not easily modded due to the crimped front end.
i will post pics when i get a chance.
btw the seller stated this was the best led light he had ever seen.
it was not visible on the high ceiling of the coliseum.
my arc ls with 666 ma mod and twak made a nice spot.
these are great for toolboxes or uses where they will be lost,destroyed,not returned.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are a very reliable seller. The better flashlights are actually very good...I bought the VINET which is very good on brightness and throw for such a small light. The GLIMT is also very good, but I noticed it runs hot to handle running on 2 RCR123 3.6v batteries for more than 5 minutes. I am comparing these to Streamlight and Surefire, but my Surefire U2 is still my best light, but I carry the VINET all the time, since it is bright, small, and has good throw with 2 brightness levels. Kepp in mind most of these flashlights run on RCR123 3.6v batteries.
Chopper said:
Is this a reliable seller? Their prices are awesome and the lights look good. Are they quality lights or just cheap knock offs?

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.46.html

x2x3x2

Banned
Chopper said:
Is this a reliable seller? Their prices are awesome and the lights look good. Are they quality lights or just cheap knock offs?

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.46.html

some of their lights are good quality n well machined like the Vika and Blimp, however others are not... the pricing gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. those above $15 should give u a good deal on price vs quality.

Rommul

Enlightened
Not sure if anyone cares but I bought two of these

http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.79.html

(mine has a different head though) at a computer show a few months back.

They should be great for modding.

Pluses:

1. The head screws off. Not willingly though. I had to use a pair of channel locks but as long as you put something soft like an old sock of some clith between the light and the channel locks there should be no marring of the body.

2. It has a luxeon sized star with a small 5 mm led that is barely raised above the surface of the star. Brightness is comparable to a SMJLED.

3. Most importantly this star is recesssed into a threaded heatsink so it will be good host for a 1 watt or 3 watt star. On teh underside of the heatsink is the positive contact. There is some semi-transparent substrate under which there appears to be some sort of circuit traces. The heatsink is 10 mm tall (including the threaded part thats inside the body).

4. The reflector has a hole quite a bit larger than a luxeon led so it should allow more penetration for people looking to use crees.

Minuses:

1. Reverse clicky (it is recessed however so tailstanding is no problem).

2. One of the two has an itermittent problme where the light won't stay on unless the tailcap is screwed in just right. I think when I remove some anodising from the tailcap area this will no longer be a problem.

I have several of the "Lickeby" model and like them alot. Yes, the construction is cheap but look at it from a lumens per dollar standpoint. The output is good and it is floody. The hotspot is somewhat vague and blends very well into the spill. I've given several as impromptu gifts and they have always been well received. They are only $2.50 and with free shipping I'll be ordering more soon.

Edit: It has a reverse clicky and it will not tailstand, well almost. It will tailstand but it teeters on the slimest edge of falling over.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two LYCKEBY's coming. One I will mod with pure white LED's I ordered from BestHongKong (BUWLC333W24BA25), the other I will leave stock at first. I will take comparison pictures and share.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
I bought 4 of these from FifthUnit in April.

They were an older, lower quality version. (The ones they sell now are supposed to be better)
They had mixed LEDs (The LEDs were different tints, within the same flashlight).

I took the worst one, and replaced the LEDs with UV LED's from JELED on eBay. It works pretty good.