Introducing myself & doubts about SF 8NX / L7

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!

I just noticed about this forum, and as I'm an outdoor's enthusiast, I'm pretty sure that I found a place to make new friends and get knowledge (maybe even share it some day, who knows...) about flashlights and other things that I like. I'm Brazilian, and my english isn't good, so I apologize about that.

I just purchased a SF 8NX, and it still didn't arrive from USA. I'm also interested on a SF L7 Lumamax, but before I purchase it, I would like to know your thoughts about both of them. They will be used in my outdoor activities, like fishing, hunting and camping. So I have some doubts: they are really water/weather proof? The usefull life of the B90 batteries are good or I better purchase more batteries? They are tough enough to "survive" at the rain forest?
Please consider that I'll use them only on extreme circumstances, like shooting, emergency, "blinding"/focusing games (even running from dangerous ones, lol), etc.
To general use/walking at night, I will keep using my Inova X5 and maybe a new flashlight (any suggestions?).

So, that's it. What's your opinions about SF 8NX and SF L7?

A hug!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to cpf!

first off i dont know who you orderd your 8nx through but they are not allowed to ship out of the USthat may be why it hasent arrived. secondley i have a 8nx and think it is great i do think it may be rain proof but not drop in the river proof for that you may want somthing differint like a e2l e2e or even the melenium series that has double o-rings. and if you have to have a rechargable wich i can understande since i dont know how readily avialable cr123 are where you live you could always get a surefire m2 and get a p90 an 2 r123 then you have a more compact 8nx kind of.

i hope this helps and i hope you stay a while.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
Surefire flashlights are waterproof to 10m per www.flashlightreviews.com. They are definitely rainproof but you wouldn't want to be diving with one. Since you already have an 8NX, the L7 will just be an LED version of that light. I would say you might be better off just getting a smaller LED light like an E2L or L1 and using the 8NX for when you need more output. Is there any particular reason why you prefer the L7 over the 8NX? It won't offer any output increase and will likely be less as bright as the 8NX. If you want runtime with an LED the E2L and L1 are excellent in that regard and won't set you back as much as an L7. I would think that an L1 clipped to the pocket accompanied by an 8NX on the belt would be an excellent setup. The L1 will run practically forever on low mode and will run on high for 2hrs regulated followed by several hours on just one cell.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A personal issue for me is rechargeable-ony gear when outdoors... If I'm in an emergency situation far from home do I want to rely solely upon rechargeable cells? For example, when selecting my GPS I chose my Garmin over a similar Magellan as the Garmin runs on alkaline and lithium cells vs. the rechargeable-only Magellan. I know I can take a few spare cells with me and the Garmin just in case... plus many rechageable formats do self discharge over time.

I now take lights with me that may run on rechargeables (17500s, 17670s, etc) but I can carry a few spare primary cells with me just in case.

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
CR123 are available here, but there are no X80 bulb replacements for the 8NX, that's why I want a rechargeable and powerfull (about 100 lumen) led flashlight (in this case, the L7). So, they are both rainproof?! That's what I would like to know, and that's exactly what I need: rainproof! :huh:
I dunno (and would like to) about the usefull life of the B90 batteries, that's my only concern after your answers.

I'm also looking for a good led light with long duration using CR123 to my nights hiking/hunting/fishing. After your hint I checked the E2L (and E1L) specifications and I liked very much.
I also checked the L1 specifications and I guess it will be my next purchase.

About rechargeable x cells, I guess I prefer the rechargeable when I think in high-luminosity flashlights and the runs-on-cells when I think in long duration ones.

Thank you all, you really helped me. :)

A hug!

iced_theater

Enlightened
I own both of those lights, and also a KT5 Turbohead. The 8NX is a good light with good useful output for most of the 1 hour runtime. It has a medium throw beam, so it wont come close to out throwing a standard Maglite even though it's output is far above it.

The KT5 turbohead is much better suited for an incandescent Surefire versus the standard head. The KT5 has much better throw and it still has good sidespill to see up close.

The L7 is a very nice light. It's now my new worklight and so it puts up with some harsh environment, such as getting banged into metal railroad cars, dropping from about 4ft or so onto either rocks or metal rail. It also has a medium beam in terms of throw/flood but it lasts much longer than the 8NX does and you only notice it's decline in output at the very last stages of light.

I'm ordering a NIMH battery that will make either of those lights last nearly twice as long. They are being custom made right now by a member on these forums.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

SureFire's rechargeable flashlights have never been waterproof.
The 8AX, 8NX, L7, 9AN and 10X all have a small hole plugged by a catalyst pellet that is not water-tight (in case of Hydrogen gas buildup inside the flashlight that can sometimes be produced by malfunctioning NiCad rechargeable batteries).

If you want an LED version of the 8NX you are in the middle of purchasing then you can order the KL7 bezel (which is the bezel that is included as part of the L7).

The 8AX is Aluminium construction and the 8NX is the same but made of "Nitrolon" polymer construction.

The L7 is the same as the 8AX by the 8AX's bezel is replaced by the KL7 LED bezel.

Personally I would not take a rechargeable flashlight camping unless I had a reliable source from which to recharge it (such as a motor vehicle etc).
Once the NiCad rechargeable battery sticks are drained you are left carrying them and the flashlight and without light. They are large and heavy compared to Lithium primary (SF123A) batteries.

Since you are planning to use this flashlight in emergencies only (which is the exact opposite for what NiCad rechargeable battery flashlights are usually used for - they are used intensively every night and recharged often) I would suggest that an SF123A powered flashlight such as an G2-YL (yellow) with P61 High Output Lamp Assembly would be more suitable as your emergency bright light.
Yellow because you want to be able to find it quickly in your gear and also in case you drop it - yellow is easier to find!

For camping I find that headlamps are most useful. I currently enjoy the Princeton Tec Eos (3AAA batteries). There are plenty of much brighter headlamps. We have a forum here where you can learn and discuss about them.

Regards,
Al

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I can see that. And thanks for the welcome!
I'm impressed about how many information I've been found here since I registered a few hours ago.
Very nice forum, it's a pleasure to be here.

A hug!

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
WELCOME TO CPF, your english is fine! given the conditions that you have listed i would like to suggest this light, over the e2l and or L1 or L2 edit and listen to what size 15 says about the battery

http://night-ops.com/Gladius-6V-LED.html

it is a great light , mine has taken a beating in many varied conditions from the desert like conditions in yakima,to the rain of where i live in western Washington state , and it rains for long times at a stretch,during the winter times here, my gladius has stayed out or exposed to the rain for extended periods of time with no ill effects..its variable brightness is great use and on low will run for a hell of a long time.. read the faq section of the link........good luck

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Al,

I agree that the 8AX and 8NX are probably not waterproof, however they are at least extremely splash resistant. A "suck test" on the heads and bodies of my lights indicate that they are well sealed in spite of the hole with the catalyst pellet in it.

I have used both the 8AX and 8NX in very heavy rain, and have had both lights roll into puddles of water after setting them on a rock and accidental kicking them. I have also done run time tests with the lights in the sink with water over them to keep them cool.

I do not recommend anyone else do this, but I have been very pleased with the water tightness of these lights.

Now, for camping, I have to agree with you that a headlamp is the way to go. Both the 8AX and 8NX are too large and heavy to hold in your mouth... :)

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Beer2beer,

I will echo a welcome to CPF.

The 8NX is a very tough light. It should handle the rain forest environment without problems. It is a little heavy for wilderness camping, but if you are close to your car you can keep up with the charging needs of the batteries. Al has pointed out that it is not water proof, but it is extremely splash resistant. I use mine in the rain all the time and have not had any issues.

I have been working on a project where we developed a replacement battery pack that runs almost twice as long as the B90 pack, and is slightly brighter as well. When you wear out your B90 batteries, look me up and check out the replacement pack.

If you are backpacking, the 8NX is heavy, and does not have a lock out feature. To insure against accidental turn on, you need to remove the battery pack from the light and carry it separately. In spite of all of this, if you only are going to need 40 minutes, or under (it is nice to keep a little reserve run time), of bright light, the 8NX will work just fine.

I haven't received my L7 yet, so I can not comment on it.

Tom

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, size 15 beat me to set the error of "10 meters watertight SFs" right ;)
The pellets will soak water and the small nut between bezel and front cap attracts water like a magnet. Thus I have removed the pellet and put some rubber stick into instead.

Once my pack sack (together with my canoe) was "lost" at a river (the boat got caught by the water, pulled down, cracked and has never been seen again. The pack was clamped to a wooden stiffing thing inside. As the pack has been found some weeks after, the stiffener must have been broken, ...).
OK, inside the pack there have been my 8X and a homemade version of the 9N. The boy who found it, must have taken the 8X (I think it should have been totally intact), but left the crude looking 9N with water inside the reflector (btw it still worked!!),
so I would say: with the rubber instead of the pellet it is pretty watertight.
(I dont care for gases, these are no primary lithiums)

when it comes to battery:
homemade. Then You could get up to 4000 mA-sticks good for 1 h 20 mins runtime on a 9N, the original ones suck (but much more difficult to make ones for the 8X, need the negative contacts also at the upper part)

as a real "use short and only when throw is needed", a turbohead is much better, especially inside forest. You have the light dot where You shine but almost no reflected spill light from whatever is in close distance around You

finally: I have never ever had any of my lights (except for the Minimags) been activated inside any pack, just be sure there is at least about 1/2 turn to turn it on, better more.

PS, L7 and similar: yesterday I have my 6P, never ever used for some years, be widened inside to accomodate a 18650 Li-Ion. Together with the cree (and at least 3 levels), this project will be much more powerful and versatile than most LED-lights by now AND running for 3+ hours on Full. Or wait for a 2AA version of the Fenix lights with the cree.
I would not buy any other production Led light now.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Yellow,

Your comments about the pellet soaking up water are interesting...

I must note that I have not "dunked" a cold light in water. Every time one of my lights dropped into water, they were on. In addition, I continued to run the light, for a period of time, after removing it from the water. Perhaps I was able to dry the pellet out, or it may behave differently when the head is hot.

Does anyone know what these pellets are made of?

I seem to remember my 8NX had a leak between the bezel and the adapter that screws on to the battery holder. Just checked and I have added a second "O" ring to that junction. My 8AX does not have this issue.

At any rate, I would not recommend these lights for diving, but they seem to be able to handle hard rain without problems.

I also have not had any problems with accidental activation of these lights. My comments about storing the battery separate came from discussions with the technical support people at SureFire.

Tom

Size15's

Flashaholic
I enjoy the durability of the 8NX I have - it's a workhorse without a doubt.
I've not used it in the wet though.
It's encouraging to read user reports.