Inova X1 variations and consistency

dim

Enlightened
It's difficult to tell whether it was the luck of the draw (lottery!) with variations in individual Inova X1s, variations in lots or a subtle change in the X1 itself but the X1 v2 (reflectored) that I've purchased for myself several months ago projects a considerably better beam than the three X1s that I've purchased as gifts recently - one, about 2 weeks ago, and two purchased yesterday at a different Target.

My X1, again, purchased shortly after their initial availability, projects a beautiful pattern with a tightish symmetrical spot that smoothly transitions to a very even and very large spill, albeit, with a fair amount of blue in its beam. It has become my low-level and runtime goto flashlight.

Subsequently, the beams of the three X1s purchased recently have larger spots that do not smoothly transition to their smaller and ringy spills - though, they are a fair bit more neutral in tint (whiter?). The leads to the die are visible in these three X1s. With their larger "white" spot, smaller spill and visible leads, the beams of the three recently purchased X1s are similar to an Inova Radiant 2AAA purchased prior to my original X1 (but returned because it died - damn clickies). In two of these three X1s, the spot is not centered.

My original X1 v2 has greater throw and appears to be brighter overall than the other three. There is also some variation in the feel of the on/off tailcap in all four X1s. The feel and effectiveness of the switch in my X1 has improved over time with usage.

I'd think that with the sumptuous feel of the X1's HA finish that the X1 would be a fine, modestly priced flashaholic gift for non-flashaholics who appreciate finer things without the need for them to think about runtime and battery availability, but that a potential lack of consistency in Inova X1s would not be such a fine thing.

What do/does the beam(s) of your X1(s) look like? For those who have used multiple X1s, have you noticed any consistency issues?

dim

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how I can swop heads on these without damaging the lights??

Search for "freezepop".

This involves filling the Inova with water and freezing it a few times...it basicly forces the head out of the body.

CFU

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flic said:
My experience exactly! My first version 2 X1 really impressed me. So I bought another only to be let down by the far less interesting beam. I quickly ordered another form the original seller, but it too had the inferior beam pattern.... darn!

To make it worse, the one I prefer was dropped from a height and now has a fair sized ding in it. Question, why do I always seem to drop the light I like most???
Because that's the one you use the most. :laughing:

dim: I only have one X1 purchased earlier this yr. Your explanation of the beam one your initial X1 describes mine to a tee. Looks like I won't be 'trying my luck' on a new purchase of another one. :drool:

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a pair of X1's a few weeks ago, and am really disappointed in them. Both have an off-center LED, and the beam is weak and ringy. My Chinese clones offer at least the same amount of brightness, but with a better beam pattern. The tactical button is absolutely useless as well. They were a waste of money and time. Never again.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My early version 2 has the very smooth beam with almost no spot. There are no rings. I wonder if the plastic used for the lens is contributing to the difference in the latest ones. Maybe there's been a change to a lens less likely to fall out.

Geoff

europium

Enlightened
My X1, purchased a couple of months ago at Target, has a bluish beam but with the spot transitioning smoothly to useful spill. The spot is off center a bit, but in actual use I move the light according to the location of the spot and not according to gyrometric tactile feedback. ;)

I recently did an informal runtime with a fresh rayovac alkaline and got 54 hours before the light started blinking. Of course the last 20 hours or so were "close-up reading" dim.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine flickers during activation... the twisty turns another half turn after activating the light, and the flickering occurs when tightening the tailcap all the way down.

Still, I have to say that I prefer the v.1 style over the v.2 style. They replaced a very unique light with one that is so replaceable.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Regarding the Original Poster --

This has been my experience, also.

Sadly, the really nice version 2 has been replaced

by "version 2.5", long before the latest version 3 arrived.

Dissapointed, but at least you've confirmed my own findings.

Gee, Inova, better wake up !

If you don't wanna' make the lights we want, somebody else will.

(sigh)

Raven

Enlightened
Inova needs new management.

The X1 should be their flagship model, and they're allowing it to flounder.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
My recent experiences with the X1 are identical to those listed here. I was directed to this thread a number of weeks ago when I commented in the "Version 3" thread about my two Version "2.5" purchases but I didn't add anything at that time.
The beam of the second 2.5 I bought is at least acceptable but not nearly as good as my version 2 that was bought about a year ago.
I'm commenting now because in practice the switch really is more difficult to use. It flickers as it's tightening but is clean when fully tightened. However this means you have to back it off far enough that momentary switching is almost impossible since the version 2.5 is already stiffer than the originally somewhat stiff version 2.
It still feels like a quality light, but it certainly isn't as impressive in use as it once was.