Fenix P1D CE availablility founded?

x2x3x2

Banned
ok guys, so about 10 days before these lights become available Fenix says they have trouble getting enough XR-E emitters.

it was announced that these will be available BEFORE end of november.

1. Fenix is a large scale manufacturer, which mass manufacturer do u know of drags it to the last 10 days or less for aquiring materials?

2. Fenix is the first mass manufacturer making XR-E based torches, and seem to be the first in releasing them as well. what are the chances of this happening? If this is true then XR-E production must be really slow that it cant even meet the demand of one company, in this case Fenix.

my personal view is that Fenix is probably just releasing this info and providing limited XR-E lights so that people will clear out their Luxeon versions for the holidays.

what do u guys think?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
ok guys, so about 10 days before these lights become available Fenix says they have trouble getting enough XR-E emitters.

it was announced that these will be available BEFORE end of november.

1. Fenix is a large scale manufacturer, which mass manufacturer do u know of drags it to the last 10 days or less for aquiring materials?

2. Fenix is the first mass manufacturer making XR-E based torches, and seem to be the first in releasing them as well. what are the chances of this happening? If this is true then XR-E production must be really slow that it cant even meet the demand of one company, in this case Fenix.

my personal view is that Fenix is probably just releasing this info and providing limited XR-E lights so that people will clear out their Luxeon versions for the holidays.

what do u guys think?

November has not ended yet so we will see if they can keep their word.

1. What makes you think Fenix is "dragging." I have first hand information
that they are scrambling for XR-E in various markets to make up for the demand. One of which is australia. Fenix is one of the fastest manufacturers
to respond to technology. I would think they would be the last to "drag"

2. Are you doubting their release of the P1D CE? Those pictures of fully finished P1D's are a clear indication that it's way beyond prototyping stage.
In fact I know they've have been working on R&D way before the
announcement of the P1D CE.

Why would they want people to clear out their luxeon lights? Fenix still sells
their luxeon lines. If that was the motive, why would any manufacture want
to hurt themselves? :thinking:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree...mostly...I don`t think Fenix meant for the info to be released. Someone just jumped the gun and made asumptions. Someone who is a flashaholic, a dealer...and excited about them...wanted to share the moment. Someone just like you and me.
So...no reason to be upset. We all want to see these.

But I do think Fenix wants to clear stock out before bringing these to the table. On the other hand they want to be first out with them.

I started out feeling these would be priced around $60 or lower...but I think Fenix realises they would kill sales of their LS based lights. And dealers would be stuck with Fenix LS lights no one wants as well...but I`m not sure they care about the dealers problems (dealers will be stuck with LS stuff from all brands).

Anyway...at this point I think they will sell for way more than I thought. Just to keep the inventories moving (and as a by-product...make more $$$ on each light sold).

I know one thing...a lot of dealers will be pissed if the few Cree light released go to mostly one dealer...that would really hurt them bad. And I think Fenix understands this.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
I don`t think Fenix meant for the info to be released. Someone just jumped the gun and made asumptions. Someone who is a flashaholic, a dealer...and excited about them...wanted to share the moment.
This is what I have been trying to say on the other thread. You have just phrased it in a much better way than I could have. Thank you.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be patient, quit "creetiquing", enjoy your holiday and we will all have a cree someday!!!! Hope all members here have a Happy Thanksgiving.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a few months there will be a lot of Fenix CREEtuREs to buy. Relax and enjoy one last holiday with all your Luxeons.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:

I doubt this is the case. 4-7s post sums it up pretty well.

Personally I think it's cool that 4-7s is giving us this cutting edge inside info, and I don't get the feeling he is feeding us BS.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here`s my guess...I think the info was released to alert dealers that this was coming. This way if a dealer has a large number of P1`s in stock, they have a chance to put them on sale...clear them out before the Cree`s hit the street...up to the dealer to make that choice.

Problem is without the pricing info the dealers aren`t sure what to do. If the Cree`s sell for $150, the $50 dollar P1 will still sell. If the Cree`s sell for $55, the dealers are stuck with P1`s they have to pretty much give away.

It`s a balancing act with a product this hot. Fenix has to look after it`s own intrest (clear out thier inventory of LS)...try not to damage their dealers who have large LS based Fenix inventories...but at the same time they want to be the first out with these.

Add to the mix, they are having trouble getting the Crees. Which might work out just fine for them, for the moment. But there`s a lot of reason to keep the Cree stuff priced on the high side for now.

adnj

Enlightened
Manufacturers typically alert their dealers so that they can plan inventory and capitalization.

Press releases and product announcements are provded to get give customer information and get market reaction. These CE threads have probably done one thing: show how uch interest there is in the market.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
CREEtiquing, CREEtures, CREEativity, CREEssmas !??!
That's Enough!
Come on, this CREEap is starting to CREEp me out!

x2x3x2

Banned
4sevens, no need to get defensive. i have never said or doubted that Fenix will be releasing the XR-E lights. Neither did i say that Fenix is dragging.
i have owned all models of the Fenix lights aside from the T series, and i think they are definitely well worth the money.

In fact i just post question of my personal opinion n what other people may think.
I hardly see this as "creetiqing", it is looking at market practices which may affect the consumers cash in the end...

I am also wondering why Fenix said they had problems getting enough supply of XR-E emitters, it doesn't make sense to me cos if they are the first to release these lights then who was it before them which bought out all the XR-E and caused this stock shortage?

so if this thread is gonna be taken by people who are gonna take my comments with a pound of salt it should probably be shut down before it becomes like the U2 clone thread...

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
so its $70 for the Cree version vs $50 for the Luxeon version even tho the emitter cost of XR-E is actually lower.

so its clear that fenix are out to clear the Luxeons first, not to mention the Luxeon bodies as well.

fenix-store.com seems to be selling spare parts for all the lights now too, probably to clear the remaining parts they have which are made for lLuxeons. I think their upcoming llights will have thinner form factors for XR-E's.

would have bought some of those bodies and parts for mode, if it wasnt for the prices. $15 for the P1 body which is basically a thin, hollow piece of aluminium. u can get a complete lights of similar form factor at that price.. i just dont get it.

curtis22

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
so its $70 for the Cree version vs $50 for the Luxeon version even tho the emitter cost of XR-E is actually lower.

so its clear that fenix are out to clear the Luxeons first, not to mention the Luxeon bodies as well.

Yep. Toyota is trying to clear out the Corrolas before the Camrys too.

adnj

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:

Why not carry both since they have different beam characteristics? If there is a definite market preference, change the product mix or the pricing. Example: SF KL1 is about half the cost of the KL4.

The P1D is about 10% more than the P1. I can't imagine that the new board costs that much more than the old one. How much the parts cost doesn't truly matter as long as the manufacturer is making money. They are trying to make money aren't they?