L1T with CR123 Body

C

charge

Hello,

What are the advantages of the 123 body and is it worth the $20.
Is it brighter, longer runtime...

Does the 123 body fit well in the L1T belt holster?

How about the L1T CR123 vs JetBeam MKII AA. They would be basically the same price. I like the three levels on the JB but its a little spendy if I decide to go with the plain L1T AA. Is a belt holster included with JetBeam? I would get the Fenix from Fenix-Store, is the holster included?

Thanks

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighter, with 2 hours flat regulation, and the whole thing is only 7.2cm long...well worth it IMO.

The P1 holster is a better fit...just add one to your order...fenix-store has everything you need.

CFU

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I bought a couple of these and they are nicely made. The only drawback is that it is not easy to reliably switch to the high mode. You have to really crank the head down. The body is thinner to accommodate the cell, and as a result it does not contact the head the same way the original body does. I am wondering if there is a way to mod the contact surface in the head.

cfb

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
lotsalumens said:
I bought a couple of these and they are nicely made. The only drawback is that it is not easy to reliably switch to the high mode. You have to really crank the head down. The body is thinner to accommodate the cell, and as a result it does not contact the head the same way the original body does. I am wondering if there is a way to mod the contact surface in the head.

cfb

Not true with mine. I cleaned/lubed the threads real good. It's almost too easy to switch from high to low. Mabie you got a bad one?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine and it works well. Very easy to change from high to low. I'm surprised at how much of a difference the smaller size makes. I knew it would be smaller but holding it and carrying it is much better that the AA tube. The smooth body of the stock L1T never really bothered me but the knurling on the 123 tube adds great feel and it looks cool too. Very pleased with this purchase.

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
Hello citizens, this is my 2nd post so break me in slow.

I got my L2T/cr123a body about a week ago from Fenix-store.com and I couldn't be happier. The quality of the lights construction and output are better than I hoped. The beam is very clean and symetrical without any noticable color. The cr123a and Nimh 2AA output appear the same, bright! The combination should meet all my flashlight needs, so I've whittled my wishlist down to about 4. I'll have to wait till after Christmas though.

The only other decent light I have is the Inova original X0. The output doesn't compare but it's very well made and solid as a rock. I accidently drop kicked the thing into a curb one night to no ill affect.

Mike V

Enlightened
I got one and it didn't switch to high mode easily, you had to really crank it down hard and sometimes wouldn't light in high mode at all.

The Fenix store exchanged it for a new one without any hassle at all and the replacement works really well.

It is a very sweet combo.

The standard holster works OK but is too long with the shorter body fitted.

There is a shorter holster available for sale which seems to be made to fit this exactly and is perfect.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
Mike V said:
The standard holster works OK but is too long with the shorter body fitted.

There is a shorter holster available for sale which seems to be made to fit this exactly and is perfect.
Available where? 4 Sevens? Was it an L1T holster? A P1? I normally just toss my "L123T" in a front pocket, but there are times I wish I had a holster.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a P1 holster or use a L1T holster with a lanyard/fob attached to the tailcap.

And, to answer your question, yes--the CR123 body is WELL worth the money spent.

Mike V

Enlightened
Yes, from the Fenix store.

I'm not sure which holster it is, but it is a Fenix one exactly like the one that comes with the L1T, but a bit shorter.

firefly99

Enlightened
charge said:
Hello,

Sorry for highjacking this thread.

From browsing CPF, I had the impression Fenix & Arc users does not like to use expensive cells such as 123. Prefer to use common cell as AA, AAA that are cheaply available.

Now why are these users going for the 123 body ?

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
I took mine because of the short lamp with a clickie and for my LEO job to use the AA batteries from the office. At my town the chief think that a Mini Mag at the officer is enough. I hoped that rcr's would fit in the tube. But is was'nt so.

Michael

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please take a look at this thread in the CPF Reviews section -

Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T (vs. UWAJ, stock)

Although I am mainly talking about a Cree XR-E mod in a L1T/L2T head -
the opening post has pics of the head on a CR123 body, and the body itself, and discussion on that -
another advantage is that the CR123 body can take some unprotected 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 to give spectacular brightness......
(of course the Cree makes it even brighter - see review for comparisons)

Just as an ancedotal input - I had 3 different L1T/L2T heads and two different CR123 bodies and I had no problems getting the high level with any of the 6 combinations - as evidenced by my beamshots.......

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
firefly99 said:
Sorry for highjacking this thread.

From browsing CPF, I had the impression Fenix & Arc users does not like to use expensive cells such as 123. Prefer to use common cell as AA, AAA that are cheaply available.

Now why are these users going for the 123 body ?
Because R123's don't self discharge in weeks like NiMH's?
Because carrying a spare primary 123 is no big deal?
Because the size is so much handier?
Because alkaline AA's can't deliver the juice?
Because 123's are no more expensive than Lithium AA's?
I dunno.... Sorry, feeling cynical tonight.