Wuben        
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112

Thread: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Default Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

My first concern is making sure Surefire still warranties the MN-15 running in the M6, because it is an expensive lamp assembly. Surefire customer service told me in 2012 or so that they did warranty the M6 w/MN15 combination, but still..I'm not sure if I totally believe their customer service dude "Mike" from back then.

2nd, you better make sure Surefire still has the Millenium series turboheads in inventory, because if you instapoof any incan inside that thing, it's going to require warranty service. The turbohead is not user servicable.

My third concern is that I blew 2 or 3 MN-15s in my M6 back to back the last time I tried that combo. I'm convinced an LED drop in like the Malkoff MD60 is a better choice, but it's out of production and Gene has said there are no plans to make that module again.

I guess I've gone back to the purist MN20 w/primaries approach to things for now. Which means I will not be using my M6 very often. It's sitting in my closet like the arm to the terminator.
    It isn't the life that matters, it's the courage you put into it.

A little humble M6 MN15 love...

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post

My third concern is that I blew 2 or 3 MN-15s in my M6 back to back the last time I tried that combo.
    When you say "combo" do you mean 6 CR123's or two 18650's? If 18650's, what brand, mAh, and chemistry? Thanks, just trying to get clarification.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    When you say "combo" do you mean 6 CR123's or two 18650's? If 18650's, what brand, mAh, and chemistry? Thanks, just trying to get clarification.

Bill
    In my case, cr123a primary cells.

Almost four years later, "Mike" still works the phones at Surefire customer service. I called Surefire yesterday to talk warranty hypotheticals just like I did in 2012. He said if the MN-15 dies in the M-6, that's not a warranty claim because lamp assemblies aren't covered (I know there are some exceptions). But if the MN-15 literally explodes inside the turbohead(It happens!) then Surefire will warranty repair/replace the turbohead(trust me let them do it, its like terminator eye surgery). However, since the M6 is discontinued there is no guarantee how long the remaining turboheads will remain in Surefire inventory. Keep in mind I'm not exactly giving an exact rendition of the conversation, just a good ol fashion Oklahoma summary. That means your taking your chances in my book, but then again its always that way with Surefire. It's not Rolex or Vertu where they will re-fabricate any part of your device for life. What I'm hearing is that once inventory is out your only option is to complain about it on the internet(as we/I often do).

Batman- Thanks for doing the legwork to reaffirm the M6/ MN-15/ Turbohead warranty situation. Here's hoping it's never needed!

No problem Scout24. I should renege my comment about complaining on the internet if Surefire inventory runs out of parts. Because, if or when Surefire lets that happens in the future, I think it's possible they would still be able to help, no hassle at all. If they can no longer replace and cannot repair your M6 equipemnt, they have been known to just send you the upgraded version of other discontinued lights sent in for RMA. I'm just shooting in the dark here but I wouldn' be surprised with Surefire.

No dog in this fight, but if the MN15 makes the M6 more useful I say 'go for it'. :-)
    While LA's do fail, I suspect that the incidence of actual bulb explosions is very very rare.
    And then actually doing enough damage to make the turbohead unusable & unrepairable, a long chain of events to happen certainly.
    If I had an M6 w/ CR123 primaries, this would most likely be my #1 bulb.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 12-08-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Js warned about touching the bulb, that oil on the bulb could lead to a catastrophic failure. Use alcohol to clean the bulb prior to turning the LA on. Just a precaution.

Bill

Thanks to this thread I went and scored a M6 from an auction site for barely over 1.5bills. Just a week or so ago,
    Great condition just needed some cleaning and lube, Dropped in a new MN15 and it's great.
    Then got my FM 2 x 18650 adapter in and can't wait to get back home and check it out.

Now hunting for another M6 and an M4 because stupid me sold them a ways back.

Hey everyone! Lots been going on in my life over the last three years. Work at the accelerator was crazy, as I was short staffed and had to cover the shortfall myself, along with all my other responsibilities. That kept me busy (and somewhat dissatisfied with my life), and then after I decided to sell my house, leave the lab, and start looking for another job, that (as you can well imagine) also has kept me busy. So, I've not logged into CPF for many months, but I just did so now to change my email address, and I saw that this thread had some entries. Very cool! I'm thrilled that there are still people using this combo (and incans in general, also, of course).

I still have this setup, and I still love it. I don't use it much these days, but it's nice to have, and when I do use it, I really appreciate it, especially when the weather is bad.

batman, I'm surprised that you experienced back to back failures of MN15's with six primaries in the MB20 holder. I've had some MN15 lamps that didn't last as long as others, but none that have insta-flashed or blown up. And none that lasted less than 15 hours, I think (although I'm only guessing at that figure).

Anyway . . .

I have noticed that M6's can be had for very reasonable prices these days, and a MN15 lamp is also not going to set you back much, so for a very affordable sum of money, one can own this combo and try it out. I highly recommend it if you think you will need a flashlight for outdoors (especially in poor weather conditions). It's a nice addition to the arsenal of lights. It won't replace LED lights, to be sure, but you might be surprised at what a nice addition it is to your LED lights!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

Flashaholic*

Hey js! Happy New Year. Whose going to find the God Particle now? I still use my M6 X-LOLA especially in the winter months. M3, E2e, and E1e too! I have enough LAs and more than a few backup incans to last me the rest of my life. I will always be an incan man at heart.

Develop the quantum flashlight. A light that uses the filaments and batteries of the multiverse. Excuse my Hollywood understanding of quantum physics.

kelmo

Hard to believe the last post here was seven months ago. I just received an M6-CB in the mail today, to go with the regular bezeled one I already own. There is a spare KT-4 in the basement just in case, but for the cost of a battery carrier and a few bulbs I got a complete light. It may not be the brightest out there, but it's very satisfying to use. Especially with the MN15 or 20! MN-21 is nice for showing off, and is impressive, but for sustained use the lower power bulbs are just the ticket. Hope there's still some M6 love out there.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

After rereading the entire thread it made me regret selling the M6 body. I managed to operate the MN15 currently with a Solarforce 2x18650 body mated to a LF C to M collar then threaded that onto an Surefire M3 head. Doesn't look pretty, but its got a rear clicky and has a belt clip. It sips power, not very bright to today's standards, but a nice yard searchlight none the less

The donkey dick form factor prevents it from being carried however, too long. with the M6 body at least a Mdocod's 2x18650 side by side holder would have made it extremely ergonomic
    Last edited by Illum; 08-25-2016 at 09:28 PM.

Flashaholic*

Grinser2 Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Hello fellow incan fanatics!

I just picked up another M6 and it came with the old purple MN20 LA. The first thing I did was swap it out for an MN15 LA. This light is so satisfying. Big in the hand with that gorgeous white oblong hotspot. It's funny that the Titan Plus in my pocket on paper outputs more lumens than my "Magnasaurus." Its a good thing I have a lot of batteries to feed the beast! I'll have to dig out my John Willis holster and attach it to my backpack!!!

Shine on,

kelmo

Glad to see this thread back in focus. I was just using the M6 w/MN15 night before last investigating what I thought was a skunk but was a grouchy 'possum.. I keep going back to this setup time and time again.... I've recently built a variant that runs on 26650's.. You talk about run time.. I have so many LED powered light but for around the house and bump in the night, I continually reach for the incan.
    I DO NOT HAVE...
    AURORAPHOBIA, OR EOSOPHOBIA, OR EREUTHOBPHOBIA, OR ERYTHROPHOBIA, OR ERYTOPHOBIA, OR PHENGOPHOBIA, OR PHOTOAUGLIAPHOBIA, PHOTOPHOBIA, OR SELAPHOBIA..

The devil on my right shoulder keeps telling me to buy another M6. I loved the way the M6 felt and it wasn't top heavy in my back pocket!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Flashaholic*

This thread is great, but something about it rubs me the wrong way. The only ACCEPTABLE way to use an M6 is with an MN21.
    The MN15 is like firing .22lr out of a Desert Eagle.
    I'll probably still do it though.
    ampdude

Talk to js.

Bill

Flashaholic*

I have another addition to this thread: an XX-LOLA :-)

Make sure to have a FM G4 bi-pin adapter, add a WA1336U (rated 6V / 0.64A / 525 hours) so overdriving it to 7.4V is no problem, current will rise a bit but not to over 0.7A which in theory will yield 5 HOURS of runtime if combined with 2X 18650 (3500mAh).
    I used this combo a full winter as a bike light, and finally the bulb died, fairly black. But it lasted dozens of hours for sure.

*Flashaholic*

blast from the past .. still have my old M6 which has not seen daylight for sometime
    big time fun when the JS pack was still alive ..

One of my all-time favorite CPF threads; always get a smile from seeing an update.

Flashaholic*

Talking Re: The SF M6 X-LOLA: 200 lumens for 2.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    One of my all-time favorite CPF threads; always get a smile from seeing an update.
    I'm with you raptor man!!!

Flashaholic*

Greetings everyone! Have not logged on for a long time. Still using my M6 with MN15. It just goes on and on. I do however “break in” my new batteries with an MN20. Still think brand new they are too much for the MN15. After a little use I put the X LOLA right back in.

I might have mentioned this some timer ago. I have used the MN15 with two 18650's in an M6 and find that it also gives good runtime. Quite bright and years ago I did some run time tests using a light meter and bounce.

Bill

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789101112