Newbie saying Hello

Republiman

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Just registered and I think this is a great site! I'm looking forward to learning a lot about what one of my weaknesses are....Flashlights...especially the smaller LEDs.

I got into them when I bought my first LED flashlight an Aurora 1.5 LED.
That was quickly followed by several Streamlight Scorpions, then 3 Streamlight
Tasklight 2-L. Recently, I took the plunge and bought a Surefire L2 Digital Lumamax.:rock: Also have converted my Minimags to LEDs. Not too impressed with them except for the longer run times of LED. Also have several LEDs for keyrings ect. I find myself with an urge too buy more even though I have a dozen or so good ones already. Can't quite figure out why????? Oh well, I enjoy it and it doesn' affect the pocketbook adversly, so what the heck right?

As a first post I'd just like to say hello to all and ask a couple quick questions.

1. What's the best CR123 batteries to burn in my Surefire and Streamlights?
Right now I've just been buying the Surefire brand by the dozen off of ebay. Is there cheaper ones that are as good?

2. Comments on my selection of lights so far???? Good? Bad? Indifferent??

3. Suggestions for my next purchase? Remember, I like small 6"" or less, powerful LEDs. And Expensive is OK but we all like bargains right?

Nice to be a part of these forums and thank you for your help and replies.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Welcome Republiman, it sounds like you need to invest in some rechargeable batteries.
Norm

Sable

Enlightened
Hey! The Aurora 1.5 got me into this whole mess too! :D

Welcome aboard!

As for batteries - you probably can't go wrong with Surefire, although Titanium brand from amondotech.com, and Battery Station brand from Batterystation.com are favourites around here.

If you want to go rechargeable, member AW should be able to hook you up pretty good, and there's also rechargeable 123s (called RCR123 around here) on BatteryStation.

I personally run Energizer and Surefire batteries in my lights, but that's just me. You can usually get 123s for two bucks or less out at Amondotech or Batterystation.

Great choice on the L2 LumaMax by the way! :D

gdhumphreys

Newly Enlightened
Welcome Republiman.

I'm new here, too; however, I am already drooling over several lights I've read about on CPF. The one I want the most can be found here: http://www.photonsintl.com/ Endeavor currently is making a run of titanium CR2 Ions with the Cree XR-E LED. You can read more about it in this thread. Not cheap, but you did say you were OK with suggestions of more expensive lights.

hivoltage

Enlightened
Leave !!!....LEAVE this place while you still have a family and a home. At least shred all of your credit cards before it is too late. I came here to buy a nice little flashlight.....now a couple thousand dollars later, my last purchase was a Maglight that runs for 8 minutes and sets newspapers on fire!!! :huh:

carrot

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Republiman!

The Scorpions and L2 Lumamax are great choices! I don't carry my L2 very much because nowadays I just need *bright* and no two-stages, but it's still a fantastic light!

You're going to want the Fenix P1D CE when it comes out. If Fenix's lumen estimates are right, it should be like a 1-cell Surefire L2. And it'll most likely be under $100.

I've had good luck running Amondotech Titanium batteries in my L2 and A2. Batterystation batteries tend to have problems in the A2; not sure about the L2. Otherwise, Batterystation batteries work fine for the most part.

Actually, any of the Fenix lights are really great deals. They're bright, well-constructed, and affordable. Check 'em out at Fenix-Store.com.

beer2beer

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie too, but I guess you should listen to hivoltage and Manzerick. I registered two days ago, and simply can't leave anymore. I already purchased 1 flashlight and 1 acessory. Check this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/142550.

Well, I'm here just for 2 days, but I can tell that the people here are great. So, welcome to CPF! Get ready to get all your doubts solved and for Christ sake, AVOID THE BUY/SELL/TRADE section!

A hug!

Republiman

Newly Enlightened
WOW!! Thanks first of all for the warm welcome. Secondly, thanks for
all the great suggestions.They all look great. Hum...........decisions,decisions.:sssh:

Guess I should just say, "reel me in" I've swallowed it hook,line and sinker!

Man I hate falling in to obsessions! But.....I'll have to roll with this one and
so will Mrs.Republiman.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Norm said:
Welcome Republiman, it sounds like you need to invest in some rechargeable batteries.
Norm
Hi Republiman, from the Plucky Brits.
Norm's right, rechargeables are the way to go, BUT... they don't fit in an L2. Neither do the 3.0V 'direct replacement' types. So my L2 has to do with tape-wrapped 14670's (which work fine if kept topped up).
If you want some fun have a look at the Fenix P1D Crees thread!