do you just buy lights, or do you wait?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you wait for the best light to come out, or do you buy on impulse?

-David

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll sometimes buy a light on impulse. However, this only happens with lights I've not seen or heard of before and are cheap (<$10). Usually, like most purchases, I'll agonize and try to justify it first.

Geoff

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wait, for weeks or months sometimes. I definitely don't have to have to have the latest and the greatest.

My lights philosophy is,

Use it Up
Wear it out,
Make it do
Or do without

Old WWII saying, when there were rations for things like car tires and more.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I buy based on research and needs, mixed with an amount of want.

In short, I've only purchased three new Lights in the last 2 years, but I think highly of each of them.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never on impulse. There are a few ights I dragged my feet on and they went away or the whole company went away and I totally missed out. Oh, the humanity!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
What 6.1 said. Not on impulse. All my lights were researched and they work well for what I need.

:buddies:

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I think I may have bought one light on impulse, but I usually research my "targets" very carefully before I pull the trigger. I can't afford costly mistakes!:)

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually research most of my lights but I will get something's If I really like the design of it. Still has to be a decent performer though (yes i want it all).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I do not buy on pure impulse (can't afford that anymore), but I do not plan strategically either. I buy what I want and can afford and sell again when needed.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Interesting question. Although some purchases have been on impulse, most of the times I wait some time until others have reviewed the lights and time proves they're good designs. My waiting period also has to do with me having to save up for an expensive light. Even with less expensive lights, I tend to wait - by the time I decided to get a couple of L1P's, they had almost been replaced by the L1T's. :green:

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I research like nuts and maintain a list called: "Flashlights; Equipment Priorities". Currently the document has evolved into a 19 page MS Word document of over 4000 words covering various factors and reasons affecting my flashlight hobby. It lists reasons as to why some lights should not be purchased (although I really really want to), why I should sometimes wait before purchasing a specific light, what to look out for and which lights to do more research on.

The list is updated whenever necessary and it really helps me go about my purchases in a more organised and disciplined manner at the risk of making me sound like I should be in a mental hospital. :candle: For example, after all my research, I've managed to come up with 16 resons as to why I shouldn't buy a U2 although I've always wanted one! :awman:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Research a lot; but that doesn't help when 2-3 mths down the road something much better comes out. Haven't been buying lights for a long while though; the CREEs are tempting me back into upgrading, but I think it's worth waiting awhile more to see possible improvements or platforms that suit my taste more.

pathalogical

Enlightened
If I'm going to spend quite a bit of money on something, I will do as much research as I can before buying. I spent a year and a half shopping around for a new car before I made my final decision and have not regreted it. If I expect something to last for a long time, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks. The thing that ticks me off is when I see something I want and put off buying it, when I am ready to purchase it, it's out of stock or discontinued (and this is when you really want it) I always get mad at myself saying "I knew I should bought then". This has happened more times than I care to remember ! So, If you like something, buy it. Then you have the option of returning it for refund if you don't like it (or that dreaded store credit !). For me, spending money falls into three catagories a) need b) like c) want. You need to spend money on gas, groceries, paying bills etc. Some of which can fluctuate in price. I like x item, I don't need it, maybe someday I'll buy it. I want x item and will pay the price now instead of waiting for a sale.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened
I wait...then as I'm about ot buy I find out something better is out...then I start to save...then I am about to get said light and I end up having to spend the money on other stuff :ohgeez:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
pathalogical said:
...The thing that ticks me off is when I see something I want and put off buying it, when I am ready to purchase it, it's out of stock or discontinued (and this is when you really want it) I always get mad at myself saying "I knew I should bought then". This has happened more times than I care to remember ! ...
This type of thing has changed the way I buy lights to a certain extent. None of the lights were expensive as most of mine aren't but I really wanted them and was bummed all the same.

Latest posts