Why the interest in the tec 40 ?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi, I am interested in the brighteness of a Surefire without the price. Is it because you can modify the tec 40 to be as bright ?
tongue.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
someone here once said that you can use an old pr bulb base and modify a surge bulb to go in to is and put that into your tec 40... then brightness should equal the surge but with less runtime than the surge because surge has 8AA in series parallel thus making runtime alot longer. but the surge is alot bigger than tec 40 so i think that it would all come out in the wash.
I think i will get a tec 40 and try this.

Al

Enlightened
Tec 40 w/ dimpled reflector + hi capacity NimH's (1600's) + Mag-lite 3D bulb.
Found this to be a satisfying combination. Also use RS XPR103 bulb with excellent results.
Overdriving the bulbs with the reduced voltage rechargeables (1.2V) produces a brilliant beam. Probably not like a SF, but considering the economics ....

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike,
If you don't have any NiMHI's, then modify the Surge lamp to fit. But if you do, (have NiMHI) just use the 3D Krypton lamp. You can get 2 at Walmart for $1.50, & they're just as bright as the Surge. They don't put out as much light because of the reflector size, but it is as bright (close). The 3D lamp won't take 4 alkalines. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Bushman,

Do you have the URL of the CPF discussion dealing with putting a Surge bulb into a PR base? I've been thinking about doing that for another flashlight but haven't been able to find any info by searcing CPF.

Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al:
Tec 40 w/ dimpled reflector + hi capacity NimH's (1600's) + Mag-lite 3D bulb.
Found this to be a satisfying combination. Also use RS XPR103 bulb with excellent results.
Overdriving the bulbs with the reduced voltage rechargeables (1.2V) produces a brilliant beam. Probably not like a SF, but considering the economics ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Al,

What is runtime with this combo?

Brightnorm

Al

Enlightened
Brightnorm,

Haven't tested for runtime ... keep the light in my workvan and "top off" the cells every so often.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest,

Are you sure the overdriven 3 cell bulb is as bright as a Surge (or even close)? I've used KPR 103 and Whitestar, and I don't get these results.

They DO look very WHITE, but maybe that can give a false impression that they're as BRIGHT. Maybe try some long range field testing and see if you still agree? I didn't see the difference too well until I did this.

I've taken nightly walks with these lights for the last several weeks through a nearby golf course. I often bring both. The Surge with either 4 or 8 NiMH (usually just 4), and the Tec 40 with 4 NiMH and 3 cell bulb. Shining them at distant trees brings out the difference, and the difference is dramatic. Up close, it's not so apparent.

ps. Are you using a narrow beam reflector? I'm comparing the Surge to the Tec 40 with broad beam reflector. I haven't compared the Surge to the Tec 40 with narrow beam reflector. Also, Al says he's using XPR 103. I haven't tried that one, since I think it could blow easily. I'll get one tomorrow and make a comparison.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy,
I have to admit my comparison is not at long range. I normaly use the US or SF turbo if I'm looking for distance. I will say the Surge puts out a lot more light. I think this is due to the larger reflector. TX