Censoring the CPF !

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flasher,
in Topic: Mag rechargable -- Is it worth the $100 or so? @
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002352;p=2

I posted:

Originally posted by Flasher:
[Moderator Edit: text removed for storage.]

Flasher, this is going too far off-topic, especially since you feel that a particular member's preferences are an issue worthy of some debate.
ALL your text has been SAVED, and can be mailed back to you, or sent as a private message (if you enable that facility).

You can then start a new topic in The Café, if you wish.

lightlover
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can call that "Censorship" if you really want to, or "Moderating", as you prefer.
(Moderating does call for some fine judgements at times, it's not an exact science.)

Now, you've accused me of not being impartial. Not fair - my post is pretty clear, and invites you to continue your point elsewhere. As indeed you have done.

I chose the term "Member" deliberately, to indicate that being a "Moderator member" or "Administrator member" does not give any particular weight to an opinion expressed.

Many Members and Moderators, (even Administrators
shocked.gif
) have strong personal preferences, which they post about as they wish, just as people have done since *time immemorial*.
I've noticed that Al does have a particular love of SureFires. I have also noticed that Mr. #### is very fond of XXXXXXXXXXX (manufacturer's) products.

Having an "official" role on CPF does not make any Member's posts more authoritative.
It does however mean that the official role has to be played. (It isn't just about the Power and the Glory ...... )
It must be noted of course that some members have proven records of expertise that are clearly obvious.

Flasher, you haven't been victimised.
Now, do you want your text back or what ?
Then we can all peacefully and politely discuss it,

Jahn

(Ted, I think this mostly answers your post.
Generally speaking, only the Boss has the authority to delete a post permanently, all other posts are saved for posterity.)

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incidentally, I do love my SureFires, especially the M6.
I also adore my Silver Mag-Lite 3D.
To me, both of those are sculptures, true ArtWorks.

Someday soon, I will own the Mag-Charger.

Jahn

Flasher

Newly Enlightened
I have scene many people get off subject. I have also scene moderators ask them to stay on subject, but I have yet to see anyone have there post removed, for what you said was being to far off subject. As for Moderators not carrying more weight than a member I would disagree if you were new to this board and flashlight in general you would look at them as being wiser or more informed about flashlights. Weather you agree or not that is the real world. As far as peaceable I am being very peaceable.

PS. My PM is on.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jahn,
Does this mean that Flasher can re post the text as long as it is in an appropriate topic area?
I haven't seen the posts, and was responding to Flasher's post as a matter of form.
It's not that I don't think you are fair, it's that I thought if there was to be deleting going on, the more moderators, the more fair...

Big Tex

Enlightened
If "off topic" threads are deleted, then there's gonna be alot of deleting going on. lol

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted,
like I posted, Flasher can have his text back. It's now been sent as a PM. Permanent deletion wasn't an issue.

Tex,
you are quite right there. Very few topics on CPF are kept strictly on-topic.

That particular post's text was removed because it was off-topic, AND too large an issue to be left and lost under another subject.

Flasher,
you yourself are new to this board, and don't seem to have been fooled by anyone's position so far. Quite the opposite ......

Once you have got to know people more, you can make up your own mind about which member's opinions you trust. Everyone starts off like that. Of course, some Moderators are world-class, as are some members who don't have an official role.

Do you feel that you can delete the allegations of "Censorship" ? It doesn't seem to be true, actually. ("Temporarily Inconvenienced on the CPF" would be accurate I suppose.)
You have your text back, and I would like to remind you that you were clearly told:
- it was only going into storage
- you could repost your complaint

You can say that your post was moved, or made unavailable for a while, but you can hardly claim censorship. Had your PM facility been switched on, you wouldn't have lost it for a second, even.

Jahn
[Slightly edited]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Jahn,
Reading your reply to Flasher I wasn't sure precisely what was meant by
You can then start a new topic in The Café, if you wish.
lightlover
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thank you for affirming that this new topic can be started using the same "SAVED" text...
(edit) and yes, I agree with you Jahn, this isn't censorship, and anyone who reads this string will understand that...imho
smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Flasher:
I have scene many people get off subject. I have also scene moderators ask them to stay on subject, but I have yet to see anyone have there post removed, for what you said was being to far off subject.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

There is such a thing as thread drift and then there is "I think I'll take this REALLY off topic by attacking a moderator!" One is to be expected, the other is inappropriate. Big difference!

As for Moderators not carrying more weight than a member I would disagree if you were new to this board and flashlight in general you would look at them as being wiser or more informed about flashlights.

NO! You are trying to play us all for fools with that comment. You're telling me that this is the first bulletin board that you've ever been on? I don't see a turnip truck anywhere around here so I guess that means none of us just fell off of it...
rolleyes.gif

Weather you agree or not that is the real world.

BINGO! You finally answered your own complaint! It doesn't matter who YOU are and it doesn't matter who THEY are. All 2202 members of the CPF community have a preference and/or opinion. And every single one of them is free to post it... in the appropriate forum! Lightlover offered you the opportunity to take yours to the appropriate forum. And even told you which forum that was in case you didn't know. I think thats MORE than fair!

Another thing that I do feel is a little bit inappropriate is the fact that you felt it necessary to air this in public. This has disrupted the entire board actually. If you had a complaint about a moderator, it would have been more appropriate for you to privately email or PM another moderator or administrator. So one really has to wonder if your intent here is to disrupt. You have 9 posts so far on CPF and how many of them are complaints about something? I think I'll stop right here.

artar

Enlightened
i agree with Flasher,

most replys of the mentioned moderator begin with

"surefire is allways the best, mag lite is poop. surefire bulbs never blow.
surefire 123 never fail and last at least 2 times longer than sanyo/duracell/etc."

i would say this mentioned person lost his view of the reality.

i wrote something like that above months ago in one topic of me where i asked about the throw of the E2.
the first reply was from the moderator and his dithyramb sounded like this : "surefire are the best light and blow all maglites from 2d to 5d away." but he could never tell me how the throw of the E2 is/was.

that nerves! we all know more or less about surefire and want sometimes ask questions about other brands.

mikep

Enlightened
You know, my experience with other discussion boards has been that when someone becomes a member and immediately 'comes out swinging' with really argumentative posts (crying 'censorship', yadda yadda yadda)- it has usually turned out that it was someone who was actually banned under a different username.

Greta

Flashaholic
Originally posted by artar:
i agree with Flasher,

most replys of the mentioned moderator begin with

surefire 123 never fail and last at least 2 times longer than sanyo/duracell/etc."

Do you disagree with any of that? If so, post it! Prove him wrong! If you can't prove him wrong then I guess that ends that... right?

i would say this mentioned person lost his view of the reality.

What part of "No personal attacks" don't you understand?

i wrote something like that above months ago in one topic of me where i asked about the throw of the E2.
the first reply was from the moderator and his dithyramb sounded like this : "surefire are the best light and blow all maglites from 2d to 5d away." but he could never tell me how the throw of the E2 is/was.

that nerves! we all know more or less about surefire and want sometimes ask questions about other brands.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Then ask! And ask again if you don't understand or don't get an answer. Getting an answer that is not what you WANT and then whining about it is just.... well... WHINING!

I defy anyone on this board to say that they do NOT have a preference when it comes to flashlights. Hell, I'm sure everyone here has a preference in undies too! Are we going to argue that Hanes are better than FOTL? Boxers? Briefs? Boxer-Briefs? Get real guys! If you have an issue with someone's preference than prove them WRONG!!! If you can't prove them wrong then you have no cause to complain. Period.

artar

Enlightened
that has nothing to do with agree or diasgree.

his answer is out of topic!!!

this is his standard answer to almost everything!!!

i would say he does not know more than surefire.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heads up guys. Incoming. Fire in the hole. This is my message board. This is my bulletin board. There are no written rules. There are some unwritten rules. Be civilized. No personal attacks. Talk about lights. There are areas for non-light topics.

I decide what is good on CPF. I decide who is Administrator. I decide who is moderator. AND I decide who is naughty and who is nice. If you don't act accordingly then you're history until you shape up. If you don't like that then start your own flashlight/light discussion board.

I reserve the right to censor discussion. I don't do that often but I will do it. I reserve the right to ban members until they shape up. I've only done it twice. But I'm sure will do it in the future.

If you have a problem with an Administrator or Moderator please email me. DON'T make it public. That is a good way to get your thread locked and put you on the verge of being banned. Here are my email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Just because your email gets to my inbox instantly does NOT mean you will get an instant response.

There are personal attacks towards regular members and the administrative staff. If you wish to continue contributing to CPF you will stop it or be banned until you decide that you will play by my rules. Attack the post, not the poster.

Administrators and Moderators can and do behave badly. It is my job to put them in their place. Nobody elses. You go through me if you have problem with the administrative staff. They act on my behalf because I can't be online 24/7. I back up what they do 90% of the time. The other 10% I take care of behind the scenes.

Flasher

Newly Enlightened
lightlover there are many other posts in that thread and others that are more off Topic than mine. You just didn't like me saying something that you know is true about your friend! Also he is not just a member with a strong opinion of Flashlight brand. He is moderator, that is supposed to be moderating the "General Flashlight and Headlamp Discussion" not the "Sufefire is better than any other light" discussion board. Also I will state again there was and is no personal attack I have said nothing of a personal nature against this person or about his character just that he feels to strongly about a manufactuer to moderate this board. Would we let PG moderate the LED board? I feel that SF are great products and I own many of them, but there are other great lights out there. In the post that you deleted I gave you proof that he says very bad things about other lights even going as far as to bad mouth materials that other lights use, when SF also uses them or other materials that have the same weak points. That is not an unbiased opinion. Is it?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

if there is a copy of the aforementioned post somewhere, perhaps at the poster's request, it could be reviewed by more than one moderator before it is deleted permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.