L0D vs L0P SE output

Face

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm probably missing something really obvious here (that's usually the case!) but according to the Fenix Store website, the output of these two lights is the same (4.5, 12 and 30 lumens).

Is this really the case? As the L0D is using a T-binned Luxeon III and the L0P SE is using a 1-watt R-binned Luxeon, I would have thought that there would have been an output difference, in favour of the L0D.

So what have I missed ;)

Many thanks,

Face

null07

Newly Enlightened
Face said:
Hi,

I'm probably missing something really obvious here (that's usually the case!) but according to the Fenix Store website, the output of these two lights is the same (4.5, 12 and 30 lumens).

Is this really the case? As the L0D is using a T-binned Luxeon III and the L0P SE is using a 1-watt R-binned Luxeon, I would have thought that there would have been an output difference, in favour of the L0D.

So what have I missed ;)

Many thanks,

Face

In LOD you can use also rechargeables (10440), so output will be significantly better.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends how hard the Lux 3 is beeing driven! A big difference is that the L0D is listed with an input voltage of 0.9V-3.7V which enable the use of LiIon batteries for a higher output. Someone said that he used LiIon in his L0P SE without any problem. I guess they put a Lux 3 in the L0D so the LED won't fry prematurately with the higher voltage/current. The only other difference is the two more levels (strobe and SOS).

null07

Newly Enlightened
WildChild said:
It depends how hard the Lux 3 is beeing driven! A big difference is that the L0D is listed with an input voltage of 0.9V-3.7V which enable the use of LiIon batteries for a higher output. Someone said that he used LiIon in his L0P SE without any problem. I guess they put a Lux 3 in the L0D so the LED won't fry prematurately with the higher voltage/current. The only other difference is the two more levels (strobe and SOS).

I sometimes use rechargeables LiIon (10440) in my L0P SE without problems so far. I am aware that LED life will be shorter, but who cares :grin2:

Face

Enlightened
WOW!!! This place is fast.

Many thanks for your replies.

I wonder how much brighter these lights are/will be using LiIon's in them?

I've often wondered about these LiIon batteries that I see talked about on these forums. What number equate to which standard size? I'm assuming a 10440 is equal to a AAA size, but what other numbers are there (hope I'm making myself clear).

I have a modded Mag Solitaire with a direct-drive Luxeon III that I bought on CPF. It comes with a light-blue battery which is about the same size as a AAA but a little shorter and came with a special charger. Is this a 10440?

Does anyone know of a good thread where I can find out all about this type of batteries? I tried searching for Idiot's Guide to LiIon Batteries, but couldn't find anything ;)

Again, many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Face

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
1)
It is undocumented but some L0P-SE have 3W emitters in them.
2)
My guess is both the L0P-SE and L0D are driven at 20/80/350 mA to get roughly 4/12?30 lumens. A Lux 3 is brighter only when driven at 700 mA (70 lumens) and the Lux1 at 350 mA. The circuit board is controlling the brightness not the LED. This will change IF Fenix comes out with the L0D-CE with the much more efficient Dree XR-E emitter. The 20/80/350 mA will then get roughly 8/24/60 lumens.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
1)
It is undocumented but some L0P-SE have 3W emitters in them.
2)
My guess is both the L0P-SE and L0D are driven at 20/80/350 mA to get roughly 4/12?30 lumens. A Lux 3 is brighter only when driven at 700 mA (70 lumens) and the Lux1 at 350 mA. The circuit board is controlling the brightness not the LED. This will change IF Fenix comes out with the L0D-CE with the much more efficient Dree XR-E emitter. The 20/80/350 mA will then get roughly 8/24/60 lumens.

How to tell if a L0P SE has a Lux 3 instead of a Lux 1? I know that 4sevens modded some with Lux 3.

N162E

Enlightened
WildChild said:
How to tell if a L0P SE has a Lux 3 instead of a Lux 1? I know that 4sevens modded some with Lux 3.
I have a LOP-SE that is, Modified with UWAJ [L0P-SE-U] is that a Lux-3?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildChild said:
Don't know. I believe the bin info is on the back of the LED which is hidden by the circuit board.

I have no intention of using a Li-on in this light. Even a Lux3 might fry when used with a Li-on as the little body would have trouble getting rid of the heat.

The best way to get more light from an AAA battery is to use a Cree XR-E. I ordered a MillerMods Arc AAA-XRE with the lowest available high (3/4 watt) and expect it to equal my 2nd brightest light a Mag 2C with the 3 WATT LED upgrade module. About 50-60 lumens.

N162E said:
I have a LOP-SE that is, Modified with UWAJ [L0P-SE-U] is that a Lux-3?
Yes.

Last edited: