U2 - Very Stiff!! Selector Ring

Flashdark

Enlightened
Does anybody know how to loosen up this selector ring?? Mine is so stiff that the light is becomming very difficult to use. I am afraid to use WD-40 on it. I have heard that it is detrimental to rubber parts. I am also worried that ANYTHING that I use, that would penetrate well enough to be beneficial, could also seep down into the head, or foul up the magnetic(?) switch on the selector ring. I think that I have heard about someone using 3-in-1 oil, but before I try anything on a $270 light, I wanted to ask. Thanks in advance for your help.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You should use Nyogel (the Shoppe or lighthound should have it).

I wouldn't use WD-40, for risk of it messing up the circuit.

Flashdark

Enlightened
greenLED,

I have heard of it but what is it? The only thing I have ever used on my flashlights is LubeGel from RadioShack (on the o-rings). Is this something that will flow down into the selector ring to loosen it up? The reason I ask is that I don't think you could get a silicone grease of any sort to do this.

Thanks,
Flashdark sends.

Loomy

Enlightened
WD40 would most certainly guck it up and ruin the light. There are threads on the different types of Nyogel and where to use them, a search will dig them up.

I'd email Surefire though anyway :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yup. I forget the exact Nyogel type, but there's one that is made for lubing contacts and will flow into the U2's selector ring after it warms a bit (put the light in your pocket for a while).

If the type is not apparent from lighthound's site, PM CY, he keeps mentioning the Nyogel he uses (but at my old age I forget details).

Flashdark

Enlightened
Thanks greenLED & Loomy,

I took a look at "lighthound's" site and it talks about two different kinds - the "thinner" stuff for contacts etc., and the "thicker" stuff for threads and such. I'll give John a call and get a couple of tubes.

Thanks again,
Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd send it back to Surefire for repair. Any lubricant you put in there will wind up collecting dust and will probably cause more problems in the long run.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Flashdark, your "sends, spends" cracks me up every time I see it. How very true.

Nikon, Nyogel is the stuff SF recommends for contacts and stuff. I haven't seen any ill reports from its use.

iamerror

Enlightened
I bought a tube of Nyogel for threads/O-rings and it seems to work well. I don't know if it would be any different for a selector ring. Just so you know, a couple of tubes (or even 1) should last you a very long time.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashdark said:
Does anybody know how to loosen up this selector ring?? Mine is so stiff that the light is becomming very difficult to use....
My U2 selector ring was very stiff PLUS had a grinding sound at certain rotation points. I called Surefire, they said just use it a lot and the problem usually goes away.

I thought they were putting me off, but I did just that -- twisted it back and forth many times over several days. It gets warm from friction when you do that.

After a while it became somewhat easier to turn, plus the grinding sound went away. Surefire was right in this case.

Nyogel is a good accessory to have (although I didn't try that), so maybe that would help.

grnamin

Enlightened
The selector ring is held in place by a "C" ring. You can remove the selector ring by turning it to the lowest level position and then past it. I first remove the U2 head from the battery tube then I wrap an old piece of bicycle inner tube around the selector ring and the U2 head itself and twist and pull at the same time. There is an O-ring that you lubricate with Nyogel or, in my case, just silicone grease. Please note that lubricating the O-ring tends to make the selector ring turn with much less resistance, very little resistance even. There is no circuitry exposed underneath the selector ring. The only piece of "technology" contained in the ring is the very small, and powerful, magnet. It measures about 5mm in diameter and 2mm thick. Keep track of the magnet. I've had one pop out of the selector ring. Good thing I found it again. :)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing i have noticed is that when i was freezing mt tube out in my old one when i took it out at first the ring was stiff like you had to break the seal then i was really smoth but when it warmed up again it got tuffer.

Flashdark

Enlightened
Just received and used the Nyogel 760G on the U2. Got it from lighthound.com. This is the thinner of the two available. Also bought the thicker Nyogel 779ZC for the o-rings and better waterproofing. I put some of the 760G in the front and back cracks of the selector ring, and after about 30 seconds of working it forth and back, it is now as smooth as a baby's behind. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Flashdark sends,
Flashdark spends,
Flashdark is, once again, very happy!