LED replacement bulb for #222 (2-AAA)

Flashlike

Enlightened
I have a rather unique Linden digital clock/alarm/flashlight (runs on 2-AAA batteries) that uses a #222 (incandescent) bulb. I would like to replace it with an LED bulb.
I found this one: http://www.led-replacement.com/l222.html but thought it was a bit expensive at $17.95.
Has anyone purchased this Tektite LED bulb? Is it worth the chips?
Another option I am considering is fabricating one myself by using one of the SMJLEDs and soldering it into the screw base of an expired #222 bulb, then "seating" it with some clear epoxy--but I don't know if I have the expertise to do that or if I would be happy with the results.
Any suggestions?
Maybe I should have posted this in the "Homemade and Modified Lights" section--sorry.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be 2 sizes of screw bas bulbs out there. The bulb may not fit.

It is a 5mm LED from way back. It will be dim. Not worth the money.

If you do not use your clock as a a flashlight often, leave the incan bulb in there.

If you use a flashlight a lot buy a small real flashlight and sit it next to the clock. A Dorcy AAA or Nuwai TM-310H.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Actually, I don't want an overly bright bulb (as strange as that might seem).
The only thing is that a regular #222 incandescent bulb has a somewhat concentrated area of light (because of the glass head of the bulb) whereas the LED bulb would probably be widely dispersed light and as mentioned might be too dim.