"Wall of Light", Redefined!!! ...Introducing the Milky Mr. Big!!!

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milkyspit has just finished another Surefire mod he has dubbed the Mr. Big.

MrBig3.jpg

MrBig1.jpg

Its basically a Surefire KL2 that has been modded with 3xWXOS emitters and three tiny McR11 reflectors.

MrBig2.jpg

The light is powered by 3xCR123s housed in a Vital Gear III body and produces a huge flood of brilliant white light. This is the ultimate flood light for its size. The throw is almost non-existant beyond 10-15 yards, but for close-up or indoor work, it can't be beat. Pefectly smooth beam and plenty of useable light.

MrBig5.jpg

MrBig6.jpg

Sorry the review is so short, but I figured I'd let the new owner post more details if he so desires.

Another fine job by Milky IMHO. :goodjob:

MSax

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
That is exactly what I have been looking for...the ability to make a room completely lit, immediately. Gonna have to email Milky, again.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
MSax posted this thread just before CPF went down... so bump in the interest of giving it the attention it deserves! As usual, the photos are some great eye candy. (Wait, does that mean I'm eating candy for breakfast? Didn't mom say not to do that?) :naughty:

STRAIGHTBLAST, you want one of these? Send PM if so! I'll need to cobble together a few parts for ya but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Bumpity bumpity bump! :)

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are those reflectors parabolic or conical - it's hard to be sure from the photographs?

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
They are McR-11 And yes they are parabolic.
Pop into the McGizmo forum for more info as he is the creator of them.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is the same one as reviewed by Miciobigio over here

Here are some beamshots from his thread...

Miciobigio said:
This is a very short story :

I needed a flood light, for indoor use , and i wanted an old stile KL3 head to be used because it's IMHO one of the best looking heads, asked Milky to build this for me and i ended up with "Mr. Big".

It's not that big in size , as you can see form the pic next my U2, but it's big in output !

The head seems like new, you can't realize that it's modded (from the outside).

You can see 3 LuxV WXOS that works very well filling of white light a room; i don't have to move up and down , right and left as with the other torches i have ; all i have to do is to push the switch :grin2: .

I use this KL3 with an E2C + UBH + Z57 and it's well balanced in my opinion.

What i like in this flashlight is that it is perfect for my needs :)

Thanks Milky !

NB : I made the beamshots in manual mode , same aperture and same speed for all the pics.

MrBig2JPG.jpg

MrBig1JPG.jpg

MrBig7JPG.jpg

MrBig6JPG.jpg

MrBig5JPG.jpg

MrBig4JPG.jpg

MrBig3JPG.jpg

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
waynejitsu said:
Is that a KL2 or KL3?

alantch said:
Isn't that an early KL3?

It's a first generation KL3 head. :naughty:

uk_caver said:
Are those reflectors parabolic or conical - it's hard to be sure from the photographs?

Parabolic. See below...

David_Web said:
They are McR-11 And yes they are parabolic.
Pop into the McGizmo forum for more info as he is the creator of them.

David's right, they're McR11, same reflectors as used in Modamag's Draco. If memory serves, McGizmo created them specifically for the Draco project. Same parabolic curve as the McR16, McR18, and McR20, but cut significantly shorter (of course). :)

As for their use in Mr. BIG, they were the most suitable reflector for the design goal of this particular light.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I thought my "Red Dragon" tri-luxV with McR-20 reflectors was a wall of light until I saw those beamshots... :ohgeez:

Jefff

Enlightened
that's an impressive beam shot! How much would somthing like this cost? and how long would the runtime be on it? Thanks for sharing Milky

Jefff

Enlightened
Ahh read the other post and found the answers

I don't have a runtime graph, dangit. I think 3x123 primaries should give you about an hour of runtime, most of it in regulation.

Very roughly, my guess would be $345 or so. Those darned LuxV emitters get costly!

Thanks again

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just built something like this for Skalomax called the 'Floodmax'... looks about the same, but uses 3x Seoul P4 emitters in place of the LuxV emitters... overall output is roughly 375 lumens, runtime on 2x123 ought to be somewhere around 1 hour, and price is correspondingly less since the Seoul emitters are more affordable than LuxV. Anyway, just an FYI! :)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW. The "Chrononster" is an absolutely amazing blend of throw plus a bright, bright flood. This seems to be even more flood.

Msax, have you tried this on the trails at night??? Enquiring minds wanna know! I still haven't found a better trail light than milky's LuxV Chrononster, but this looks like a wonderful floodlight. Oh, I forgot- my light's an optic ;)

Damn it, milky, why do you do this to me? ;)

This is more proof (IMHO) that the Lux V is still "King of the Hill" for outdoor use. Its natural floodiness is perfect for my uses.

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
Just built something like this for Skalomax called the 'Floodmax'... looks about the same, but uses 3x Seoul P4 emitters in place of the LuxV emitters... overall output is roughly 375 lumens, runtime on 2x123 ought to be somewhere around 1 hour, and price is correspondingly less since the Seoul emitters are more affordable than LuxV. Anyway, just an FYI! :)

And It came out very Nice!
Talk about a Floodlight, Can't wait untill It gets darker!

Nice job like always! :goodjob:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get it those beam shots are missing the beam shots from "Mr. Big. I see the L4, the ARC, the U2 but in the last on you just have the room light on.:thinking: :laughing: