cree in a Streamlight ProPolymer?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I have heard before that the propolymer has a deep reflector that might work very well for a cree xre mod.

I am wondering if anyone has done this, or has any coments on the idea?

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Since it has been a few months, I wonder if Streamlight themselves have any Cree Offerings on the way? I LOVE my ProPolymer 4AA and it has been my nightstand light since they came out, but I want a new streamlight replacement that is brighter..

Gryloc

Enlightened
sphynx,

I do not know if the Cree XR-E will work in the ProPolymer very well. I wanted to use the XR-E a long while back but thought the Seoul P4 was better suited due to its wider beam angle (more light reflected forwards) and better similarity to the old Lumileds Luxeon. I tried holding a Cree XR-E mounted on the round MCPCB, similar to the star, and I could not to get it to focus correctly, no matter how low I put the reflector (even sitting on the top of the board). All I get is an ugly donut hole. It does get close though, because I see a tight spot forming on the edge of the donut hole on the beam. If the emitter could only set up higher. I bet that if you can get the Cree XR-E emitter mounted up on a pedestal, it would focus. You would have to trim the corners of the emitter (the corners of the ceramic substrate) so it can set up higher. I wouldn't know how high to make this pedestal though. The Seoul focuses perfectly when sitting atop a small 0.30" disc, but it would be refreshing to hear someone use the XR-E in the ProPolymer. I have a feeling that the beam will not be as intense and tight when using the Cree compared to the Seoul, but it will still be usable. You never know. Give it a try. It never hurts. If you attempt it, keep us updated. Good luck.

-Tony

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. That takes some patience to make that mod.. If I didn't want to risk my Streamlight I might atempt it.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
from what i read in another thread, the Cree has a lot of light going Foreward, that will miss the great streamlight reflector, but the seul thing is more omnidirectional, so more of its light would hit the reflector first, as opposed to heading out the front unconcentrated.

conclusion, if you wanted to get the best SPOT from the streamlight , and also acting more like the luxeon did, it would be with the seul.

for some reason, LOTS of reflectors i have dont work so well with the cree, not to mention that stupid metal ring they put in there , but many OPTICS are working out quite good.
then out of the blue, a reflector you wouldnt think would work with cree at all, works perfectally.

Last edited:

Martini

Enlightened
SQ40 said:
I LOVE my ProPolymer 4AA and it has been my nightstand light since they came out, but I want a new streamlight replacement that is brighter..
Maybe we should petition SL to make one. The Propoly sells so well as it is that they might need us to give them the impetus to change (read: show they how much money we'd throw at them).

dk0013

Newly Enlightened
I'm planning on ordering a Seoul for my propolymer soon. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Martini said:
Maybe we should petition SL to make one. The Propoly sells so well as it is that they might need us to give them the impetus to change (read: show they how much money we'd throw at them).

Good Call, I just wrote them this letter, Feel free to canabalize it for your own letter to them;

Hello,

I have a Streamlight ProPolymer 1w Luxeon 4AA and have found it to be a fantastic light for every day use over the years, but would like to inquire if you might have an updated version using brighter Cree or Seoul LEDs on the horizon?

I am also interested in your TLR-1 light, but was curious if you have an updated version of it on the horizon? I have seen several single CR123 "pocket" lights on the market that put out as much as 150 lumens at the LED and have extended run-times using those Cree/Seoul LEDs, but would like the have a Genuine Streamlight with a mount built in and your excellent switching. This would be of great interest to me and I hope that you do have an offering like this available in the near future.

Thank you very much for the great products!!

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Spoke with Streamlight.. They say there are NO Seoul or Cree lights in the works at all. :(

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
SQ40 said:
Spoke with Streamlight.. They say there are NO Seoul or Cree lights in the works at all. :(
They would never tell any "stranger" via email about their future projects. They'd think you might be their competitor spying on them.

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
They would never tell any "stranger" via email about their future projects. They'd think you might be their competitor spying on them.

Maybe So.. What a shame..

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
dk0013 said:
I'm planning on ordering a Seoul for my propolymer soon. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
It's worth the effort. The light was one of my brightest before the mod, and now it's among the brightest of my modded lights. The total lumen output went from about 47 to about 103, and the lux at one meter from 3180 to 5950. I had to file notches in the hole at the bottom of the reflector to make room for the LED leads, in order to get the LED far enough into the reflector for best focus. You'll probably get a bit floodier beam and correspondingly less lux if you don't do this -- but it'll still have considerably more throw than a stock light.

c_c