With half of Ford's Blue Collar workers taking a hike...

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
would you still buy a Ford vehicle?

Even if their production schedule is dramatically reduced, will the quality of their products still be acceptable?

If Ford pulls this off, it shows just how top heavy they were.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the number accepting the buyout was more than anticipated, it's no big thing really. As a matter of fact it could save them money in the long run since they can replace the workers that left with lower wage new hires that may also have different burden rates based upon their benefits.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I haven't bought a Ford product since 1988. But the number of people taking the buyout wouldn't make a difference to me. But, I don't think it will affect their production numbers significantly either.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem here is that they're keeping all the folks who were in charge of designing bad cars. I really don't think the guys on the line were the ones who did the design work. My last Ford ran, but they clearly hadn't put much thought into it. I'm not concerned with how many people they have walking around down at the plant. If they can come out with a car today that's as good as what Toyota was doing in 2000, for that I might perk up my ears a little. I got tired of feeling like I was being punished for driving a sensible little car instead of a leatherette land yacht or a portable chrome plated 205 horse-power testosterone dispenser...

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Frankly - I'm sticking with Honda for the foreseeable future. They invest hugely into R&D, they participate in Formula One racing - and consider that a key learning opportunity for their engineers. Not to mention that EVERY CEO the company has ever had since founder Soichiro Honda has been an engineer who's worked his way up through the company. I once read an article by someone who had the chance to tour Honda's main R&D center in Japan and his description of the people he met there was "a cult of unrepentant gearheads."

And to pre-answer anyone who is about to go the "Buy American!" route - Honda builds a HUGE number of vehicles here, employing lots of Americans. (This also reinforces the idea it's not the american worker that's the problem with some other companies' lackluster products - it's their design process.) I'd rather buy a Honda built in the US or Canada than a Ford built in Mexico.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with everything Biker Bear said...

Honda does invest a lot into the American workforce, even though some people will say it's a foreign car because when you buy one, you're adding to the bottom line of a foreign company. I think these days it's very difficult to say that with certainty, as Honda America is an American corporation run on American soil by Americans - and employs a few Japanese and comes from a parent corporation in Japan. Their engineers are encouraged to engage in "other" engineering games, such as their Asimo robot and HondaJet twin engine private jet.

That said, every Ford I've owned has been pretty awful. I do like Ford's styling, but the cars just don't perform and they're not nice to drive. I can't say it's a bias against American cars, as I think relatively highly of GM and DaimlerChrysler. I've driven the Cobalt and Fuzion back to back and totally would take the Cobalt. (Actually I'd rather have a Civic due to superior driving dynamics and such, but the Cobalt has GREAT brakes.)

WNG

Enlightened
I would NEVER buy a Ford. Not only are they substandard, like many American makes, their dealerships and service sucks.
My father was a pro-American-made car owner. Hated Japanese cars because of his personal experiences in China during WWII. But what a Ford dealership did to his Mercury Marquis, ended that belief. Car never did run well, seats that would break your back, finally stalling problems forced his hand to try a Ford dealership for factory service.
They said it needed a new carb. As they replaced it, they fired up the car without checking the fuel lines, subsequently burning the engine bay, hood, front fenders. They said sorry, that's it. When we were outraged, they said they aren't legally responsible, something about a federal law the car manufacturers had gotten passed, that they are not legally liable for any vehicle brought in to be serviced that is older than a 10 year manufacturing window!
Lawyer couldn't do anything, owner of dealership told us he'll sell us a new Taurus at 10% discount, otherwise f*ck off. Ford in Detroit didn't even return our calls. They even had the nerve to demand the original service charge on the carb, or they wouldn't return the car.
Held a semi torched car hostage. Father had no choice but to give in.
He got back a car with burnt wiring harnesses, charred paint on hood and fender, and it ran worst than it was first brought in.
I convinced him to go with a Honda Accord, he gave in. It has since ran flawlessly for over 10 years. He's about to pick up another Accord. After his ownership of a Honda, he's a convert, loves his Accord. Other than tires, brakes, a battery, the only non-service item that broke and was replaced was a wiper relay, which he burned out during an ice storm.
YMMV of course, but I'd never buy a Ford or GM car. To those crying un-American, I say it's pretty damn unpartriotic of these companies to produce such inferior cars on us and have the nerve to blame the public, the Japanese, global warming, the economy, etc. They are responsible for their demise.
I also agree with everything Bike Bear stated. Honda is a company with a philosophy I can respect. They are fanatics about what they do. Their founder was a maverick, outcasted by Japanese industry players. He was more American at heart than Japanese. But above all, he was an engineer.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'd buy one. Quality is not as different as most would like to believe between domestic and foreign.

And before you forget, Ford may be more top-heavy than Honda, but they have a MUCH larger product line also.

How many 1 ton flatbeds does Honda make?

How many 1 ton full size vans does Honda make?

How many trucks does Honda make? And no, the ridgeline (sp) doesn't count.

Etc...

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I had the misfortune of dealing with the Mercury dealership for my 1998 Grand Marquis repairs. they told me I needed a "transmission job for $900". The service advisor could not explain this. I got another opinion that had a chuckle after checking out my tranny. I guess the older folks that drive these cars get separated from their $ frequently this way.

I like my Merc - bought it because I coun't afford a used Honda. I'd never buy a new Ford vehicle.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Biker Bear said:
...Not to mention that EVERY CEO the company has ever had since founder Soichiro Honda has been an engineer who's worked his way up through the company. I once read an article by someone who had the chance to tour Honda's main R&D center in Japan and his description of the people he met there was "a cult of unrepentant gearheads."

I think this is a huge reason their stuff runs forever. I had a neighbor who had a lawn service and would not buy anything but Honda engines in his gear as well has his HUGE outboard motor on his boat.

I think a gifted engineer has a good chance at learning business and making a good CEO, but I can't say I think there's much chance of the reverse happening. If you never developed technical foundation it's not something you're going to attain easily.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Ford doesn't have a car (except maybe the Mustang) that moves me. Any 80's Ford I drove wasn't as nice to drive as a similar year GM car.

Were I able to go buy a new car, it would likely be a Scion Tc.

But Trucks are what I need and drive! My '03 Ram 2500 Cummins was attained with just under 25K on the clock. I have put nearly 60K on it since. I have only had one glitch that was "factory" caused. And it cost a whopping $29 to fix while the truck was in to get some major underneath stuff that my Dad caused fixed.

That my lifetime mileage so far is above 20mpg is just icing on the cake!

Ford Trucks, at least before the 7.3 Powerstroke went away were pretty good stuff too. I got to drive an '05 F150 that was nice! I don't know how long it would be nice though!

Taurus (sp?) was the car that saved Ford. But I never drove a Taurus that had road manors and brakes as good as a Chevy Lumina.

Bottom line and on topic... I don't really thing Ford will suffer much with all this. But that's not what would keep me from buying one.

Latest posts