Fenix P1 Design Problem: Flickering, Dimming, Shutting Off

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickly within my ownership of my P1, I found it to be unreliable, as others here at CPF have commented. It would flicker, go dim, turn off. After some failure analysis, it turns out there is a connection problem between the battery and pill.

When I unscrewed the pill from the P1, it turned freely. Once removed, I found lots of dark garbage in the threads, mostly on the brass pill. After cleaning and reassembling the pill tightly, it worked much better. But soon afterward, I found the pill loose again. It turns out that the heat produced by using the P1 loosened the pill. After tightening the pill again while the device was hot, it worked better for a longer period of time.

Side note: I made more of an effort to clean the threads near the reflector and got some isopropyl alcohol in the reflector area. Don't let this happen, it destroys the mirror finish of the NON SERVICEABLE reflector. For the same reason, you never want to break your P1 glass, it cannot be serviced. I rendered my P1 effectively useless by this mistake.

The Fenix P1 conducts electricity from the negative battery terminal, through the aluminum threads of the tail, into the aluminum threads of the head. I find no problem with this, aluminum-to-aluminum has a record of working well because the twisting action continually cleans the oxides from the surface.

The electricity flows through the solid aluminum head, to the aluminum threads on the inside of the head that engage the brass pill (my nickname for the round assembly of the emitter and driver circuit).

I propose this screw-into-aluminum brass pill is an extremely poor contact system. As a side note, for the same reasons this interface is also a poor conductor of heat.

For a good electrical contact system between separate physical bodies, you need (1) clean, conductive metal surfaces; and (2) a force to push those surfaces together to sustain contact on a microscopic level.

Between the P1 pill and aluminum head, there are two dissimilar metals of two large bodies. They have different coefficients of thermal expansion, and expand/contract at different rates. This can loosen the threads. There is no crimp action to create an air-tight contact interface or a constant load on the contact faces. Insulating oxides form on both raw threads, there is no noble metals plated on the threads at all. This build up of oxidation/tarnish on the insulating surface contamination may possibly made worse by vapors exhausted by the battery. (Galvanic corrosion could be a small factor too, but dissimilar metals are used in flashlights all the time without issue.)

There is no "preload" on the screws faces, and therefore no friction to hold the pill from turning loose. When the pill is tightened, nothing physically stretches. Normally, when you use a machine screw it stays tight because the screw stretches a very small amount axially. But in this case, there are two big wads of material, neither is thin and long, neither is capable of sustaining a preload on the screws. 0 preload, 0 friction to keep the threads from turning. And since I found the pill loosens under temperature (I believe aluminum expands more than brass), you probably unscrew the pill a little when you turn the device off.

Now, when the P1 is new, the threads are probably relatively clean and the pill may be relatively tight. The force from the battery pushing the pill is probably enough to overcome a little bit of oxide/tarnish on the aluminum and brass threads. But over time, more tightening force will be required until it's never enough.

I noticed there is a very small flange on the brass, which has the potential for causing interference if the pill is highly torqued into the aluminum threads. Either Fenix is not tightening the pill enough to cause a permanent interference fit, or the design does not provide enough intereference to begin with. You and I probably don't have the right tool to tighten the pill permanently into the aluminum threads.

For the same reasons the pill does not conduct electricity from the aluminum threads, the heat from the pill is not being "sinked" into the aluminum threads very efficiently. Conduction is the primary means of effectively removing heat inside a sealed object, but here contact is barely present. Therefore radiation is the primary means of heat transfer within the device, and radiation requires a much higher temperature difference to transfer heat (dT^4 instead of dT).

Let me begin by saying I really like Fenix torches. I already own a P1, and have a P1D-CE on order. I hope the information below helps them improve.

I work as a Development Engineer in the Electronics Interconnect field. I don't know it all, but I consider my opinion worth considering. There are a lot of similar experts here, I'd like to hear if you agree or disagree. Thanks for your time!

EricTarini

Newly Enlightened
Let me guess - is this a *black* P1?

Did someone previously post that the natural P1's head was epoxied?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention, my P1 is a NATURAL finish. The head was not epoxied.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first got my P1 I could turn it on and off easily. I liked that I did not have to use both hands to turn it on and off. After a few months it became unpredictable, and harder to turn on and off. I seriously won the Luxeon lottery with mine, so returning it was out of the question.

I cleaned off the contacts, threads etc. and lubed the threads with Nyogel. Now it works fine, but I still have to use both hands to turn it on and off. The P1 is still one of my favorite lights, but I use it much less because I dislike needing both hands to turn it on.

I am going to get a P1D CE as soon as it comes out. I hope it will not have the same problem.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a natural and a black. I cleaned the threads with some WD40, alcohol, and nail polish remover. I had no idea what they came lubed with. I wet and wiped real well with Pro Gold on everything except the o-ring and "o-ring area" in the body. That I touched with some silicone grease. These things are smooth, bright , and consistent.
Perhaps you just got one with some gunk somewhere. Hey, sh*t happens, dude.
I, and more importantly my wife, love ours.

Now if I could just get a few HAIII in pink.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had any problems with mine (natural colour). Don't use it a Hell of a lot, but still, it allways fires up when told to do so.

CFU

Somy Nex

Enlightened
hmm did you get yours from 7777s? if you did he could probably help you out. my natural has worked perfectly since i got it some months ago. considering the volume, some defects are to be expected, and the test is in whether you are able to get it serviced. for the money though, if you've seen the brightness & runtime charts by TIN & Chevrofreak, it's one of the best lights out there.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
I had the same problem. Lousy contact between head casing and 'minus' contact of the circuits. Sent it back and I'm waiting for replacement. Mine was natural. Pity, because I DID like a Luxeon tint...
If only CPF was running earlier...

EDIT: I recovered it form PostOffice. :]

Any tips on fixing this problem myself ?

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, EngrPaul!

My P1 would always come on, but at first contact flickered and dimmed, and was solid only when I screwed it down really tight. Didn't like that, and saw bigger problems coming, so I tried your fix. Worked like a champ! The first contact it makes as I screw the head down is solid now.

I had a ****ens of a time getting the pill out, though. It unscrewed maybe a half turn and seized. Took me a good hour to coax it out. What finally did the trick was working a little Lubriplate into the threads, then just slowly working it a little farther each time it seized. Made a mess of the solder blobs, but no operational problems.

I agree it's a bad design. I'm an electronics engineer, and in a career of designing electronic test equipment have spent too much of my time dealing with connector and switch problems. Wonder if something NoAlOx might be a good idea for those threads? I used a little ProGold, and it's working ok . . . for now. . .

c_c

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
hopw about wrapping some al foil, copper foil or fine copper strands around the threads?

Is the reflector epoxied into the head?

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
I've had none of these problems with my P1. It's the black variety.

It's worth noting that when I received it, I cleaned/protected all conductive areas with Deoxit.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to the reliablity of twisties :)....

acually.. the only twisty i have had that has had ZERO problems is the ARC AAA P

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thank you for your excellent insight into what I always regarded as a problem
in this otherwise very nice light.

Like you I have nothing against Fenix in general but I did have to return my
first Fenix P1 for exactly this reason and surmised that there is an inherent
design weakness from reading about similar problems from others.

(My opinion was not well received, even though I have no axe to grind
and like you have a Fenix P1 CE on pre-order)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
wojtek_pl said:
I think about some conductive grease... Or soldering parts together...

You cannot solder aluminum. You could smack the edge of the aluminum over onto the brass, causing a crimp. But that's permanent.

jar3ds said:
welcome to the reliablity of twisties :)....
acually.. the only twisty i have had that has had ZERO problems is the ARC AAA P

That's because the head is completely potted from the board up to the LED, and then the aluminum is crimped onto the board, and then four spots are smacked hard enough to create an excellent electrical connection.

wojtek_pl said:
I had the same problem. Any tips on fixing this problem myself ?

I don't recommend servicing this yourself because of warranty issues. If you have a problem, send it in for service. I don't know how much of the service you end up paying.

AilSnail said:
hopw about wrapping some al foil, copper foil or fine copper strands around the threads?
Is the reflector epoxied into the head?

I personally don't think this would be a reliable fix, but I never tried it. I think epoxy is involved in the fastening of the head assembly, which encloses the reflector/glass/gasket.

Concept said:
I have had no trouble with mine. I just lubed the o-ring when I first got it and thats it. I use it almost every day at work ATM.

I wonder if daily use rubs the threaded surfaces together enough to displace the oxides. Mine was not in daily use (I have so many flashlights to pick from!)

Somy Nex said:
hmm did you get yours from 7777s?

No, I bought it from another vendor back before I knew about fenix-store. I did email 4sevens to see if he had any spare reflectors or head assemblies, and he gave helpful replies.

I read somewhere else that somebody returned theirs to 4sevens for repair for this problem, and they replaced it. I wonder if this problem is considered terminal?

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I don't recommend servicing this yourself because of warranty issues. If you have a problem, send it in for service. I don't know how much of the service you end up paying.
Forget about warranty. How can I fix this problem? How would YOU do this ? ;) :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
wojtek_pl said:
Forget about warranty. How can I fix this problem? How would YOU do this ?

I was considering using some conductive grease (permatex anti-seize) and tightening the SOB as much as I could after heating it up. Then putting a swage in the aluminum against the brass pill near the notch.

I don't think there is a good permanent answer short of crimping some of the aluminum against the pill. If you look at the history of the Arc-AAA flashlight, you'll see this is what it took to get a reliable product.

Sometimes the best answer is to keep sending the product back for repair until they get it right. I wouldn't be surprised if swaging the aluminum against the pill becomes their fix. Anything else would require a redesign.

I can't wait until the P1D comes out and the contacts keep making and breaking. It will probably continue to switch modes each time.

P.S. I also have a L1T, a L0P-SE, a L0P, a E1-47, and two modded E0's... so it goes to show I'm a Fenix fan overall.