Best D Mag size for NIte-Ize conversion?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I tried 4D and it seemed huge for such a dim "bulb".

I put it in 3D, seems much more apropos.

Doesn't appear to be a difference in brightness, maybe run time?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran one of these on a single D cell, and it seemed just as bright as on a Mag6D. I think the only thing you end up changing is runtime when you switch hosts. IIRC, I got almost 4 days on 1 D cell before it dimmed noticably.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... Moral of the story: Huge Mags are poor choice for Nite-Ize. 2D seems like the best choice.

On a different note, I wonder what the difference is between MagLED 3W in 2D, 3D and 4D? Probably just run time, like in the case of Nite-IZe. I haven't seen any brightness difference.

Skibane

Enlightened
In testing the Nite-Ize conversion in 2, 3, 4, and 5 D-cell flashlights, I have several comments:

1. Using 2 cells produces considerably less brightness, and TRIPLES the current consumption (compared to 3+ cells).
2. Going beyond 3 cells produces no significant increase in brightness or current consumption.

Conclusion: It's a VERY poor choice in 2-cell flashlights. Best results are in a 3-cell flashlight, with little additional benefit in using 4+ cells.

BTW, the 2-cell MAGLED flashlight is significantly dimmer than the 3+ cell versions, and has shorter run-time, too. Again, the 3-cell version seems to provide the best combination of brightness, size and run-time.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did my own test and the 4D was slightly (barely noticeable) brighter than 3D.

Also, I was using NiMH cells almost discharged at 1.19V (I also tried new Alkalines) and noticed that it was much dimmer with mostly discharged NiMH.

This leads me to think that the Nite-Ize module is not regulated like the MagLED module (either in D/C cell or AA cell) and it's LUmens directly depends on the voltage of the cells. The MagLED modules shine about the same on NiMH or Alkaline not really depending on their voltage, they don't gradually diminish like NIte-Ize, but suddenly cut off.

The other thing I just noticed is something is loose inside the Nite-IZe module I have. When I shake it, I hear something loose inside. Anyone else had this happen? It still appears to work fine.