My First Mod, and it works !!!! pics added.

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am very excited to report that I just finished my first mod on a flashlight and it works great (but why wouldn't it:shrug:). I installed a Cree XR-E P3 in my Fenix P1 and I am very pleased with the results. I am running it on a Tenergy rcr123a protected cell. I will take some pics if you want to see it, but could someone please tell me what the easiest way to upload them is, as I don't have a server to upload to? Thanks.

Thanks for the help, pics added. Sorry for the crappy beamshot photo, was the only white wall (or ceiling in this case) in the house. Beamshot was at 4 ft.
P1XR-EMod1640.jpg

P1XR-EMod3640.jpg

P1XR-EMod640.jpg

P1XR-EBeamshotat4ft640.jpg

Last edited:

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
Re: My First Mod, and it works !!!!

JimmyM said:
Dude! Details. I've got 2 P1s that I wouldn't mind messing with.

JimmyM,
the hardest part was getting the inside of the head to unscrew, it looks as though it is locktited (is this a word) in place with blue locktite. After I got it it unscrewed it was a breeze. Some trimming here and there, a few cold ones and some tunes, and before I knew it she was shining bright.

Budman2K

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Budman2K said:
JimmyM,
the hardest part was getting the inside of the head to unscrew, it looks as though it is locktited (is this a word) in place with blue locktite. After I got it it unscrewed it was a breeze. Some trimming here and there, a few cold ones and some tunes, and before I knew it she was shining bright.

Budman2K

How much of a difference would you say it made versus the stock LED?

MM

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
Very Nice!!! You have got to give us more details on your project. I have a L2T begging for a Cree.

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened

Mirage_Man said:
How much of a difference would you say it made versus the stock LED?

MM

It definitely made a difference, but hard for me to say how much. I should have took before beamshot photos, but was anxious to get it done. I used a P3-WG bin so the color is not as white as it was , but colors are alot more accurate with it. I will have to get some more P1's and compare them.

Lumbee1,
I will see about ripping it back down to take some pics of the innerds.

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
havand said:
Did you have to modify the reflector? If so, how much and what?

Yes I had to open up the hole by about 1mm or so. I did not have a drill bit the correct size so I used a dremel tool and just opened it a hair at a time and kept checking. If you don't open it up led will still fit , but not the metal collar. I found you have to fit the collar in or the beam has a large black hole in the center.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
did you have to replace the star... or did you just put it on the luxeon star?

-David

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
cheapo said:
did you have to replace the star... or did you just put it on the luxeon star?

-David

The P1 has the Luxeon emitter glued directly on the heat sink. I actually took the lazy way out and kept the cree on the round board and trimmed it to fit and installed it in place of the Lux. The head does extend a bit further than the old setup as seen in the pic, due to the thickness of the board, but not too bad. It is still sealed with the o ring and works just the same.

havand

Enlightened
Budman2K said:
Yes I had to open up the hole by about 1mm or so. I did not have a drill bit the correct size so I used a dremel tool and just opened it a hair at a time and kept checking. If you don't open it up led will still fit , but not the metal collar. I found you have to fit the collar in or the beam has a large black hole in the center.

Interesting. All the reflectors i've tried my XR-E emitters in needed the emitter moved forward in the reflector...Otherwise they had a giant donuthole in them. I'm curious why the P1 didn't need this.

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
havand said:
Interesting. All the reflectors i've tried my XR-E emitters in needed the emitter moved forward in the reflector...Otherwise they had a giant donuthole in them. I'm curious why the P1 didn't need this.

It is moved forward in the reflector. I had to open up the hole so it would fit around the metal collar of the cree, otherwise if i just mounted it around the lens of the led it would look exactly as you described.

Budman2K

Newly Enlightened
AilSnail said:
How did you avoid getting the reflector full of metal garbage?

I unscrewed the front of the head (the part that holds the glass in place) and used compressed air to remove the debris from the reflector.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha. So there is a bezel on the head. I thought the reflector was pushed in from the rear.