Streamlight Propolymer 4aa Luxeon

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
There used to be a lot of talk about this flashlight. I forgot where, but i remember reading that there are some places to get it cheaper than the typical $30. Anyone know where one can acquire this light for the cheapest possible price?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are UL safety ratings. Division 1 is "safer" than Division 2. The Div 1 version of the ProPoly is newer and slightly more expensive.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Very briefly UL ratings are broken into 2 parts. Class & Division

Class describes the type of fire/explosion hazard. Class 1 - vapors, gases, liquids, Class 2 - dusts, Class 3 - fibers.

Within each class the Division defines the manner in whcih those hazards might be present.

Div1 - They are ever present.
Div2 - Pesent but normall contained or safely ventilated

There are also "Zones" specified for Class 1. As a wholle it a very convoluted system but if you want to read further go here:http://www.ul.com/hazloc/define.htm

The basic takeaway info is that a Div1 Class1 device is usually going to cost more but in general I've come to see that the manufacturing quality and quality control on these devices warrant the extra price. They are usually very well made and reliable.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be able to find it for less if you're just looking for cheap, but you can get the Division 2 version (the original) for $24.95 from Fox at http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=338. They're also a reliable vendor, so you can order with some peace of mind. Also, the list price on this light is about $50 (which is what you will pay for it if you get it from one of the local uniform suppliers,) so I'm not sure about the "typical $30" price, and you should be aware that you'll end up paying about that much anyway with shipping. You might also want to consider the 3C version for even better output, if the slightly larger size isn't too much of an impediment.

Xzn said:
There used to be a lot of talk about this flashlight. I forgot where, but i remember reading that there are some places to get it cheaper than the typical $30. Anyone know where one can acquire this light for the cheapest possible price?

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
So from what I've gathered, the division ratings do not apply to me as long as I dont use them in flammable environments, but both should be just as durable as the other in terms of drops and splashes of water?

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not a firefighter or coal miner, and otherwise don't plan on using this product in hazardous industrial environments where your work requires a Division 1 rated device, it shouldn't matter. Basically, if you're just looking to buy this light for household usage or just to play with, then it shouldn't matter. As a matter of fact, the fact that you're asking in itself may be indicative of it not really mattering, since you're not likely to be in that kind of environment.

... Though a while back ... you might have needed a Division 1 if you were playing golf late at SC Golf & Tennis off of Tasman, but those days are long gone ;)

Xzn said:
So from what I've fathered, the division ratings do not apply to me as long as I dont use them in flammable environments, but both should be just as durable as the other in terms of drops and splashes of water?

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
What ever you do, if it comes with Energizer batteries, use them up quickly or throw them away...my SL and by brother's were damaged from the stock Energizers that came with the light

toolboy

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 of them from brightguy that were packaged with the fire helmet clamps, metal not plastic. Be careful, the clamps did not work on our MSA helmets as advertised. I was able to swap the bottoms off the stainless Koehler mounts and mix with the new tops. I just think people should know the claims made by streamlight on which models they work on are not accurate. P.S. Love the lights.

jfong

Newly Enlightened
BigTwin said:
What ever you do, if it comes with Energizer batteries, use them up quickly or throw them away...my SL and by brother's were damaged from the stock Energizers that came with the light

What kind of damage? I ordered four for my friend and I a few months ago (two each), and now one of each of ours is having problems. I haven't looked at his up close, but from what he tells me, it'll turn off when its supposed to be on, and he has to give it a shake or a whack. One of mine did the same thing a few days ago, but I can't replicate the problem anymore.

Also, I don't know whether to associate this with my dad (who might have experienced the same problem with this flashlight when I left it at home for him to use, and tried to "fix" it somehow) or possible battery corrosion, but I can't get the flashlight open anymore! I see a hint of white substance at the seams of the head and the body, and even with two pairs of Vise-grips, I've only left big indents in the plastic.

I'll call tomorrow to see if Fox-Intl will RMA this for me. Being a store that deals with law enforcement and rescue workers, I'm sure they'll understand if I tell them the problem is that the flashlight is unreliable.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How very, very odd.

Yes, Energizer alks have been known to leak more than other brand cells (such as Duracell). This will get battery innards smeared on the interior of your light.

Clickies can stick occasionally. Usually, that can be fixed with a few rapid clicks, making the problem disappear either permanently or for a long time.

It can be quite difficult to open the ProPolys. A pair of strap wrenches can come in handy, and won't damage lights.

Fox will likely RMA the light for you. If they don't, you can just contact Streamlight and they'll make it right.

garageguy

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for Fox International $24.95. Fast shipping and great customer service.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is that indicative of what everyone should expect from Energizer batteries?

BigTwin said:

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened
The white stuff is likely from a ruptured/leaking battery. My reflector and all metal parts are now corroded. The light still works but I'm not for sure how long. I did email Energizer and told them about it. Their customer service emailed and asked what I paid for the light and shortly after I sent my reply, they sent me a check for the light...that's customer service! My bro's light did the same thing so there is an issue with the AA Energizers...I would not leave a set of these in anything for more than a couple weeks at a time.