New budget light at Fifthunit... "MXDL" $8.71 and 1AA

infection0

Newly Enlightened
This is the first MXDL light I've seen using one AA battery. It does not use a Luxeon. There is a review posted in the Fifthunit forums by user tunafish:

"I just received mine yesterday. Runtime on 2100 NIMH battery is about 2 hrs before I noticed a drop in brigtness, then continues to lower gradually for at least another half hour. Same brightness with NIMH or ALKALINE batteries. It's noticeably brighter than the half watt 2 AAA River Rock flashlight, but not as bright as my Costco 2 AA lux I light. Light has a blue tint, but (not) distractingly so like the River Rock. The beam pattern is a medium spot with plenty of spill. However the led is way off center that it may be slightly distracting if you pay attention to the beam, but I think it still provides a useable beam. Build quality seems good but not perfect. A little bulky for 1AA. I think overall it's a good light for the money, with decent brightness and runtime. "

Any thoughts or insights? This light is $8.71 shipped, which seems pretty cheap for a light of this type. And since I gave my WF-602A1 away recently, I need something to tide me over until a new AA light with the new technology comes along. Does this look good for a cheap replacement? I'm already having it shipped to me (although Fifthunit will take a whole month to get it to me) but I wanted a discussion.

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
It is a little big, and cheaply made.
So, I have bought several to give away.
Nice center spot with big spill.
Everyone I have worked fine.
Not the kind to put in a pocket but great to have in a vehicle, home or at work.
Put a decent battery with long experation date in it.
Everbody I gave one happy also and then they ask question about flashlights.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it'll tide you over for a while. It is a cheap light but what can you expect for
6 or 7 buck's? Mine is fairly bright, the biggest complaint I had with the light was the
len's and reflector were filthy when I got it. I cleaned em best I could and it helped
alot. The LED on this light would be very easy to mod, you could upgrade the lens
and reflector too but I don't know if you'd want to. It has a chrome finish which is
different. Don't know what the runtime is.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ELLY is actually fairly nice for a inexpensive light. Mine has more of a yellowish center spot with a white outer ring, and the brighness output is pretty good considering the price. I think it puts out 25-30 lumens just my opinion on the the brightness. The quality was very acceptable, clean finish, reflector and lens very good on mine. runtime is around 2 hours on 2000mAh batteries. I recommend this light if you are not looking for high output, but a good decent performing light.

Latest posts