Thinking of replacing my Solitaire

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
....send the light to Craig to put in the LED Museum--preferably in the "Worst of" category.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If the Solitaire is one of the worst, could you give an opinion of what you consider one of the best single AAA incandescents?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok...well how about a best of the worst rating then
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Empath:
If the Solitaire is one of the worst, could you give an opinion of what you consider one of the best single AAA incandescents?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, let's see. I can count all the single AAA incandescents that I'm aware of (not including the novelty ones from theme parks) on one hand. Uh, actually on one finger.

So I will grant both titles to the Solitaire:

One of the best single AAA incandescents in the world.

And

One of the worst "mainstream and popular" AAA lights in the world.

Though I think it would just be easier to simply say "one of the ONLY single-AAA incandescents in the world."

I don't mean to be so harsh on a product. Just calling it like I see it.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the verge of a momentous decision; I may replace my Solitaire. For the right price, I may even be convinced to sell it.

Though this MAGnificent instrument is seven years old, it functions like new. It still lashes through the darkness like a blazing spear, disintegrating the shadows, burning a lustrous hole through the foreboding, murky fortress of midnight. Despite its diminutive size, the Solitaire's ungovernable power overwhelms nature's haughty attempts to drown the world in nightfall's gloom; indeed, the black expanses of the universe itself must yield to the dominating radiance of this mighty flashlight.

Consider if you will these indisputable facts: When the Solitaire's light is activated, it becomes brighter than it was before it was activated; if the beam is directed at a wall three inches away, you can see it; if the light is flashed in a person's eyes, the person will probably blink; if the spot is projected on to a yellow surface, its light conveniently becomes invisible; if the light is switched off, one's eyes do not have to readjust to the darkness. What other flashlight blends such features in so wondrous a package?

If anyone does want to purchase this resplendent illustration of craftmanship from me, I must warn you that my asking price is high. I might consider a trade if someone offers an item of commensurate value.

MarcV

Enlightened
I guess you posted that here instead of For Sale or Trade because you didn't want to be overwhelmed with vigorous competitive offers from teeming hordes of weekend flashlight shoppers?

aso

Enlightened
Let me throw my 2¢ in here...................

Oh wait , that is my offer
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by darell:
Though I think it would just be easier to simply say "one of the ONLY single-AAA incandescents in the world."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Far from it. Here's a partial list.
Rayovac
Energizer
Garrity
Dorcy
Streamlight
Brinkmann
Pelican
Various made in China generics

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by poalcat:
Saaby -

Huh? Sedimental (sentimental?) value? Surely you jest!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, sedimental seems like an appropriate word for it, if there were such a word...

"That's a pun, son"
wink.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well...as sedimental as it is (Don't worry...I was right where you are once) once you get a real tool, like say, an Arc AAA...all the sedimental value goes away.

So in an effort to help you build up the funds to purchase one of these marvalous instruments...I'll donate fifteen cents if you'll send the light to Craig to put in the LED Museum--preferably in the "Worst of" category.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Saaby -

Huh? Sedimental (sentimental?) value? Surely you jest! I guess my post wasn't sarcastic enough. I'm about as attached to my Solitaire as I'm attached to a flat tire.

Darell

Flashaholic
Nice post, poalcat.
grin.gif

Has anybody EVER used a Solitaire for anything other than a keyfob? I keep one around to turn on just for a quick laugh when I'm feeling down.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
Wingerr -

I hope it was a pun. As far as I'm concerned, the Solitaire is sediment - useless sludge which should sink forever to the bottom of the ocean. I don't intend to disparage all Mag products here. The Mag rechargable was my favorite light for many years. I still like and use it. I just never comprehended what practical use there is for the anemic, jaundiced beam produced by the Solitaire. In total blackness, I suppose it could be used to study the tip of your finger. But it's a joke otherwise.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure my elaborate put-down wasn't misunderstood. Sarcasm can be misinterpreted at times. The best way to mock something is to get others to laugh at it.

Cutter

Enlightened
Originally posted by Cutter:
I'll go 3 cents delivered.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey!.....It may be worthless to you poalcat....but as stated in my previous post....it's worth 3 cents to me (you pay delivery cost). And I've often wondered what the tip of my finger looks like in the dark.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Well I remember a time when I thought the solitair was SOOOOO bright for it's size. Ironicly the last time I said that was on a campout that was my last night of inocence. Upon my return home I found that my photon light had arrived and well - I have steadily gone crazy since that moment.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before becoming "illuminated", I used to use the Eveready disposable squeeze light as my key chain light. Actually everything considered they weren't too horrible. $1.99 and I would sometimes get a few months use out of them before either the batteries died or the squeeze switch became inoperable. Then I bought a mag solitaire. Not only was it not as bright as the Eveready squeeze light, the darn thing broke in just a few weeks. So it was back to the squeeze light until I discovered the world of LEDs and ultimately of course, the company that Darell supports. Still I gotta give the Eveready squeeze light kudos for a good product for the money and I'm not sure they're even available anymore.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I've got 2 Solitaire's, and I plan to keep them. They make great extra battery holders for my ARC! You can also use them to test batteries with, too.

Saaby

Flashaholic
And if all else fails you can throw your Solitare and Arc at the ground in your garage and laugh like a little Saaby
wink.gif
when the Solitare bulb explodes and the Arc stays lit...

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:
And if all else fails you can throw your Solitare and Arc at the ground in your garage and laugh like a little Saaby
wink.gif
when the Solitare bulb explodes and the Arc stays lit...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Keep a few Mag bulbs handy: Do that in front of people and laugh at the puzzled faces when the Arc stays lit.

From the crowd, you hear: "But single-AAA lights alway break!"
smile.gif