L2 vs.U2

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
I am just curious about how an L2 compare with a U2?

Does the U2 worth the extra money? if you forget the 6 selectable levels and look only at the quality of the beam?

Thanks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Both have the risk of a donut hole and some color artifacts with the LED according to the Luxeom Lottery. Same goes for brightness.
The L2 has a wide flood beam while the U2 has more of a ram of light beam with some punch. Then there is physical size and the different uder interface, but this isn't your question.

Here's a comparo of a very bright L2 with a very bright U2:

indoorL2.jpg

indoorU2.jpg

bernie

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for your beamshots!

I already own an L2, so i just try to know if it could be a good idea to buy a U2...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The U2 is very different.
First thing is size ... although not that apparent in pics, the bigger head and diameter play a huge role, depending on how you tend to carry your light.
The U2's increased throw has a significant impact outside and is well worth it if you wanna use the light outdoors, and the 6 levels add basically runtime which is important. The U2 has a more all-around beam and excells in every situation for a light in this class.
The L2 has one big advantage: momentary high. A very convienient feature. IMHO.

I would chose the U2 over the L2 ... but ... to be honest ... I carry the L2 as often as the U2 for simple size considerations.

Both are great lights.

bk

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here are shots of a U2 (weaker than the one above) vs. an L4 (weaker than the L2 above but with the same beam pattern):

OutdoorU2level6.jpg

OutdoorL4.jpg

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Another shootout

Same weak L4 as above:
OS2L4.jpg

SF L5 (same beam shape as U2, maybe lower drive current):
OS2L5.jpg

SF U2 (the powerful one from my first post in this thread):
OS2U2perfect.jpg

bk

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I'm guessing Kiessling meant to say that is very easy to go from low to high mode of the L2 by simply pressing down harder on the tailcap. On the U2, if you are in any of the low modes, bringing up the high mode of the U2 involves rotating the selector ring which is nowhere near as easy.

M I K

Enlightened
The fiscally dysfunctional State of Kommiefornia
deranged_coder said:
I'm guessing Kiessling meant to say that is very easy to go from low to high mode of the L2 by simply pressing down harder on the tailcap. On the U2, if you are in any of the low modes, bringing up the high mode of the U2 involves rotating the selector ring which is nowhere near as easy.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

lucio

Newly Enlightened
reliyng on flashligtreviews.com the l2 has more overall output.

also the a2 has more overall output than the u2.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
That's why i am not sure about the real need of the U2...The L2 seems to be more practical and powerful in a smaller size.Maybe i am wrong....

deranged_coder

Enlightened
It really depends on what you plan to use the light for. The U2 can throw light much further and the six levels of brightness allows you more flexibility than the two levels of the L2. However, the L2 is lighter and more compact. The L2 produces a much more even flood of light whereas the U2 has a noticeable hotspot, but the FM64 beamshaper can be fitted on the U2 to produce a more flood beam at the cost of increased bulk to the bezel.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Heres more beamshots. The L4 is basically a L2 on high, same reflector/5W emitter. If you notice how much more the grill and grass is lit up on the L4, this is the "wall of light" effect. However the L4 lacks the throw of the U2, so the case relies on your needs. Need throw? Go with U2. Need a really useful flood beam for more up close stuff? Go with a L4/L2.

Also dont forget you can buy a L4 and install a McE2s switch. You basically will have a L2 that is 2 or so inches shorter than a real L2! This is what I did to my L4, I sold my L2....

Ashootout014.jpg

Ashootout017.jpg

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
I already have an M3 that already has a lot of throw, so maybe i am better to stick with the L2....

Thanks again