Reccomend a flashlight for my situation..

DiLate

Newly Enlightened
Hey!

I live in an apartment complex and I also own a dog. All of the other pet owners in my neighborhood never clean up after their pets so when my dog hits the grass to go, he usually steps in excriment. its not as much of a problem during the day cause i can see the land mines, but at night its a horror since no flashlight ive come across can simulate the power of daylight. I found "The worlds strongest flashlight" on google [15 million candle power] but from the description it seems as though i would burn and blind both myself and the dog- I guess what im looking for is more of an electric lantern for powerful coverage of a broad area?

Any help is Greatly appreciated!!

carrot

Flashaholic
You should be considering the Surefire L4... it's about $130 from OpticsHQ.com or TacticalSupply.com with the CPF discount.

The Fenix L2T from Fenix-Store.com at $45 will also serve you nicely for much less money, but the L4 puts out more light overall and with a wider beam, and I would tend towards using that instead.

You may also want to look into getting the reflectored Inova XO from Target, which I've heard is a pretty similar beam to that of the Surefire L4. I think it's about $50.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While an LED light will come closer to daylight than an incandescent light, you may encounter some difficulty differentiating dog droppings from rocks with the LED. An incandescent light usually makes it easier to distinguish the various formations that you'll be encountering.

Rather than buying the proverbial pig in a poke from online ads, you might want to just visit a local store like a Target, Wal*Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc to take a look at their selection. The pricing will probably also be more in range with what you anticipated rather than some of the higher priced industrial or niche lights.

If you think an LED might fulfill your requirements all of the stores mentioned will carry a couple of brands. One of the more powerful one for their price point are the LED products from Mag which generally surpass other products in brightness and quality in their respective price ranges.

One other factor to take into consideration is the type of batteries the light will use. If you don't want to be burdened with having to order batteries from web sites to get an affordable price, you may want to confine your consideration to products that use conventional batteries that are commonly available and affordable in most stores (e.g. AA, AAA, C, D)

DiLate said:
but at night its a horror since no flashlight ive come across can simulate the power of daylight.

Any help is Greatly appreciated!!

persoontje

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend an L2T (or the cheaper L2S) too. It's really nice, runs on cheaps batteries, and it will illumnate everything you need. (even on low its high enough to see your path and the ground) It's also much cheaper then a surefire.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am suggesting the L2T also. I think this would make a good poop spotting light. If you get rechargeable nimh AA's you will spend alot less in batteries. I have taken walks at night with this light and it does a great job.

Newuser01

Enlightened
I'd go with either l2t , mag led 2 aa and propoly lux.....Pair them with good charger and set of Niomh......for free lumens......

1 thing to consider though is warrandy unless if you dont care about that!!!

Have fun chasing the dog poo!!

Noob

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
While there are some good recommendations here, I think Brighteyez is giving you the best advice re an incandescant light over an LED.

You will likely be dog-walking/turd-searching in areas of shadowed ambient light that'll wash-out/degrade most LED beams... or make those little brown "grass lizards" look like tasty Nathans Famous hot-dogs.

Therefore, your best bets are:

1. Surefire A2 (regulated incan + low-light LED), or...
2. Surefire E2O Outdoorsman (w/the MNO2 lamp: tighter, longer-running)

These are probably pricey for a Newbie not yet adjusted to the world of top-flight illumination tools tailored to specific tasks. If so, also consider the Pelican M6 incan at about $40. Also, do NOT buy your CR123 batts at the grocery store. Get 'em on-line for a fraction of the price.

Read the reviews for all the above at CandlePowerForum.com.

Welcome to CPF.

Frank_Zuccarini

Newly Enlightened
I walk my dog twice a day, every day, very early and very late. For most of the year, both walks are in total darkness.

I agree wholeheartedly with Brighteyez regarding the superiority of an incandescant over a LED. The colour/image rendering is way better with this technololgy.

The SureFire recommendations are terrific (I own a bunch of SureFire incandesants), but if you are just starting out, you simply CANNOT beat the Brinkmann MaxFire LX. I own a couple of them too. $18-20 at Target.

Good luck..................Frank

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the price of CR123 batteries gets a bit overwhelming, of if there is a desire for an even brighter light, the Streamlight PolyStinger is probably a good one to consider. The cost is relatively low if purchased from one of the web merchants, the battery is rechargeable, and the Stinger line has a 10+ year track record in many public safety applications. While you might not be able to shop for this light locally, one of the members of your local police/sherriff's dept. might let you try theirs out.

In terms of pricing, it should be around $65-70 (with charger and battery) or close to what you might pay for a Surefire 6P that uses 2xCR123 batteries. And if you still need something brighter than the Stinger to walk your dog, consider walking him/her during the day :D

coppertrail

Enlightened
carrot said:
You should be considering the Surefire L4... it's about $130 from OpticsHQ.com or TacticalSupply.com with the CPF discount.
How do you get the CPF Member discount on this light?

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
DiLate said:
I guess what im looking for is more of an electric lantern for powerful coverage of a broad area?

The guy is talking about getting some kind of a lantern and you are talking about Surefires. Did I miss something or did all of you?

Wyeast

Enlightened
Lantern's kinda bulky - especially when already holding a dog leash. It's probably harder to see stuff on the ground with a lantern than with a flashlight anyway since a lot of stray light will end up in your eyes instead of on the ground.

High power Xenon lights are nice, but you'll blow through batteries in a hurry at an hour a set. I'd probably go with a good powered headlamp (like a MyoXP or a PT Apex) which would work well looking at the area around you - or something like a MiniMagLED-3AA. Color recognition isn't the greatest with LED's, not too bad if you're looking in grass, worse if you're looking at bare ground or barkdust.

In an incandescent, either a Streamlight or a Pelican in a 4AA will probably suit in terms of carryability and relatively cheap batteries.

Mad1

Enlightened
Maybe a Surefire G2 with a beamshaper, that would be another good option as you can still make it rechargable.