Blown circuit on 7W Golston

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend just got a 7W Golston from e-bay....light seemed new...worked great for 2 days....then stopped and got hot! We discovered the LED still lights when power is applied directly to the LED. E-bay seller..no answer now...

SO-can we bypass the circuit and run direcrly to the Led...or replace the circut simply? Any ideas from you modders? My friend is a computer repairman and can usually fix anything ....we just need some info..

thanks

Monolith

Enlightened
More than likely one end of the resistor melted away. Just need to resolder the existing resistor.

Monolith

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I happen to need a resistor for one of my golstons too. Anyone know where to find a replacement?
What value and wattage do you need?

Walt175

Enlightened
Monolith said:
What value and wattage do you need?

I'm not sure. I need to replace the stock resistor. I THINK it was a 1ohm 1 watt in there. I think it was mentioned in the thread on the Golstons. I'll do some digging and get back to you.

Monolith

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I'm not sure. I need to replace the stock resistor. I THINK it was a 1ohm 1 watt in there. I think it was mentioned in the thread on the Golstons. I'll do some digging and get back to you.

You can probably go 2watts without getting too big, there's plenty of room. The high power models are 3.2 ohms I believe. Depends on which version you have.

Try here (minimum order of 5):

Ocean State Electronics

I apologize. This is from my audio days and I don't know if they have a minimum order or not (nor what shipping charges are). Might be too high.

EDIT - Looks like it would cost $19 for the resistor ($10 minimum order and $9 flat rate shipping).

Could try All Electronics and get two 1/2watt 2ohm (run in parallel) resistors but still runs $7.50 ($.50 min plus $7.00 shipping).

Last edited:

vortechs

Enlightened
Walt175 said:
I happen to need a resistor for one of my golstons too. Anyone know where to find a replacement?

You could try CPF member Dae (www.qualitychinagoods.com). In the past he has been able to get parts for the Golston such as reflectors and o-rings. He may be able to get the resistors the Golston uses.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Since it was bought from a mystery vendor, it is unsupported, and may not be the same "Golston" that grew famous here.

It appears that at least four different models are available from different manufacturers in China and Hong Kong. Each is quite different, and some are very poor. I have a sample of one, that has a plastic window, no resistor at all, a very poor imitation Luxeon, and a crappy switch.

Don't assume that you have the same model that everyone else has. Post pictures of the light engine. Also note if it has one or two O-rings at both joints on the battery tube.

Bernie

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen many Golstons form different vendors. The drives and LEDs are signficantly different.
As far as finding resistors, any good local electronic supplies should have it; check yellow pages. I have used 1.9 ohm for the 3.0 v batteries. The 3.2 sounds correct for the 3.6v off the top of my head. I usually get a pack of 5-10 5% resistors for about $2,
The 1 ohm resistor is for primary 3.0 volt batteries, 3.0 v rechargeables have enough of a higher initial voltage off the charger to blow the lights with the 1 ohm resistors. I had changed quite a few of those for several people that got the early models from me.

The best and brightest 7W now come from DAE and his two sites, qualitychinagoods and szwholesale. I have no experience with fifthunit or their product, maybe it is the same.

It appears that the newer style lights that DAE has have a narrower beam, and therefore a higher lux reading in the center. One vendor on a thread reported that the old 7w, still at DAE's sites, put out more light over all than those 12w purported K2s. DAE's beam shots support that observation. It may have been an accident of fate but the reflector does a very efficient job on these 7w, the geometry of the the LED, its output and reflector are a good match. Although there were only two sites that said the 7w had a 200 lumen output you can compare them with lights of known LED out put. Most only rate total lumens not actual output, bulb-lumens. So a even though there is no theoretical way those lights can put out 160-200 lumens the high efficiency can account for them comparing to a light with a 200 lumen source and lower output efficiency. And they compare well. They are as bright to brighter compared to more than one Nuwai TM-800x3 on position 2, 160-180 lumens, with as high as 4.8V power supply.