Possible Variation on Maglite Conversions

Gene43

Enlightened
I've doing some thinking lately about a variation to the maglite k2 conversions I've been doing. Some of you may know of the conversions I've been selling on EBay. A few have been purchased by fellow CPFers.
icon7.gif

Anyway instead of the 2 stage driver I've been using in the lights. I've come up with an idea to make the driver infinitely variable from 0 to 1600ma (alkalines) and 0 to 2100ma (nimh). It would be controlled by a small potentiometer (rotary) knob just north of the on/off switch. I've sent off for some parts to use to take over the dining room table and make my wife nuts for the next couple weeks. I don't know if there will be any interest in such an animal, but it got in my head
Christo_pull_hair.gif
so now I've got to mess with it.

Gene

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your thread would gain more attention "I plan to sell flashlights with pot inside on ebay" :)

I personally prefer a positive knob to turn to vary brightness, instead of a bunch of clicking around. Plus a stranger can pick up the light and figure it out quickly.

Potentiometers get "scratchy" when not used for a long time. How can you do this and retain water resistance?

Maybe you can put a self-centering two-way switch under a rubber boot, then adjust the level digitally? I don't know your skills.

I'd be worried about leaving on the flashlight by mistake at a very low setting. Perhaps your lowest setting should be a "glow mode".

Hope this helps...

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
Gene,
This has been done by several people here before. If you go to Elektrolumen's site, he has a single turn 100 ohm 5W linear potentiometer, which is pretty much perfect for maglight luxeon mods. There is just enough room between the switch and the head on the outside to put a knob conveniently accessible to your thumb. On the inside it fits in that space between the switch and the heatsink (where the bulb holder post used to be). I think it's an awesome mod, but I seem to remember some people saying the efficency compared to a digitally controlled light was inferior.

For me though, I say go for it! It's cool to be able to dial in the light you want.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, for myself, dont like this method as You NEVER can estimate the actual output and thus the runtime (which I think is essential in any light).

better to have fixed outputs accessable by a switch
(very low/low/med/high --> best, else low/high)

Gene43

Enlightened
The pot would be controlling a feedback loop on the reference pin of the ic. The efficiency shouldn't suffer, if anything there should be a gain at lower currents. Water tightness is something I too have been pondering. I hadn't considered a digital attack. I'm going to look into it, that's a great idea. :)

Thanks, Gene

Gene43

Enlightened
Just did some research on digital. Now I have to order some more stuff. I think I'm going to stick with nonvolitile memory so it will retain the setting at which it was turned off. Possibly a couple tactile momentary switches or a toggle with center return for control. That way it could be sealed against the elements. Man now these are some :) Great ideas:) . Thank You!

Gene