HELP!!! Can't connect to broadband anymore!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I connected a D-Link wireless router last night so that my sister could connect to the internet with her laptop.

I had to disable the network earlier today so I could FTP some updates to my website, but now I can't get back online via broadband - I'm typing this via dial-up.

error101.jpg

This says the internet is connected, yet I get the dreadful "Page not found" error regardless of which website I attempt to visit.

error102.jpg

And this also shows the networks connected (from the Networks icon on the control panel).

Any ideas of where I sould look?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
80% of the time, you can simply unplug the modem and router, wait 30 seconds, power up the modem, wait 30 seconds and turn on the router. You should have a 192.x.x.x IP when connected to the router. Open a DOS box, type ipconfig<enter> to get the IP. If you get a 192 IP, try pinging a site in the DOS box e.g. ping microsoft.com. If pingable, you have a good chance of connecting to web sites with your browser. If you have a 192 IP but can't ping, connect directly to the modem; it could be a router issue. If you're on the modem directly, you'll get a different IP, say 24.x.x.x or something; it depends on your ISP. Good luck.

<edit> BTW, you don't want a 169.x.x.x IP address. That's an internal IP assigned by Windows when it can't connect to either a router or the DHCP server on the ISP's network.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd start by deleting your dial up connection ( perhaps saving any info on it in case you need to reinstall it). Disconnect any modems. Go to Device Manager and delete any modems. Uninstall TCP/IP associated with dial-up. If you use IE than check settings there and tell it to never dial any connections. You may have to use it's setup wizard to 'connect to the internet' but wait on that until you do a reboot (may or may not be needed depending on O.S. and other conditions.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Photonboy - how's it going up there in N.S. ? - I think what he's talking about is a dial up modem like 56k dialup and it sounds like you're talking a DSL or broadband modem. His system is defaulting to using the old phone line dialup it sounds like. If he just deletes all the dial up and modem related stuff and reboots I think that will get him back on by auto-detect if running XP although it might be needed to re-Enable standard network cards and the LAN.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing I just noticed is the Local Area connection 2 ??? That tells me the computer sees at least 2 LAN's or connections and it's choosing to default to the wrong one apparently. Probably disable or delete that one and see what happens.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - we must have had the pole shift I heard about :D It was 0 degrees F here last night in Colorado. Seems weather is weird everywhere lately.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here are the results of pinging:

error103.jpg

Dialer disconnected.

error104.jpg

Dialer connected.

I just checked the network settings, and only "Local Area Connection 2" is showing now. :eek:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you connect directly to the calbe/dsl modem, do you reach your IP? I JUST went through this with my Linksys that I had been already using for about a year. I ended up getting help through the help line. The customer service rep told me to unplug the router and then hold the reset button, first for 30 seconds, and then the next time (after trying things that didn't work), for 60 seconds. She had me click DHCP release and then DHCP renew (to no avail). Eventually, it was clicking "Clone MAC address" which restored my connection. Also, you might try unplugging both the router and cable/dsl modem, leave 'em off for 30 seconds, and then reconnect the cable/dsl modem and wait until all the lights become solid before plugging in the router. That's worked for me, before.

Get ready Craig, here come dozens of very informative, large, high-res pics for you to look over.... j/k :devil:

Type 192.168.0.1 from your browser should get you in router. Maybe, you can figure it out from there.

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Hi Craig,

If you're using DHCP on a broadband connection, you can try the following:

Click <start> <run> then type INETWIZ and press <enter>

Choose: connect using local area network or LAN, then, hit <next>

Remove: all the checks, then press <next>

On the email page, click <no>, then, <next>

Then, hit <finish>

Your PC may be defaulting to a dialup connection and the above procedure will reconnect you via your network card and modem. YMMV. If this fails, try phoning your ISP. Best results are in the off hours between 11 PM and 7 AM.

Good luck, PB

LA OZ

Enlightened
If you could tell us abit more:

What router and modem you are using?
Are you accessing via wireless or cable?
What is the IP reported by your network card? type "ipconfig /all" at command com.

It sounds like the problem is with your router setting.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I figured it out!!!
I figured out how to get broadband back!!!!!!
I figured out Blue Clues!!!!!!!!!

The answer was so simple, that if it were a cobra, I'd be dead now!
It is something I normally do, but for some reason, failed to do this time...that is...power-cycling the cable modem and router.
roll2.gif

{imitating Homer Simpson} D'OOOOOHHHH!!!!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other solution is to give it a few good whacks with the palm of your hand.

EDIT: No wait that's only for monitor and hard drive issues.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Hey ledmuseum!

I was anxiously awaiting you putting your
cable modem and router into the
punish.jpg

JK.

Glad to hear your back into the world of broadband!!!!

Danno

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.