has anyone 'fixed' the magLED 2xAA

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that I am very pleased witht eh mag 2xAA LED. recognizable function (for others). good construction. the only thing i dont really like is the light lost UNDER the reflector. Has anyone been able to fix this lumen loss issue? if so how...
Jeff

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see it with mine, from the moment it turns on (flood) until it's at spot focus. Turn beyond that, then you will lose some lumens.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose light being lost under the reflector can be considered an issue here, but the same could be said for many flashlights. A lot of sub $40 have the reflector not fit snug up against the area surrounding the LED. One that comes to mind for me is the $20 Dorcy Metal Gear. I've unscrewed the head on my Metal Gear many a times and I did initially notice its reflector isn't fit snug to the area surrounding the LED emitter. But in the Metal Gear's case, it looks like it's for prevention of heat melting the reflector (that's my guess)....not sure why the MM LED's reflector was designed that way though...

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
I don't see it with mine, from the moment it turns on (flood) until it's at spot focus. Turn beyond that, then you will lose some lumens.

I measured a 1/3 loss in light output going from flood to spot with the MiniMagLED's.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to fix it yourself by just turning the bezel. The MiniMags don't really need much more that about a half a turn to cover the entire usable spectrum of the reflector. Mag really hit a home run with these two lights.

WildRice said:
I have to say that I am very pleased witht eh mag 2xAA LED. recognizable function (for others). good construction. the only thing i dont really like is the light lost UNDER the reflector. Has anyone been able to fix this lumen loss issue? if so how...
Jeff

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually he mght be right. I haven't measured it, but quite honestly, I don't see much increase in intensity (with the naked eye) focusing it down to a spot (to qualify that ... unless there is a significant increase, the naked eye probably wouldn't see it.) Quite honestly, I like the MiniMag LEDs at full flood, it still has a nice hot spot, kind of reminds me of the Streamlight SL-20's.

Curious_character said:
Could that possibly be a problem with the test method?

c_c

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious_character said:
Could that possibly be a problem with the test method?

c_c

It may not be 100% accurate, but it is still a fairly sound method. I used my home built integrating sphere to take the measurements, and while it is not a calibrated or certified instrument it is still a sphere and has a diffuse white coating inside. It has proven to be quite accurate so far.

Luxeon "high dome" LED's will radiate light straight out to the side, even a bit at a downward angle, and with the MiniMagLED the reflector pulls away from the LED, so that light is never hitting the reflective surface.

Here's a pic of the radiation pattern of a Luxeon high dome.

luxeonbeamprofile.jpg

The light is only about 1" away from the wall, so that should give you an idea how much light is lost downward and to the sides.

soapy

Newly Enlightened
I'm about ot perform this conversion. I've had the kit for about a month, and have only just tracked down the elusive AA mag. Of course, once I did that, I lost the kit. I found the kit again today, and it is now on my desk, awaiting my finding the torch again!

So, what sort of performance gain should I expect?

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
soapy said:
I'm about ot perform this conversion. I've had the kit for about a month, and have only just tracked down the elusive AA mag. Of course, once I did that, I lost the kit. I found the kit again today, and it is now on my desk, awaiting my finding the torch again!

So, what sort of performance gain should I expect?
What sort of conversion are you gonna do ?

red_robby

Enlightened
CeilingDweller said:
What sort of conversion are you gonna do ?

The only mod i can come up with is a mini M@g credit card light...all you'll need is a sledge hammer!

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
red_robby said:
The only mod i can come up with is a mini M@g credit card light...all you'll need is a sledge hammer!

Wow! Sounds really pocketable abouthow many wacks do you suggest?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest 5-6 medium wacks. Understand that you WILL need a new cover slide, and the original batteries might not fit as well :).

soapy

Newly Enlightened
It's the NiteIze LED upgrade combo. I swapped them out, but I'm not impressed. It's a 3 LED cluster, and it gave out a bit of smoke when turned on! I pulled the power, and reversed it, and it still works. Not bright, really, I was expecting more. It's about the same as the bulb was, but a weirdly blue/yellow white. At least there are no artifacts in the beam.

The push button, on the other hand, is a bust. Completely useless, it has the wrong thread cut into the plug! I get it in one turn and it jams, with the seal about 3mm off reaching the body of the light! Rubbish!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you didn't cross thread it? The switch from the NiteIze kit fits quite easily on my MiniMags. Though I've heard that there have been some problems with the Ram switches (no first hand experience though.)

soapy said:
The push button, on the other hand, is a bust. Completely useless, it has the wrong thread cut into the plug! I get it in one turn and it jams, with the seal about 3mm off reaching the body of the light! Rubbish!