Anyone have a 9P?

Traglite

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone put a LED head on a 9P? I kind of regret buying it. It is currently my emergency car light. Is their anything anyone has done to their 9P to make it more interesting. The thing is really bright though...

lightinsky

Enlightened
Just picked up the KL3 Led head for my 9P yesterday and I love it. 7 hours regulated, 8 hours decent light and then 50 hours dimishing lower light. Awesome. Glad I got it. It's the best 3 Watt Led and bright as my Inova T3 and throws a little further and is got a cleaner whiter beam than my Inova T3.

Traglite

Newly Enlightened
SF website doesn't say that head goes with the 9P, but I guess it does. Cool. They make it in black too. I was thinking about the KL5, but its serious bucks$$$. I might go your route. Thanks

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 9P with the P91 globe in it is a great way to acheive over 200 lumens. Maybe even the most econimical way to do it.
I could be wrong about that.
In any event another way to go is get a 6 P and add a extender to it giving you more flexability. I like the detonator extender myself.
The 9P is a great light anyway you slice it up.
I do recomend the 6P with extender route for flaxability though. Oh and don't forget the turbo head.!
Yaesumofo

Traglite said:
Has anyone put a LED head on a 9P? I kind of regret buying it. It is currently my emergency car light. Is their anything anyone has done to their 9P to make it more interesting. The thing is really bright though...[/

Raven

Enlightened
I e-mailed SF about the KL3 head, and they said it would work on the 9P, no problem. The only reason I've held off is that the KL3 beam looks pretty narrow.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Yep, KL3 beam is a little narrow, but this boosts the 20 odd lumen outut into a really useful beam. There are brighter throwers, but I now have 2 KL3 heads, and like what I see (apart from the cheap lexan lens on the font).

Paladin

Enlightened
GIVE P's A CHANCE!!!

Here's a family photo of Surefire "Legoism" gone ary. Every time a few extra parts accumulated another flashlight was born. From Left to right:

KT-2/MN16/9P (poor man's M3T)
KL3(gen.1)/9P/Z59
KL3-HA(gen. 3)/9P/Z59 (EDC)
M2-HA/P91/D3 (EDC)
D3
9P
KL3-BK(gen. 3)/Z2/Z59 (handgun companion)
E2D NRA Model
6P (laser products)
3DL (laser products)

Paladin
Captured_2006-12-1_00002.jpg

lightinsky

Enlightened
I don't think the KL3 head is lexan it seems to be pyrex to me. Just got one for my 9P and the beam is not too narrow IMO. 56 bucks can't go wrong for a quick conversion from battery eating 9P P90 to a powerful long lasting 9P Led light.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That tir optic is not some cheap deal.
It is the result of DARPA and SureFire researching together.
Tax dollars at work. It should be a hunk of glass. At leastmine is. The Kl3 really is a bargain. Considder the cost of a single incandecent globe for the flashlight at over $20.00, $56.00 is quite inexpensive for such a hightech hunk of glass and aluminum. The beam is narrow. I still like the SureFire Turbo head on this light a whole bunch.
At the end of the day if it lights your path then it's the right light.
Yaesumofo

lightinsky said:
I don't think the KL3 head is lexan it seems to be pyrex to me. Just got one for my 9P and the beam is not too narrow IMO. 56 bucks can't go wrong for a quick conversion from battery eating 9P P90 to a powerful long lasting 9P Led light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The TIR optics used by SureFire in bezels such as the KL3 are designed in collaboration with SAIC and made from precision molded cyclo-olefin polymer.

1_multipart_xF8FF_3_TIR-001.jpg

(Shelby Chan Photo)

All bezels featuring TIR optics have AR-coated tempered Pyrex windows including the KL3

alkl36.jpg

(Photo by Size15's)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I *love* the KL3 head. I've had several of them in the past. I sold them off and kind of regret it. I've often thought about getting a 6P again and throwing a black KL3 head on it.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 9P in feb and liked the bright light but wasn't too excited about the 1 hour runtime. Ever since I've put the KL3 head on it, the P90 bulb has seen almost no action. The KL3 head is definitely an outside light due to the tremendous throw. Indoors, the KL3 head is on the narrow side, but the narrow beam opens up when you are not confined by 4 walls. The 7 hour runtime is just tremendous since the KL3 head has an almost flat regulation curve of output, which means that your light is just about as bright at the end of the 7 hours as it is at the beginning of it. I also have a 6P body mated to a KL3 head, and I added a clickie to the 9P to make it more interesting. The sole downside to the whole setup is that the 9P is a relatively big light and the KL3 head makes it even bigger. However, it was never meant to be pockable, unless you have really big pockets.

pete7226

Enlightened
I have 2, on one I've added an A19+p91 and am sending the whole thing out to get bored out to fit 2X18650. I currently use it with 2 pila 600s but need to double click to fire it up. Output is spectacular with a whiter light than with primaries. This is my primary light at work (CPD) My second 9p also has a A19 extender using the same pila batteries but with a SRTH turbo head with Arcmania Led module. This is my strongest Led light with awesome flood and throw. Output is somewhere between the p90 and p91 bulb, destroys my brothers L6,especially in the throw department. Currently making the same changes to a C3 but will be using my KT1 and either a N2 bulb I have or a MN16.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Traglite said:
Has anyone put a LED head on a 9P? I kind of regret buying it. It is currently my emergency car light. Is their anything anyone has done to their 9P to make it more interesting. The thing is really bright though...

I haven't done this with my 9P, but one thing that could make it more interesting is rechargeable batteries.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't found the 9P alll that exciting in itself but I have both the KL3 (highly recommended for the reasons mentioned in the comments above) and a KT2 turbohead, which is how I use it most of the time. The KT2 is a terrific, compact powerhouse.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
The 9P with the P91 globe in it is a great way to acheive over 200 lumens. Maybe even the most econimical way to do it.
I agree. It was not available for a while that's why I got a C3. the P91 200 lumens is impressive. Now with "Wolf Eyes" multi hundres lumen options are economically priced without sacrificing durabilty or perfomance.