Q's on YG Lasers and starting the hobby

dyyys1

Enlightened
First, is there a yellow-green laser? IIRC, yellow-green is the color with the greatest apparent brightness, so it seems like a yellow-green laser would have a greater "wow" factor than others.

Second, I am thinking about buying a laser to play with. What would you recommend as a "starter" laser, something appropriate for someone who hitherto has only used red? A green is the best for just playing with a laser, pointing at the stars, shining on far-off things, etc., right? What power would you recommend? 5 MW?

Third, what are the dangers of getting this level of laser? Obviously I don't need to shine it in my eyes, but at what point to I need safety glasses just to use it?

Thanks for your help and sorry there are so many questions. You don't have to try to answer all of them.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I'd say anything under 150mw is safe for bare eyes. Just don't stare at the dot directly if you're close to it. Anything higher and you might want goggles.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Depends on what you want it for. If your just gonna go outside and point at stars, a 5 to 10mW will do you fine. If you are going to stay inside and create mayhem in your home you will want a 70mW+ to burn stuff and pop ballons, but you will NEED goggles for that. A stray reflection from a 50mW laser can and will damage your eye. I would read a few of the saftey posts in the various forums to make sure you understand the dangers of lasers. then as any CPFer will tell you, go buy two... :grin2: