Heater hose

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So simple, right?

Wrong.

With a bit of searching on CPF, I found that 5/8" standard heater hose works well as a spacer for 3CR123A>2C. At Ace Hardware's website, they list 5/8" standard heater hose for $4.29. I used the store locator to find the nearest one (on Pruneridge, in Santa Clara) to my house, and I went there today.

I found a tiny mom-and-pop operation with very little selection. Guess what? No 5/8" heater hose. The guy at the front actually seemed puzzled when I asked where the heater hose was. They had some 1/2" in the back, but no 5/8".

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Does anyone know a good place to get 5/8" heater hose?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super awesome. I just went on Autozone's website and looked for heater hose, gave up when it asked for particular car models, and called the nearest store. Here is our conversation after their greeting:

"Do you carry 5/8" standard heater hose?"
"Uh huh."
"...You do?"
"Yes."
"Oh. Excellent. Thank you."

I was quite surprised.

I guess I'm going to Autozone! :)

Thanks, Manzerick.

VWTim

Enlightened
Ya, it's standard enough most parts stores should keep it bulk. Also worst case, call you auto repair shop, many big shops keep spools of it in stock.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not problem kind sir! My 3 years of minimum wage work there has paid off :)

TigerhawkT3 said:
Super awesome. I just went on Autozone's website and looked for heater hose, gave up when it asked for particular car models, and called the nearest store. Here is our conversation after their greeting:

"Do you carry 5/8" standard heater hose?"
"Uh huh."
"...You do?"
"Yes."
"Oh. Excellent. Thank you."

I was quite surprised.

I guess I'm going to Autozone! :)

Thanks, Manzerick.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, don't knock minimum wage - it's still a wage! :grin2:

Compared to zero income, or even a moderate allowance, a job provides oodles of money. My paid internship has paved the way for a Gladius, LK12, video player...

So anyway, I went to Autozone just before they closed, and I got heater hose. They sell it by the very approximate foot ($1.19/ft). I requested "eh, five or ten feet?" and the guy eyeballed ten feet. I asked him, "so, this is ten feet, right?" He said, "well, it's ABOUT ten feet, but it's not, you know..." and I reassured him that I meant "ABOUT ten feet" as well. In fact, I just measured it with my measuring wheel (woohoo! Its first use!), and I got 12'7". Cool.

Buckeye

Enlightened
I'm glad you found what you were looking for. For anyone else reading this thread. From my experience, I found the 5/8" heater hose at Lowe's sold by the foot, ($1.23 IIRC). Home Depot had it in 10' or longer lengths, not by the foot. YMMV. BTW, I asked for a foot and he gave me two and charged me for one.:grin2:
Doug

swampgator

Enlightened
Buckeye said:
BTW, I asked for a foot and he gave me two and charged me for one.

Works with rope too! Lots of hardware stores that sell rope like by the foot will have various lengths painted on the floor. Usually the clerk will wind up with a wide loop around the turn around point. End result is that 10 foot sometimes winds up being closer to 12-15.

Bigger outlets like Lowe's and Home Depot usually run the rope through a foot counter and cut it exactly at the desired length.

Waffle

Newly Enlightened
With 12'7" of heater hose you should be set for a long time.

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
Ace is a co-op, not a franchise, so they're not required to carry any item. However any place that has a decent plumbing dept. will have 5/8 to connect dishwasher air gaps.