Help with wiring LED position/fog lights!

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Guys,

I've recently bought some LED position lights/fog lights for my car but not sure what is the best way to wire them up. Heres photo of them I took off another site.

**Hotlinked removed. CPF rules prohibit hotlinking**

I have bought all the necessary gear such as wires, connectors, resistor packs, switch and shrink wrap.

The fogs need 12V DC each, but I am not sure what circuit I should be using for them. I'm not very good with electronics and only know of a series or parallel circuit. I'd be grateful if someone can give me some advice on this.

I read that LEDs used on cars are best used with resistor packs which will protect them. So I will need to wire one resistor pack per position light.

My initial idea was to wire the 2 lights in parallel connecting to the back of the cigarette lighter socket. But I wasn't sure if this will provide each light with the 12V that they need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently bought some LED position lights/fog lights for my car

I believe that once you have them hooked up you will find they are good for marker lights to show people where you are, but worthless as fog lights to drive by.

The fogs need 12V DC each, but I am not sure what circuit I should be using for them.

I would like to suggest you get them a current regulator to keep their power nice and steady. LEDs dislike voltage spikes.

My initial idea was to wire the 2 lights in parallel connecting to the back of the cigarette lighter socket. But I wasn't sure if this will provide each light with the 12V that they need.

Do you know how much power they draw? If it is modest this would work fine. This is what I do with my own LED lights, although I have a defeat switch for when I don't want to sit there and light up the neigborhood.