Maximum potable throw instant start up.

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I have searched so please be gentle with me if this is a no brainer. I am looking for a light optimised for throw, within reason money not a problem and a run time of 10 -15 minutes would be enough. HID doesn't appeal as instant on would be useful. Now of course "The Torch" is awesome but slight overkill, larger than I would like and not completely optimised for throw but of course throws like a good un. I have seen the Aleph 3 and like the form factor but wouldn't I be better waiting for a Cree or even better surely a focused lens would suit me better as spill is not what this light would be about? Does anyone mainstream or custom make such a light. Small enough to go in a kit bag or even a big pocket at a pinch (Say aleph 3 size) maximised for output with a narrow spotting beam shape.

Geologist

Enlightened
Partially depends on price.....BUT

A Mr. Bulk Lion Cub or Chameleon with the LionHead/ChameleHead makes for a light that you can put in your jacket pocket (with R123 tube it is 4-5"), and it throws like a light sabre! The lights came stock with T-Bins, but stars are easy to change. For great pics, check out Cones' stuff review site!

Geo

ps - pm me if I can help in any way!

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
I have an M3 with the high output head and it's very bright but a focused mag 4D seems to have as much if not more throw despite having a much lower output. It has to be down to the focusing. Variable focusing will have real problems I can see but if all you want is all the photons going in a straight line a shaped lens matched to the reflector should be able to do a good job of that?

Guess I need to see if a turbo head M3 4 or even 6 is small enough for my purposes.

I do like the look of the Lion cub/heart/chameleon but can't seem to find much on the heads etc.

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Here's a pic of the Mr. Bulk Chameleon with regular body & bulk/chamelehead. As Geo said, throws like a lightsabre and 1 of 3 of my lights to hit the building in the 2nd pic, albeit dimly (the other being my Mac mini-HID & a 4D stock maglite on fresh batteries).

Reference

Chameleon w/Chamelehead, CT5/Lvl5 (click on pic for larger/clearer version)

(Mac's mini-HID)

From my corridor pics (best seen full-size):
1. Reference 2. Chameleon w/chamelehead 3. SuperFlashlightIII (which uses a cutdown Aleph 3 reflector with a LuxV)

Other choices to consider could be the Peak Rainier (the red one below), which is only slightly larger than that silver Fenix L1P on left in the first pic. It is a throw-optimized light, but you won't get the throw of a larger reflector. If your definition of "small" extends to an about 1D cell maglite, then Mac (cmacllel) makes some great mods that utilize that very throwy mag reflector. It all depends on the size of the reflector =)

Last edited:

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
As seems to be the way here I am waiting for a Cree Chamelon and head as one option and signed up for "The torch" as a slightly bigger madder option.

JimmyB

Enlightened
These are Surefire 6P based lights with KT2 and SRTH turboheads. Both are running the N2 lamp and unprotected rechargeable batteries. They are excellent throwers for their size and may fit your criteria. Runtime for each is somewhere around 30 minutes. They are however, incandescent and not regulated.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'd suggest that you check out the 'Stunner' on the Electrolumens site. He has a forum here in the manufacturer's area.

I've got one, it is a 4D light that balances well and is set up with 8 K2's putting out a total of about 1,000 lumens. I've had mine for a couple of days and it's quite impressive. It will not just throw, but easily illuminate an entire house at 100 yards well enough to count the bricks. You get very bright for about an hours, then usable light for several hours after that.

S

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Space Needle" might fit the bill very well. It's basically a single Lux V in a 2C Mag body. From what I've read, it's quite bright, and very throwy. It's probably not very expensive to make or have made, and the 2C form factor could be stuck in a big pocket in a pinch.