WARNING! Check those unknown companies out!

NewsFlash

Enlightened
In the middle of June I ordered something from a company in California. I had done business with them back in the 80's. Their service was totally satisfactory. Back then they were known as a research and publishing company. They researched physical exercise routines, and developed their own programs, with the idea of maximizing (or optimizing) your workout.

This year I recalled that they had a variety of programs, specific for different parts of the body. So what did I do? I went to Google and looked them up, and there they were. I saw that they still had a particular program I was interested in, so I ordered it.

Back in the 80's it had taken about 4 to 6 weeks to receive my order. At the end of July, I called them. I got a pretty lame excuse about how the "order girls" had failed to notify me that the program in question was out of stock. Also, they had changed printing companies. Called the middle of August, still not ready. I gave them to the end of August, still nothing.

By this time I had a bad feeling about it. I wondered if the Better Business Bureau was online. It is. www.bbb.org The company in question has an unsatisfactory rating, with numerous allegations of non-delivery of product or failure to receive a refund. In two cases refunds were issued, all other complaints not answered.

The amount in question is not a huge sum, but it is still theft. According to Federal Trade Commission laws, a mail-order company has 30 days to deliver or send you a letter in writing as to why you have not received your order. As I understand it, you then have 7 days to request a refund (I think I'm right on this), and they must credit your account within 1 billing cycle. The company I ordered from has already broken the law (DUH)!

I have contacted my credit card company and the amount in question is in dispute. I also am filing a complaint with BBB (whatever good that does).

The moral of the story is, if it's been a while since you ordered from a company, at least check them out (again)! This posting is NOT aimed at any company who is trying to make an honest buck!
frown.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
The BBB was very helpful when I had a problem with this company that sent me unordered merchandise after I made an initial purchase. I don't know what the BBB did, but the company sent me an apology letter and stopped sending me anymore unordered stuff.