Inova Radiant Series - Opinions

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPFers,

I just wanted to get your opinion(s) on Inova's Radiant series. There are a TON of these at my local Fry's and I was just wondering if they're any good or not... They use Luxeon I LED, right?

I'd appreciate any opinion(s).

Thx!

-lightUup

LG&M

Enlightened
I have the 2AAA it's not a luxeon it is a CS I think. Good light for the price. I think flashlight reviews has the info on all of them.

Coop57

Enlightened
I have the 2 AAA Radiant and it is a great light. Very bright, not a ton of throw but nice and floody. Great light for reading or peeing at 3am. 99% of my lights are metal. The radiant is some type of rubber/plastic/synthetic and I can hold it in my teeth without that nasty metal taste/smell. Long run time on any type of batt. Overall a great light at a good price.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
how weird.. I was just thinking about this light when this popped up. My uncle picked one up at Frys (aa version). It's probably about the same or slightly less bright than my fenix L0P-se on high. great looking light. I like the sqare shape. :)

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Coop57 - I also have the 2-AAA and it's a nice little light. The output is fine for finding the cable behind the computer, reading, or digging in a dark corner of the garage. And it's relatively light weight. It's floody and bluish, not something you'd use to see things very far away. Brightness is roughly the same as my Mini-Mag with the 3-LED drop-in lamp replacement. It ran for over 4 hours with some 780 mAh NiMH cells, with pretty constant output. I didn't try it with alkalines, but would guess it'd have a nice long tail of decreasing light if I did.

c_c

DrJ

Enlightened
Fry's had the 2*AA version on sale for $10 a few weeks ago, so I picked up a couple...one has the donut hole beam problem (see flashlightreviews)...but the other does not...in either case, a really good deal at that price.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Anyone got the C-Cell version?
I am getting one for my grandma who was able to break a LightWave 2 C-Cell (the one with 7 LEDs) in two! :green:
bk

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
I am getting one for my grandma who was able to break a LightWave 2 C-Cell (the one with 7 LEDs) in two! :green:
bk

:huh: What do you feed her? :whistle:

EDIT: I hope her dimentia isn't too bad. Sorry to hear about it. Give her a hug from me.:)

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
:D A few years ago she was stronger than any of us, but now she is getting old and suffers from dementia ... so I am unsure how she did it ... but she handed me the two halves some weeks ago :green:

As she can't adapt to new user interfaces she will need something traditional, not too small and not too big, not too heavy, with "normal" batteries.

I thought the Inova 2 C-Cell would fit the bill.

bk

EsthetiX

Enlightened
carrot said:
They are pretty good but for not much more $ you can get the Victorinox LED lights series, which is basically the Radiants with metal casings and higher outputs. http://felinevet.sosakonline.com sells 'em for a good price.

Doesn't physically resemble the Radiant in any way. The radiants have a totally classic square shape. If they had metal cases that'd be sweet.

thunderlight

Enlightened
I have the 2AA Victorinox and the 2C Radiant. I like them both, but I do not like the tail switch on the 2AA Radiant and find it kind of big and bulky for a 2AA configuration. The 2C has a side switch, which is appropriate for the ergonomics of this particular light. IMHO, the output of the 2C matches or surpasses the reflectorized Inova X0. [Of course, it is twice the size.]

NOTE: I had and accidentally broke a 2AA radiant so I had some experience with it. It is very durable light, but I managed to jam something inside of it and broke something off. This would not occur in normal use. However, it was the bulkiness and the tail switch that turned me off. If I recall, the light output was good for a 2AA light.

Illum

Flashaholic
carrot said:
They are pretty good but for not much more $ you can get the Victorinox LED lights series, which is basically the Radiants with metal casings and higher outputs. http://felinevet.sosakonline.com sells 'em for a good price.

they are essentially radiants if you remove the square polymer on the body....

dang it, thanks carrot, now I want one :banghead:

yekim

Enlightened
I have a 2aa radiant. The only thing that really bothers me about it is that the bezel ring easily comes off and the tube easily comes out of the body. A little glue would probably fix it right up.

The beam is awesome, with a perfect cookie cutter round hot spot and decent tint.

It is a little bulky for a 2aa light, but for around the house it is a decent light. For $10 it is a steal and would be a good entry level light for friends and family.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I have the AAA, AA and C. The C is a decent light. ON the smaller ones the tail end clickie is too easy to get bumped on while in a bag, backpack etc. I consider this an almost fatal flaw in those sizes.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I have the Radiant 2-AAA and I second bitslammer's comment regarding the tailcap switch being too easy to accidentally activate. But it is possible to lock out the tailcap so it will not activate by backing it off a couple of turns. Definitely not a thrower but very useful for close up work since it has a pretty floody beam. The lanyard holes in the tailcap are also a nice touch. I carry mine inside a County Comm pocket organizer along with a few other odds and ends but it is small enough to be easily carried in a pocket.

EDCCountyCommPocketOrganizer2006120.jpg