Gladius or SF L5 for SD?

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Hello Peoples,

I've been learning a great deal about lights recently because of this community and would like to thank you all. Here's the question:

Let's assume that both of these lights are sufficient for my intended purposes. I know that we can all get into a big debate on what's truly effective for SD, but for the sake of this thread, let's please keep it focused on either-or. If you would like to contribute tips or thoughts about SD that you think will help me and is relevent to this thread, then your input is always welcome and appreciated. Again, I just don't want this to turn into a debate (as much as I love to debate).

My intended wants/uses:
SD for night or low light environments
Impact weapon
Pocketability
Edge Retention (wait... this isn't BF)

So the Pros and Cons I see:

Gladius:
Pros:
-Various features, both for fun and effectiveness. Let just be real here, I'll be having fun with my light for most of the time it's with me.
-Throws farther
-Has the ability to last longer b/c of low settings
Cons:
-Lower lumens
-Battery changing might be difficult

SF L5:
Pros:
-Higher Lumens
-Material might be more effective as an impact weapon??
-Easier battery changing without risk of damage
Cons:
-One setting
-Throws not so farther
-1 oz heavier (I think)
-Might get blackberry thumb trying to "strobe"

I would love some input on how either of these feel in the pocket (weight, size, shape). Also, I'd appreciate similar lights in this price range that may be able to compete with these lights. For those who train in SD, let me assure you that:
This will not be my primary weapon.
I train with my toys.

Thanks Again!

sp5it

Enlightened
You can use L5 with 18650 rechargables - needs boring - piece of cake.
Gladius is flickering on rechargables.
Mike

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to chime in and say that the Gladius battery change procedure is really not that difficult. It adds ONE STEP to the common open-replace-close, and that step allows the light to have multiple channels.

I've heard that the Gladius is not very pocketable because of its lugs. However, it comes with a most excellent holster.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Bill97z said:
What about an E2D?

I prefer an LED, thanks for the suggestion.

sp5it said:
You can use L5 with 18650 rechargables - needs boring - piece of cake.
Gladius is flickering on rechargables.
Mike

Not too concerned about rechargeables.

Last edited:

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
Just want to chime in and say that the Gladius battery change procedure is really not that difficult. It adds ONE STEP to the common open-replace-close, and that step allows the light to have multiple channels.

I've heard that the Gladius is not very pocketable because of its lugs. However, it comes with a most excellent holster.

Do you know if it's more annoying than difficult to keep it in the pocket? I'm not interested in wearing a holster, at least most of the time.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... To test your inquiry, I put my Gladius into my front pocket for the first time ever. I can barely tell it's there, and my Gladius has an FM34 on it.

Bottom line: it is neither annoying nor difficult to pocket.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
I'd say go for the Surefire. My feeling is, if you're in a situation where you need to use the light for self-defense, the simpler the operation the better, especially if you're using it in conjunction with a handgun. In a high stress scenario, your ability to perform complicated tasks is greatly inhibited.

I can't quite understand these multi-function lights for tactical use - unless you're an actual operator who trains with them day in, day out and the operation of your light becomes second nature. It goes down so fast, do you really think you'll have time to think about which level of light you need? You're just gonna want as much light as you can get in as short a time as possible. The SF will give you that, every time.

I'm also not clear on why people want a light that doubles as a skull crusher. It's a flashlight first, surely. There are many other items you can carry that will function far better if you feel you might have to deck someone. A sap, for example. Or the shorter ASP baton... brass knucks... a roll of pennies in the hand, to name a few. Why risk damaging a $200 light on someone's thick head?

My two cents...

Last edited:

David_Web

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the holster for the Gladius?
If not you should!

I don't have any of the light but I like the gladius better for it's functions.
However I would not say no to any of them.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I have both lights and if one-to-one defence is your priority, then go with the Gladius for its tighter throw (slightly more blinding power) and strobe which is excellent at close distance and low lighting. However, the hotspot at combat distance is a bit small so some attention will need to be paid when it comes to aiming the hotspot at the attacker's eyes. Also, although the Gladius is quite easy to use, it may not be quite that instinctive in stressful situations IMHO. It's also likely that if you're holding a gun/knife/primary defensive weapon in one hand, then the flashlight is likely to be in the other hand which is most probably not the master hand. For this reason, it would be good if any toying/accustomisation of the flashlight be done with the non-master hand.

Meanwhile, the L5 would make a better outdoor exploration light because of its stronger sidespill, making area searches quicker. I think both would function equally well as impact weapons but this also depends on your preferred grip.

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Doesn't the Gladius come on in full power on each possible channel? Yes, it might be strobe (1-in-3 chance, as that is one of the three channels) or momentary, but it should turn on in full power whenever the tail button is pressed, no? In a high-stress situation, I should think that should be adequate to light up the desired subject regardless of settings.

Then again, I'm no Navy SEAL, either.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I use a gladius on my duty belt and I see one down fall...

The switch is so sensitive that I have to lock-out the tailswitch to keep it from accidently turning the light on all the time. I you carry it in your pocket you would probably have to do the same. So everytime I use the light I have to unlock it...Which to me is no big deal. But it would cost you a second or two in an intense situation. I don't notice this because light I use for intense situations is mounted to a Glock .40 :grin2:

I also do not own an L5 so I cannot comment on this particular light. I do however agree that simple is better in a panic, and the L5 is definately simpler to use.

All in all, I love my gladius(And I use rechargables and do not notice any flickering), It is a wonderful tool. Is it the best?? I don't know....but it's the best that I own for both power and function, and is also very small compared to the other lights I have.

I love the strobe feature for flagging idiot drivers around traffic accidents, you know the ones that pay no attention to the road because they're to busy trying to see what's going on. It really gets thier attention, and thats what I need. They need to be watching for me instead of looking for blood and gore.
IMHO

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i personaly would go for the surefire l5

one it has a combat grip so if you in wet invirment it wont slip
two it is a little bulkeaker but easeir to hold one to
three it is a surefire so if you wanted to modify it to how you like it it is possble when gladius is not

i hope this helps and i know you will enjoy the l5 if you go that way and you wont be dissapionted.

supes

Enlightened
I personally would go for the Gladius. I don't have a L5 and never used one but I have a L6 and C2 body, which is almost the same thing. To me both of these lights aren't pocket friendly but I EDC a E2e so take it for what it's worth. I would want the strobe feature in my "SD light", it's just an added bonus and the throw is better on the Gladius. I do love flood though, and the L5 has more of it.

The battery changing isn't that difficult once you get use to it. Just make sure the tailcap is ON the threads before turning. Plus, if you have to change batteries in a SHTF situation, I hope you have a second light on you for quicker access. I do question the Gladius tailcap though sometimes.........and simpler IS better...dangit back to square on...... :ohgeez:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find it easier to change batts in the Gladius than in a light like a Mag. The reason for this is that the Mag's tailspring is very thick and stiff, and you need to align the threads properly (all while compressing the thick tailspring) to avoid cross-threading. In the Gladius, alignment is much easier - just rotate the polymer channel selector until it drops into place, and you're good to go.

For those who want more flood or spill on their Gladius, I HIGHLY recommend Surefire's FM34. It completely diffuses the hotspot.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I'm still leaning towards the Gladius. I just think I'll enjoy it more and it won't be a slouch for its purpose. I've been reading up on some threads about the Gladius- I understand that the lights with serial numbers lower than 5000 are the older models. I'm looking at some on eBay and the model numbers are 75200BK. Does that number indicate whether this is a newer model or not?

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
75200 is not a serial number. They're only at the low 20,000s.

Unless the price is really, really low and offered by a reputable seller, I would recommend buying from a more well-known dealer. LAPG sells them, and I got mine at strategosintl.com.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ignoramus said:
SF L5:
Pros:
-Material might be more effective as an impact weapon??
Cons:
-Might get blackberry thumb trying to "strobe"
I own a L5 and bought two add ons:
- a G&P Strobe switch, available at lighthound.com. It provides a perfect strobe for the L5. Doesn´t look too good on that light but if you prefer a strobe that´s the switch you want on a L5.
- a TAD TIC, available at tadgear.com. If you consider your flashlight a possible impact weapon you could enhance that "feature" big time with that TIC.

Eric