Going to produce a 1*CR123A flashlight with CREE core.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Hi. Lads.
So great to join in this forum.
I am going to produce a new model of LED flashlight with CREE core.
The LED chips are from CREE, and assembled by a Taiwan company.
It's 2.5W, and can get 120~140 Lumens at 3.7V/700mA.
I'd like to use a 1*CR123A aluminium body.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Can you give us some more details? Reflector? Optic? Multiple levels? 700mA from a single 123 is going to tax that poor cell.

How is the chip going to be packaged? Attention to proper thermal management is critical if you are going to get the stated output. The chip is but one small part of the overall LED package. Without proper attention to thermal issues, you'll have "just another high brightness LED".

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
cool

time frame?

price range?

artist rendering?

schematic?

anything?

neoseikan

Enlightened
Yes. It's a little cheaper I think, and the emission degree is 120

myk

Enlightened
neoseikan said:
Hi. Lads.
So great to join in this forum.
I am going to produce a new model of LED flashlight with CREE core.
The LED chips are from CREE, and assembled by a Taiwan company.
It's 2.5W, and can get 120~140 Lumens at 3.7V/700mA.
I'd like to use a 1*CR123A aluminium body.

Super. Can't wait to see the pictures of it. We prefer hard anodize/type III anodize around here, or shiny metals, and anti reflective coated mineral glass lenses.

Let us know if you need input anyone to test the samples =)

neoseikan

Enlightened
The sample will be made next week, and more LEDs will be available at the end of December or the begining of 2007. That's a pity. And the design may be copied from an older model:
6w-title.jpg

The reflector, I am still trying to find the best ones made in China, but no result yet.

neoseikan

Enlightened
I am planning to add a DC-DC circuit, and dual mode.
The price range: $13~19

neoseikan

Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
neoseikan, 120 degree? nice, that should do well with a reflector.

Thank you! Isaac. I' looking for the best relector for it.

BTW, what' is the 3 cup flashlight in your sign?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm... getting 700ma from a cr123 will make the runtime really short!! getting 700ma from a R123 will be super super short!

neoseikan

Enlightened
bitslammer said:
Yeah but I've got a bunch of them and a carrier to take.

I always use LIR123A (16340) too. If the flashlight can last for about a hour, is this OK?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
neoseikan: It's a 2D Maglite that I modified. It runs on 3xC NiMH cells sleeved with 1" PVC pipe to keep them from rattling. The tail cap spring was cut down and resized, and fits where the spare bulb used to. I removed anodizing in the bottom of the tail cap so it conducts. The LED's are Luxeon3, bin TXOK. The reflectors are IMS brand 20mm. They are direct drive from the 3C NiMH as the "K" voltage forward of the luxeons is a perfect match. It drives them at around 1 amp each. The heatsink is from a member on here by "modamag". I have thermal grease on the heatsink and on the threads of the head of the maglite and body. The aqua glowing things you see I made with aqua strontium aluminate glow powder, mixed with epoxy and poured in a large drinking straw as a mold.

It's pretty nice and lights up a large area with lots of spill light so you don't have to move it back and forth. I will soon be building a new one with 4 cree xr-e emitters, and put it in a 3C cell maglite. :)

EDIT: I forgot to say the picture of the led next to it, I created in from scratch in Adobe PhotoShop. The original is much larger in size. It's my rendition of a LuxeonV cyan led.

Last edited:

lukestephens777

Enlightened
I personally think AA lights, using either alkalines or nimh's are the way to go. For the mass market especially. 123's are a great battery but they are too expensive and their capactities are too small. In a small light i think multiple levels are a must. A really low, 4-5 lumens a normal level and a high would be great! Also HA III, mineral glass lenses and aluminium reflectors are a must for a truly quality light.

Just my $0.02 worth!