Where have all the users gone?

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of lights.

Another thread made me think of this.

The guys that get the lights muddy. That take them were there is no light. That drop them down the sides of large rocks and mountains. The guys that go into the inky dark to find where the cattle are. The guys that use them all the time outside of the home.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
No cattle around here, closest thing to it is trucks filled cows going to the slaughterhouse :D I always say the same when I see some of these trucks: See you in a couple of days... my home, for dinner is OK... in my plate :)

I use my flashlights on a regular basis.

Pablo

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Wish I was more of a "user". I guess that would help to justify my addiction. Or, maybe it's a good thing that I don't really need them that often. Still, I do get a kick from them, needed or not. And that's a good thing.

Geoff

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first arrived here I think there were quite a few. Use of a light was talked about not just lights. Just doing a tiny bit of reading makes me think they are more scarce now.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are on a roll tonight, JonSidneyB. I feel yer pain, man! :D

Sometimes I come really close to losing it reading threads about lanyards. My opinionated thoughts on lanyards go way beyond protecting lights from dings incurred when lights hit the floor after falling out of pockets while sitting in armchairs. I'm not saying that that's not a good use for lanyards -- only that there is so much more to them that have evolved from more serious endeavors.

I feel the same way about threads asking about the best bench sharpening jig to sharpen knives. I actually answered one of those threads and suggested an EZ Lap and they thought I was crazy. Actually I was crazy to think that the poster could be interested in ever sharpening his knives outside of his house, in the field. My bad.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live out in the sticks. It gets DARK outside at night around here.
It gets dark INSIDE too, when the power goes out, which happens pretty often. :candle:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I did a search and I'm glad Size 15's is still posting, a big Surefire fan. He has posted about using lights in real use since the early days of CPF. I'm sure there are other's as well.

JonSidneyB said:
Of lights.

Another thread made me think of this.

The guys that get the lights muddy. That take them were there is no light. That drop them down the sides of large rocks and mountains. The guys that go into the inky dark to find where the cattle are. The guys that use them all the time outside of the home.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
User here, too.

One of my businesses is heavy equipment repair. Mostly at night, in the woods or on construction sites, and in less-than-ideal conditions. I drop my lights in mud, on gravel, in water and snow. I get welding splatter and water and all manner of fluids on them. I wash them with carb cleaner or soap and water. My pocket rubbed the black paint off of my yellow SL PP Lux AA in a week. I beat the hell out of my lights and they show it, but they still work. I must admit, I've dropped my jaw a couple times over people complaining about a scratch. I was honestly wondering why anyone would care. I'm now understanding that the toughest conditions most lights see is being in someone's pocket with their keys, and that a single scratch is actually visible and noteworthy.

All that said(this may cost me my flashaholic status)...........I still don't buy high dollar lights. My work lights are LED modded D cell Mags and my SL PP Lux AA. Yeah they're big and clunky and heavy, but that's been no big deal. I like replacing batteries every couple of nights using commonly available rechargeables, and being able to use commonly available primaries if necessary. I've had 100% reliability.

Works for me. :buddies:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the suburbs, where there is AC light everywhere. I use my lights whenever I get the chance, but it's rare.

Me sad. :(

RCatR

Enlightened
My only "shelf queen" is a 6d mag I haven't had time or cash to modify yet

everything else including my (1) surefire gets used all the time.

sometimes my lights get lost while chasing raccoons, sometimes they get broken, but i'd rather lose/break a light while using it than have it safe and sound hunting white walls

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess what gets me going once in awhile where people will state what the world does and does not need but only from where they are standing. Need is a funny word they way it is used however.

I really don't need a fork and knife. If I need to cut I can bash some obsidian and use the long fragments. Well, I really don't need that either but that is taking the meaning further then I think was intended.

Sometimes there is an implication no one acually uses the stuff. When people say those kind of things it offends me. I think it is great that people like them just because they are there. I do as well but that isn't the point.

We don't need alot of things such as cars and homes but they are nice to have. I also have no problem with the person that thinks of his car as a toy. That is fine by me but in socioty they have become a tool.

When I see people also make statements like "once you have one of these you will not need anything else". Well doesn't form follow function?
If I am stranded with my car and will be out there along time I don't want a single AA light. I might be better served with something like a 6 D cell light drivng and led. I am not carrying the light, it might have to be used for hours so cars do slam into you. I am just making ups stuff now in order to make a point. If these are not tools who cares what form they take. Itty bitty can make sence, big and large can make sence. I sometimes wonder so we always want the brightest. I say the answer is no. It is fine that others will want the brightest but please don't tell me that it is what I want for every application.